BANGKOK
webfact

Toxic smog settles in for long haul

In Chiang Mai in a month or so we'll be wishing for this type of pollution now being experienced in Bangkok..

It's much worse than what's going on in Bangkok now.

Buses and traffic in general are being blamed for it now but from the fire map it looks like the whole of Cambodia and areas around Bkk are on fire. And don't forget the thousands of factories in the city as well. It's a wonder how that filthy dump is not shrouded in this type of aerial muck 365 days a year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, perconrad said:

There are many N95 mask for sale on Lazada

That does not mean they are currently available however or time for delivery (local source I see is rated only 74%%) - and many from other source are shipped from overseas with delay.  But agree it may well be faster than waiting on local drug stores.

Edited by lopburi3

2 hours ago, jmacken306 said:

They need to setup testing stations when you go to renew your car's tag, lets say every 3-5 years, if you pass you get a new tag

Are they not supposed to test that EVERY YEAR after the vehicle is 7 years old, like the UK MOT test, before you can get a road tax disc.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I bought those ones on Lazada

IMG_3281.jpeg

I believe the upgraded dust/fume mask, which I documented in the thread HERE is better (while costing a little more) because it has a one-way exhale valve which, I believe, prevents as much air from potentially bypassing the filter. Also the dust/mask has a very firm cloth facial seal which is also supported by its having the valve. It's also very re-usable because it comes with a spare filter and additional filters can be fabricated from the cheaper, looser-fitting filters such as the one(s) you bought from Lazada.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“It is still not necessary to make Bangkok a pollution-control area,” Pollution Control Department (PCD) director-general Pralong Dumrongthai insisted yesterday. 

However, he acknowledged that the build-up of PM2.5 in Bangkok was high enough to affect the health of people. 

But it's only "the people" and they don't matter !

Acknowledging they have a problem is the problem, that means they have to do something!!

The best they can do is "wait for March"

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Also, we will have to encourage people to switch to electric and hybrid cars,” he added. 

Good luck with finding somewhere to recharge them !!!!

why are they ignoring the root cause? Its black snow season. Meaning time to burn the sugarcane fields. Its over 200 on my pm2.5 unit all night and half the day and occasionally spikes to 500 which is the max of the unit can measure. Every dam year it's the same and when its not its around 100 thanks to illegal charcoal manufacture. Stupid government is lying to the public and not going to spend a cent on the health of thais. They just dont care. Fires are band but whos been fined or arrested? No one! So whos responsible?. A fake government only there for the money for themselves. They should be held accountable. Its a human rights abuse to say nothing needs to be done. 

• Thanks 1

is the government planning on big profits with the introduction of elec cars in the future therefore still blaming the traffic so it encourages people to fork out huge dum taxes?

Any braniac can see its seasonal. but yep its always polluted also....

25 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I believe the upgraded dust/fume mask, which I documented in the thread HERE is better (while costing a little more) because it has a one-way exhale valve which, I believe, prevents as much air from potentially bypassing the filter. Also the dust/mask has a very firm cloth facial seal which is also supported by its having the valve. It's also very re-usable because it comes with a spare filter and additional filters can be fabricated from the cheaper, looser-fitting filters such as the one(s) you bought from Lazada.

I intend to buy a home air filter too, I'm not sure if I understood you did it?

Many many are sold on Lazada. Have you a bit of advice on the subject?

When I see the state of the blades of the fan after a short time I'm afraid I told my wife do you realise we are breathing that? But she does not seem to care at all. So I will buy an air filter maybe like this one?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mitsuta-8-40-70-map650-i100092188-s100109301.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.25.5add42dfiIu35R&search=1

7 hours ago, janhkt said:

"For short-term measures, police are now cracking down on vehicles that emit black exhaust fumes"

Short term? NOW cracking down? If this had happened ages ago, the problem would would not be as severe as it is. <deleted> dimwit. 

Totally agree with your comments as something could have easily been done many years ago and in the 14 years that I have been driving here, the number of filthy black smoke emitting old vehicles has only increased.

Surely there are measures that could have been put in place years ago to take these old clunkers of the road, and whilst on the subject of pollution, the burning was supposed to have been made illegal, but still goes on........... 

And on the subject of burning; now I'm not an expert on agriculture or the like, but it must be possible to be able to plough the rice and sugarcane stubble back into the ground so that burning does not have to occur? Perhaps rather than spending billions of baht on submarines and tanks, the money could have been used to provide thousands of machines to do this, allocating a number to each tambon or the like..............there has to be a better way, but as this is Thailand, affirmative action is a bit like saying that corruption will be cured or that the BIB will enforce the law!!

Farangs who came here complaining about the nanny state back home can't have it both ways....unless, of course things start to affect you personally. Then the government should do more, eh?

Newsflash! You moved to a third world country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

in the 14 years that I have been driving here, the number of filthy black smoke emitting old vehicles has only increased.

Suspect you do not remember the 60'70's when a trip from Don Muang to Sukhumvit was a white handkerchief turned black?  Emissions were, and still are, greatly improved from that period.  But agree black smoke has been appearing all too much in recent years with some very old public vehicles seeming allowed to run.

• Like 1

Now for something else to consider, that is not brought up in comments. Poeple and animals eyes ?

Whats the answer to that?

Swimming goggles?

Next you will be going around outside in bio / hazmat suits too.

Lax laws, lax enforcement of laws.

6 hours ago, mackayae said:

What type of face mask is effective?

The typical "SAVING FACE mask" :cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Farangs who came here complaining about the nanny state back home can't have it both ways....unless, of course things start to affect you personally. Then the government should do more, eh?

Newsflash! You moved to a third world country.

Are you sure you'll be happy to move to a third world country?

Maybe it could be a little warning stamp on the passports, right under the visa  🤭