Handcuffed, drugged with ketamine: Truth behind Thai cave rescue

ezzra

43 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Did anyone publicly deny they were sedated and restrained?

Have you nothing better to do that waste time trolling?

To answer your question; how would I know? I didn't say or claim they were or they weren't. Why ask me?

I was merely passing on a link to a story about a book called "The Cave" written about the rescue. 

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Actually the story is about the parents being told something different to the actual procedure to get them out, but that would be understandable. Is the OP suggesting that the parents should have been fully briefed prior to the action?

Really?? I think the parents would only care about getting them out alive. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 4:30 AM, DanaDeLuxe said:

It probably saved them from a terrifying and traumatizing experience. And made the rescue less dangerous for the divers.

Why is this news now?

Old news. The kids, non-swimmers and panicky, were sedated and secured to their rescuers. Not drugged & handcuffed. Typical Western anti-Asian bias from a commercial propaganda outlet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

It's pretty standard practice to use wrist restraints in a hospital ICU when patients are in a coma or partially conscious if it's thought that they may move about, try to remove tubes, masks, etc.  Wrist restraints would have been a more accurate description than "handcuffs".  

My wrists were tied to my bedrails in ICU when I was connected to an intra-aortic balloon pump after a botched stenting procedure 20 years ago. As I was delirious and thrashing around while constantly attempting to pull everything out. As Nancy has said, sometimes it's necessary for the good of the patient/person.   

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 4:21 AM, Joe Mcseismic said:

So what? If that was the only way to get them out, then, it was the correct decision.

I guess it will give ammunition to a member of the UN Human Rights Council to complain about maltreatment of those youngsters.  Remember Saudi Arabia has a seat on this Council????

Speaking as a person that spent many hours down Potholes and Caves in the Uk when I was a lot younger, and more supple, this was the ONLY viable way to get the trapped kids out.

If you have never been down a Pothole, it is very difficult to describe the conditions and emotions encountered.

The children and their Coach had been trapped for several days, and they would have been in some kind of emotional car crash when found. To have the potential risk of any one of these  kids " freaking out " while being rescued was never going to be an option. Hence the use of the handcuffs ? and drugs 

If a kid was allowed to " freak out " they could have endangered not just themselves, but the rescue workers in their immediate vicinity, and also the complete rescue mission further down the line of rescue workers inside the Cave.

OK ! its not the perfect way to get the kids out in many peoples eyes, but really, It was the only way. And it worked didnt it ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Did anyone publicly deny they were sedated and restrained?

The restraints seem new information, but reasonable. Also worth noting the Aus doctors arranged a deal for diplomatic immunity beforehand to cover themselves. The truth about sedation has been surprisingly restrained. Example:

Junta leader Prayut Chan-O-Cha said the boys had been given a "minor tranquilizer" to prevent anxiety during the complex extraction bid. But he had denied they were knocked out for the operation.

It is standard medical practice to restrain the limbs of patients who are uncoscious or confused, especially during any type of transport. The very fact they were sedated made this imperative. in addition to concerns about their masks dislodging there was a need to protect them from injury from sharp jutting rocks and from getting snagged on anything along the way. During the discussions and simulations it was always clear that they needed to be made as streamlined and compact as possible for ease of extraction.

This is all a non issue. And given how concerned the Aussie doc was about potential liability -- and the governor's statement that the families had been thoroughly briefed on the plan before it commenced -- I think they not only knew but gave written consent for the anesthetic.

The teaching them to dive part was an early plan and as things progressed it was discarded in favor of being basically towed/carried out underwater. The public did not learn if this change until after the fact but that does not mean the families weren't told.

A non issue and unnecessarily sensationalist language.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, seajae said:

another journo trying to sell his book by putting this out there, we all knew they were being sedated and wrapped so they could not remove masks etc in a panic, just trying to sensationalize it to sell his book, by inferring they were doing something wrong when in fact what they did saved their lives, its absolutely pathetic

... reminds me of Al Gore and his book on the global warming scam ☺...  The bottom line on this is that they made it out of that cave healthy and alive. 

6 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Old news. The kids, non-swimmers and panicky, were sedated and secured to their rescuers. Not drugged & handcuffed. Typical Western anti-Asian bias from a commercial propaganda outlet. 

Arent "sedated and secured" and "drugged and handcuffed" the same thing ?

• Like 1

Arent "sedated and secured" and "drugged and handcuffed" the same thing ?
In a way. But the former is neutral in connotation while the latter is negative and sensationalist and implies action taken against someone's will or without their knowledge.

Also "handcuffed" evokes images of metal cuffs used by police which were almost certainlt not what was used as they'd be too likely to snag on rocks.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Naturally the journalist has the proof with  written statements from the boys and all the divers and medics complete with photos.

How strange that none of the boys nor ANY of the rescuers ever mentioned these "facts" at any of the interviews during and after the rescues.

I was aware that they had been injected with tranquillisers, but handcuffed as well?

Can I smell BS or what?
The boys didn't and couldn't tell anything about the 'trip'. That's because what you just read about the rescue is true.

Sent from my G8441 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After the rescue,  a doctor in Europe i happened to know told me the kids had been "sedated" (he was not involved,  he just followed the news). So you can call this fact "widely known".

Sedation here implies fixation ("handcuffs").

Why some officials felt the need to deny this I don't know (one has been quoted above).

Whether the families were informed,  as Sheryl suspects, is anyone's guess. In my country, we would not have informed them. (But then,  we hardly have malpractice suits in my country. )

On 1/16/2019 at 4:30 AM, DanaDeLuxe said:

It probably saved them from a terrifying and traumatizing experience. And made the rescue less dangerous for the divers.

Why is this news now?

Agreed. I thought this was well known. The boys couldn't swim, so the perils ahead would have been terrifying.  

Doping them seems normal.

And the good news of course is they came out alive and well.