Group sets Friday deadline to govt for election date, vows to up the ante with rallies

webfact

Group sets Friday deadline to govt for election date, vows to up the ante with rallies

By THE NATION

3e1d8890f715ea6993992319562dfba9.png

Singer and songwriter Su Boonlieng yesterday debuted a pop song “Knock Knock Knock”, adapted from a popular song “Pratu Chai” [The Door to the Heart] from the 1980s. The song calls for the return of democracy.

WITH THE government failing to fix the date for the election and pushing for it to be delayed by a month, pro-election groups are rallying for a show of strength both in and out of Bangkok to put pressure on the ruling junta.

If a Royal Decree on the election is not published in the Royal Gazette by Friday, the group will hold its fourth pro-election protest at Democracy Monument on Rajdamnoen Avenue this Saturday.

Protests were seen in different provinces in the past week after the government was unable to clarify the election delay, saying it would overlap the royal coronation ceremony in May.

These demonstrations were in addition to the protests around the Ratchaprasong intersection on Sunday that saw at least 500 protesters joining the movement.

Although the ban on political activity was lifted late last year, police are keeping a close watch on the protesters. Protest leaders were finally charged with using an amplifier in a public place without permission.

Singer and songwriter Su Boonlieng yesterday debuted a pop song “Knock Knock Knock”, adapted from a popular song “Pratu Chai” [The Door to the Heart] from the 1980s.

“Knock Knock Knock” calls for the return of democracy, that has been on hold since the 2014 coup.

“I wrote this song because I want younger people to see politics as something colourful. So, I presented this song through younger singers and dancers,” Su wrote on Facebook. “I want them to see that elections should be a routine, that we should do routinely.”

Following mounting pressure, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday: “I’ve always said that the election will follow some conditions.”

The pro-poll group has set Friday as the deadline for the government to clarify its stance on the election but Prayut asked if the group had the authority to impose a deadline for the government.

“I don’t understand this. Everything still follows the same time frame,” Prayut said after the mobile Cabinet meeting in Lampang province. “The election must take place in 150 days and that is May 9.”

Prayut was referring to the time frame set by the Constitution, which states that the poll must be conducted within 150 days of the election organic laws coming into effect.

He said he did not want to talk about it because it was the responsibility of the Election Commission (EC). In determining the election date, the EC had to take into account not only the opinions of involved parties but also the preparations for the coronation ceremony, he added.

The monarchy is the main pillar of the nation, the PM stressed, adding that everyone had to lend a helping hand.

Meanwhile, Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong yesterday said he had no concerns over threats of stepped-up demonstrations, saying the protesters had the right and freedom to do so. His only worry was about trade and tourism being affected by the protests.

However, in response to the deadline set by the pro-poll group, Apirat said they should also draw a line for themselves and try not to cross it.

“Do not cross the line,” he said. “Political groups can do their job. The security forces will also do their job. This is how the system works.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30362317

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-16

After employing a multitude of devious tricksters to invent a constitution allowing the General to stay on and popular parties to be minimised, it has got too complicated for their own simple minds. They have failed to understand all the implications and are also trapped by a coronation they insisted they needed to oversee. Working so hard to put off the voting they are finding it difficult to reverse that position. Not at all impressive as army leaders they are finding organising a rigged national election just too much.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“I don’t understand this. Everything still follows the same time frame,” Prayut said after the mobile Cabinet meeting in Lampang province. “The election must take place in 150 days and that is May 9.”

Using his own words against him.  Cha Cha will not like this. 

40 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

After employing a multitude of devious tricksters to invent a constitution allowing the General to stay on and popular parties to be minimised, it has got too complicated for their own simple minds. They have failed to understand all the implications and are also trapped by a coronation they insisted they needed to oversee. Working so hard to put off the voting they are finding it difficult to reverse that position. Not at all impressive as army leaders they are finding organising a rigged national election just too much.

And now a trigger happy General is moving into the picture, Apirat.

And this forthcoming MASS rally of Thais for democracy will number a staggering, mind-blowing number of (wait for it) ...... 532 people!!!!!

Wow! The Thais (all 69 million of them) are outraged, incensed, incapable of being restrained. You've got to hand it to them: they will NOT tolerate any form of authoritarian, undemocratic government. Come Hell or high water, they will fight back - in their MILLIONS. They've got their principles - and their unassailable courage ....

Oh, sorry. I've just woken up. I must have been dreaming!

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not sure a new song will shift the junta suggest a more favored approach of gold frankincense and Rolex may motivate some movement ????  

Now I know why Prawit's watches are so expensive. They can make time stand still.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not sure a new song will shift the junta suggest a more favored approach of gold frankincense and Rolex may motivate some movement ????  

a more favored approach of gold frankincense Frankenstein and Rolex may motivate some movement.

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Possibly-and I always enjoy reading your thought provoking posts.Have you considered an alternative explanation though.That they are ALL trapped by the coronation date?

There are mightier people than the incumbent PM jostling for power in Thailand.

And,I will just leave it at  that.

I wonder if it is only electric or a non electric amplified megaphone classifies as using an amplifier? Instead of hand holding one they could plainly have well placed people with mics and speakers that would resonate out and out only catching the words of the speaker(s).

The tanks are coming very soon.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“The election must take place in 150 days and that is May 9.

Wrong again, Prayuth, if only you had the brains to look at the election date options, rather than the election date deadline.

What's that? . . . you got confused 'cos both words have an 'n' in them. Oh, and and 'i', too . . . your favourite letter.

His photo in the opposition rag was very unmilitary, he is wearing a white T shirt with a red neckband, plainly visible under his regulation shirt! Not done when out of the barracks old boy! ????

19 minutes ago, TPI said:

Not done when out of the barracks old boy! ????

Him big boss and big bosses can do whatever they want, including changing the dress code regs so they can wear yesterday's T-shirt . . . just to keep the wife's washing down.

Archived