Visa exemption, how to deal with proof of onward travel

Last time we did SETV, this time makes more sense to arrive without a visa and elect for a 30 day exemption (USA passport).

Seeing as we would prefer to extend 30 days more once the first 30 run out, we don't want to buy unusable air tickets.

Given that our travel is more than 24 hours, buying and cancelling a ticket isn't an option.

I thought of buying a ticket 60 days out, but really don't want to commit to that either (departure and arrival airports).

Any thoughts on the cheapest way to prove onward travel without wasting money on tickets we don't intend to use?

Or, what are the cheapest burner tickets you've seen?

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Booked with EVA many times in the past.  EVA did not charge for changing return flights.  I am a USA citizen and always used visa exempt entry method and usually extended my stay.  About 1/2 the time I booked the original return flight past the initial 30 day visa exempt date, knowing or expecting I would likely stay another 25 days or so.  In all cases I never had any issues or questions.  A few times I had the return booked for say the original 28 days but then did an extension and once I got that I then changed my return flight to fit.  Never had any issues or questions come up.  I think as long as you book a round trip flight with a reputable airline they don't care much.  They know that travel plans may change and holding a ticket that while may be for a shorter time span booking, as long as the ticket is valid for a longer period of time, all is well.  For instance my EVA ticket was typically good for 90 or 180 days from the first usage.  That is the important thing I think as it shows a valid return, albeit flex dates.  Twice I booked an open return ticket that had no explicit return date, and again, no issues anywhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Immigration themselves rarely check, it's your airline who may give you issues and not let you board.

A few options:-

• Do nothing until you are rejected then buy a cheap flight from BKK to somewhere (research where so you can do it online from the airport).
  • Buy a cheap ticket to somewhere you'd like to visit outside Thailand before going to the airport (less stressful than the above).
  • Book your initial return flights within 30 days then change them (potentially costly).
  • The airline may let you sign a waiver saying that you will cover the cost of the return flight if you are denied entry to Thailand.

China Southern Airlines let me sign a waiver, though had to wait for a supervisor as the check in girls were very "Computer said no" once the supervisor arrived he had no problems letting me board.

There were no problems boarding with Oman air, my trip is for 86 days using the visa exempt system, Thailand, Cambodia, Thailand.

Thanks, all good thoughts.

To address my situation in regard to the comments:

-this is the second half of a round trip, and I haven't booked a one-way back yet.

-getting a Visa is not an option. Closest place is 700 miles away and I'm days from the trip.

I flew Eva one-way my first time to Thailand, and didn't have a flight out. They were not going to let me board until I showed them the SETV, then the supervisor waved me through.

At least for AirAsia (done it with them), but I assume for most/all airlines :unused tickets you get a refund of the airport tax:The cheapest flights around are often just 1200 Baht of which 700 is tax:so in the end the throw-away ticket costs you only 500 Baht. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I flew Eva one-way my first time to Thailand, and didn't have a flight out. They were not going to let me board until I showed them the SETV, then the supervisor waved me through.

That is normal. An onward flight is not needed when you have a visa. If travelling without a visa or onward flight, make sure you look well groomed and affluent. You are asking the airline supervisor to waive their normal policies. You may well need to sign an indemnity form anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

At least for AirAsia (done it with them), but I assume for most/all airlines :unused tickets you get a refund of the airport tax:The cheapest flights around are often just 1200 Baht of which 700 is tax:so in the end the throw-away ticket costs you only 500 Baht. 

I do this always when needed with airasia.

Few bahts you can save also by using thai account to pay which is cheapest payment method..

Book a fully refundable (expensive) one-way ticket out of Thailand. One note, do not have that ticket linked to the flight into Thailand. If it is, once you start the trip the airline ticket will not be refundable as the trip has started. I would recommend using a different airline than the one you fly in on if you choose to go this route. 

Is getting a refund of the airport tax when flying with AirAsia also possible? If so, how?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

China Southern Airlines let me sign a waiver, though had to wait for a supervisor as the check in girls were very "Computer said no" once the supervisor arrived he had no problems letting me board.

There were no problems boarding with Oman air, my trip is for 86 days using the visa exempt system, Thailand, Cambodia, Thailand.

The last time I flew with Oman air from Paris, they did not let me on the plane. They wanted me to buy a cheap ticket from BKK to Vientianne. But after half an hour, a flight assistance approached me and asked for my email address, and hey sent me a "reservation" with a smile and a remark: "The prince of Oman gifted me a flight from BKK to Paris, with the hope I would not need it!"

This time I had a "fake flight" to Singapore.  I stayed nearly 5 month (2 extensions 2 border runs), they never actually asked for a flight. (But I changed my return flight 2 times for €150 each, next time I like to stay longer, I fly Thai Airlines, changing of flights is cost free)

There are some websites where you can get a real reservation with a valid PNR without paying. They reserve the flight, and then give you 2-4 days to pay for the reservation (very similar to how old school travel agents work, they can also do this for you if you find friendly ones). While the reservation is "pending", it looks like the real deal. You can even find it via the PNR in the Amadeus system. All you need to do is reserve before your flight, print it out with minor adjustments (in case it says payment pending or anything of the sort), and show it when asked. The reservation will automatically expire after you're safely in the country.

I've used this completely free method for a while now. Never a problem.

I know some people use silly solutions such as paid fake tickets, or paid reservations (essentially as described above, but you pay $5-$15 for the same service).

On 1/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, YogaVeg said:

Any thoughts on the cheapest way to prove onward travel without wasting money on tickets we don't intend to use

For between $7 ~ $15 using one of the onward ticket services you can have a genuine confirmed ticket that will be valid for anything from 24 hours 48 hours and longer for a little more.

just search for onward ticket 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is normal. An onward flight is not needed when you have a visa. If travelling without a visa or onward flight, make sure you look well groomed and affluent. You are asking the airline supervisor to waive their normal policies. You may well need to sign an indemnity form anyway.

I read that if I have a SETV I must have a flight out in 60 days, even if I plan on getting an extension and staying 90. What's what? Anyone?

16 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

I read that if I have a SETV I must have a flight out in 60 days, even if I plan on getting an extension and staying 90. What's what? Anyone?

No you do not need one, although Embassies when applying have different rules if something of sort is needed. 

I just applied at Helsinki. They do have rule of ticket outside to Thailand within 90 days when applying single entry

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:39 AM, BritTim said:

Easiest, and lowest risk, option would be to get a visa. However, if you are dead set on entering visa exempt, @Crossy's advice above is sound.

Hi, just reading some of the posts and not fully aware of the visa rules. I have a 60 day visa for this month, but my flight is on a return in May and my intention was to do a cross boarder drive into Laos for a few days or visit the Thai immigration office and get my passport stamped after 2 months of my stay to carry me through until May, am I likely to encounter any problems at the airport or immigration, if I don`t have a flight booked for my passport? Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

Coming from the US, I'll be using an METV, plan to stay at least six months.

This time I don't want to commit to a return date or airport.

Booked a one way Delta flight to Chiang Mai through Expedia ($565 BZN to CNX) last leg is Korean Air ... is that where I might encounter a problem for no proof of onward travel or would that happen at the first flight?

This will be 4 years in a row that I've done 6 months in Thailand (always with a round trip ticket)  and the passport will show that. Would that history be sufficient to prevent any hassles? 

Have thought about buying a throw-away ticket, but having trouble finding any cheap flights six months from my scheduled entry.

Wondering whether date shown on the 'proof of travel ticket' has to be somewhere in the range of 6 months from entry? 

Thanks,

DS

3 hours ago, MrKFC said:

Coming from the US, I'll be using an METV, plan to stay at least six months.

This time I don't want to commit to a return date or airport.

Booked a one way Delta flight to Chiang Mai through Expedia ($565 BZN to CNX) last leg is Korean Air ... is that where I might encounter a problem for no proof of onward travel or would that happen at the first flight?

This will be 4 years in a row that I've done 6 months in Thailand (always with a round trip ticket)  and the passport will show that. Would that history be sufficient to prevent any hassles? 

Have thought about buying a throw-away ticket, but having trouble finding any cheap flights six months from my scheduled entry.

Wondering whether date shown on the 'proof of travel ticket' has to be somewhere in the range of 6 months from entry? 

Thanks,

DS

you will have a METV visa so won't be required to have an onward flight .

• Thanks 1