Ban on e-cigarettes under study after enforcement problems emerge

webfact

Ban on e-cigarettes under study after enforcement problems emerge

By JINTANA PANYAARVUDH 
THE NATION 

a1e7883d3c08439b39a458cb5863820f.jpeg

Officials from the Department of Disease Control’s Bureau of Tobacco Control and Office of the Consumer Protection Board arrest vendors selling ecigarettes and nicotine chargers last month at the Liab Duan night market in Bangkok’s RamIndra area.

A REVIEW of the ban on e-cigarettes is being launched in light of difficulties in enforcing the law.

A working panel led by the Commerce Ministry has assigned the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre (TRC) to conduct a study in response to legal hurdles affecting implementation of the ban.

The panel was set up late last year to reconcile conflicting opinions on both sides of the debate about banning e-cigarettes and how to enforce the ban, its chair Keerati Rushchano, deputy director-general of the Department of Foreign Trade, said.

In 2014, Thailand banned the import, sale and servicing of e-cigarettes, with violators facing punishment based on notifications from the Commerce Ministry as well as orders from the Consumer Protection Board.

“But since imposing the ban, authorities have encountered problems with law enforcement,” Keerati admitted to The Nation.

The tourism authority raised concerns that foreign tourists were complaining that they had not even heard about the measure before arriving in the Kingdom.

While the rule bans the import and sale of the devices there is no specific prohibition against actually smoking e-cigarettes, causing confusion among law enforcers, the chairman noted by way of an example of enforcement problems. 

0a53d8b64305a2af44b9df002bd82026.jpeg

“Hence, to solve the problem for the long term, the TRC was assigned to study a [workable] approach towards regulating matters related to e-cigarettes,” Keerati said. 

The TRC will take some six months to complete the study, he said, after which the panel will decide what to do. Whatever leads from the study, it is certain that e-cigarette paraphernalia cannot be imported freely.

The final result, however, will ensure appropriate measures are in place, whether it is the existing ban or another appropriate one such as requiring import licences and registration, he added. 

As for tourists, related government agencies will make an effort to send a clear message to ease confusion, he said. 

However, representatives from concerned authorities have offered different opinions about the ban at the panel meeting, sources told The Nation.

Public Health Ministry officials are insisting that the ban on e-cigarettes remain, as they believe the devices are hazardous to health and will encourage youngsters to start smoking. 

On the other hand, the Food and Drug Administration said it is open to dealing with companies that want to import the devices to Thailand and could register the devices as controlled medicine. 

The Customs Department told the panel that it was ready to levy higher taxes if the import of e-cigarettes is permitted. 

Last year, The End Cigarette Smoke Thailand group submitted 40,000 signatures in a campaign to legalise e-cigarettes. The group suggested that e-cigarettes be viewed as a “controlled” rather than “banned” substance.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30362315

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-16

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webfact said:

authorities have encountered problems with law enforcement,”

It's the same with drunk driving; speeding; riding motorbikes on sidewalks; prostitution; drug dealing; passengers riding in the back of pick-ups; four on a motor bike.  We need more police.

(Sarcasm Alert.)

They should immediately lift the ban because it is utter nonsense, vaping is the answer to stop smoking normal cigarettes.

It is proven that vaping is ±97% less harmful than smoking and helps smokers stop smoking these very deadly cigarettes.

Typical short sighted government officials that are probably on the payroll of Big Tobacco.

Their buds in China have shopping mall sized building devoted to Ecigs.  Malaysia has love show rooms selling hundreds a flavors Ecig juice.  Just another case of Thailand's "nobles" not knowing what is going on outside of Thailand, making Thailand look silly.

So my guess is that after four years the Thai Tobacco Monopoly has finally got all its ducks in a row. They have probably tied up all manufacture and distribution systems, made sure there is no competition, ensured hefty taxes for imports, etc, thereby leaving the road clear for them to monopolise the product.

I see people vaping in public quite often, like nothing will happen to them at all...

And me thinks thailand better puts their policeforce on the trafficlaw to make it safer on the roads. I still see Thai driving against traffic anywhere, and the police don't care at all.

33 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I see people vaping in public quite often, like nothing will happen to them at all...

And me thinks thailand better puts their policeforce on the trafficlaw to make it safer on the roads. I still see Thai driving against traffic anywhere, and the police don't care at all.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

While the rule bans the import and sale of the devices there is no specific prohibition against actually smoking e-cigarettes, causing confusion among law enforcers, the chairman noted by way of an example of enforcement problems. 

I think the above sentence from the OP is relevant in regards people vaping in public with the rule having no specific prohibition against actually using e-cigs.

I have, and use, e-cigarettes on occasion but these days it is mostly at home. All the e-cigs I have by the way, have been purchased in Thailand. I also see them available on Lazada, which is something new over the last couple of months.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

It's the same with drunk driving; speeding; riding motorbikes on sidewalks; prostitution; drug dealing; passengers riding in the back of pick-ups; four on a motor bike.  We need more police.

(Sarcasm Alert.)

Methinks your "alert" should have been placed at the top of your piece...rather than at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I think the above sentence from the OP is relevant in regards people vaping in public with the rule having no specific prohibition against actually using e-cigs.

I have, and use, e-cigarettes on occasion but these days it is mostly at home. All the e-cigs I have by the way, have been purchased in Thailand. I also see them available on Lazada, which is something new over the last couple of months.

Problem is just that the authorities make up their own laws as they please and as foreigner it would probably be wise to just pay up, even though it would be a case you can win in court.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Customs Department told the panel that it was ready to levy higher taxes if the import of e-cigarettes is permitted.

That's it then!  Problem solved!  E-cigarettes will be on the shelves very shortly.

Public Health Ministry officials are insisting that the ban on e-cigarettes remain, as they believe the devices are hazardous to health and will encourage youngsters to start smoking. 

Thai administrators just haven't got the brains of my pet gerbil. Seeing millions of Thai people wandering about smoking will encourage youngsters - what young kid is going to wet his pants and then run about to find an illegal e-cig and juice costing several thousand baht, when he can buy a packet of real cigs for 60B?

These people just blather out the first thing that comes into their heads - known for it.

I do not know if 6 months is sufficient enough time to investigate , after all it’s such a novelty and Thailand has so many experts on the matter, I think  they should be given at least a few years????, then a few more years to deliberate on it , but in the mean time they can send “clear messages “ to tourists. 

How about a massive sign saying vape and it’s 5 years in jail, put it right next to welcome to Thailand and happy new year from BJ cut out in the airports. 

48 minutes ago, simtemple said:

It wouldn't have anything to do with Philip Morris International secretly lobbying the Juanta to overturn the ban to allow their E Cigarette product range to be sold on the market would it ?

Of course not and if it so happens it’s the only company who gets the import license then it’s just a coincidence ????

Same with Cannabis. They never researched that Licences cause the same social problems.  They dont want a Grinning Fool to grow a bit cheaply in the Garden because they cant tax it. The Violence, Theft n Arson against U.S. Licenced growers i doubt has even been noted. Must admit the violence was news to me.

2 hours ago, Lunghans said:

They should immediately lift the ban because it is utter nonsense, vaping is the answer to stop smoking normal cigarettes.

It is proven that vaping is ±97% less harmful than smoking and helps smokers stop smoking these very deadly cigarettes.

Typical short sighted government officials that are probably on the payroll of Big Tobacco.

yes they even trying to do this in Australia apparently it is hurting the big cigarette manufacturers sales are down what the authorities should do now is ban cigarettes. Just could you imagine? like if vaping has to go cigarettes have to go, who knows that might get rid of the smog in Bangkok 

well, on behalf of ECST (ENDs Cigarette Smoke Thailand), I was present at the meeting late last year and thank Ministry of Commerce but the problem lies in Ministry of Public Health who, despite its name, don't care for health of public. And it's not appropriate to have Tobacco Control spearhead the research group since they are lackeys of Dr.Prakit whom opposed ecig stubbornly.

11 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

One of the most ridiculous laws ever. I see people selling them on Sukhumvit, I see people using them in bars etc and they are now saying they have had trouble enforcing it for the last four years ????

You missed the irony. Selling and importing is illegal , as it turns out using it is not.

yet they have been arresting and fining people for using ????

turns out out if you refuse to pay the fine and chose to go to court, you have not broken any laws just by using . 

Now  try to beat this stupidity ????

24 minutes ago, johnarth said:

yes they even trying to do this in Australia apparently it is hurting the big cigarette manufacturers sales are down what the authorities should do now is ban cigarettes. Just could you imagine? like if vaping has to go cigarettes have to go, who knows that might get rid of the smog in Bangkok 

Not sure about other states but in NSW vaping and possession of vape gear is legal, ejuice containing nicotine is illegal , though it’s not strictly enforced , unless they catch you importing a container load 

Archived