Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

webfact

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

things may change

Barnier signals that he might be willing to alter the deal

Signals from Germany and France indicates they might accept pushing forward exit date by 1 year

Too late! LOL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I said if they do nothing the default will be to exit without a deal and this is correct. Doing a deal prior to the exit is optional.

Right now they're doing nothing, if they keep this up the clock will run out on this and we will exit on 'exit day'.

I'm sure they will all join together to prevent this default exit and there will be no agreed deal by this time, they will then amend the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 which states that we will leave the EU on 'exit day' which is defined as 29th March, 2019 at 11pm.

Sit back and watch them amend the above act to delay the exit day well beyond the upcoming European Parliament elections which are at the end of May and start it all over again.

I believe the political landscape in the European Parliament will drastically change this year.

It's worth noting that the higher 'presidential' positions are also up for grabs later this year.

Probably something like that. Operation Fudge continues............

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

things may change

Barnier signals that he might be willing to alter the deal

Signals from Germany and France indicates they might accept pushing forward exit date by 1 year

with that, and with TM as PM

the no-deal Brexit seems to have vanished as an option

our laws are madder than any EU laws,trade deals take years to sort out and we havent even started the process with anyone,our borders will still be breached by immigrants fleeing the rest of the EU to milk our generous asylum benefits system which was made law by OUR goverment,fishing and armys i couldnt give a turd about,they are too minor issues when you are going to destroy an economy,there wont be much money left to fund an army anyway,you are far to patriotic and spend to much time in spoonies listening to baldy tattoo'd geezers,btw iam still waiting for your reply to my question how has the EU affected you PERSONALLY over the years,not that rubbish above taken from the side of a double decker bus

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

If you do not realise that EU desperately needs Britain then you do not understand why Britain has always lead in true democracy in Europe.

Not just the billions that Britain has pumped into this flop of a true democracy

All the EU commentary on forums is to try to make the UK to stay.

That means UK is now in a position to create change. Britain always has been independent. Britain always leads in democracy.

Britain is now in a position to create democratic change. Britain now holds a trump (no capitals please) card.

The unelected EU monsters that run the EU need to have the cash flow dummy removed from their mouths.

Why should any country have unelected unconstitutional laws imposed on them. Time to stop kowtowing

to extremists on law, migration, humour, economics, and freedom to be a democratic country in your own right.

Hold out GB. EU has too much to lose if you leave.

I suppose Brexiters can be forgiven for thinking that just because the UK is the world's 5th largest economy that that means the UK doesn't need the EU because it is such a large a thriving economy that can function independently? To illustrate to Brexiters just how insignificant this is, let's examine this in terms of the size of economies globally, and most importantly, let's examine steep trends and where the UK is projected to be in 10 years, and in Europe, and see if that's true. The truth is some scary sh!t if you're a Briton.

First, don't get too comfy with this idea you are in fifth place. By 2050, the World Economic Forum projects the UK will be down to 10th place. Well, that still seems marginally ok, right? Nope. Because even now, in fifth place, the UK relative economic size is about the size of a pimple on the buttocks of the earth in terms of negotiating power, strength, attractiveness for investment, attractiveness as a global centre.

eu8_S0HTtNOQk2IGJ6z2xdMshxuDoPLsB7OUb46C

A United Europe, including UK, ranks third in size collectively, where a UK, spun off into oblivion by itself, disappears basically into about 1% of global GDP on its own by 2050.

Now, tell me more about all the great trade deals, the proud future of independence and influence this tiny spec will have in the future in the world, let alone in Europe?  The EU will go along fine without the UK. Examine the size of the other economies. The UK will sink.

Wake up UK and grab a lifeline. Remain.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/03/worlds-biggest-economies-in-2017/

9 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I suppose Brexiters can be forgiven for thinking that just because the UK is the world's 5th largest economy that that means the UK doesn't need the EU because it is such a large a thriving economy that can function independently? To illustrate to Brexiters just how insignificant this is, let's examine this in terms of the size of economies globally, and most importantly, let's examine steep trends and where the UK is projected to be in 10 years, and in Europe, and see if that's true. The truth is some scary sh!t if you're a Briton.

First, don't get too comfy with this idea you are in fifth place. By 2050, the World Economic Forum projects the UK will be down to 10th place. Well, that still seems marginally ok, right? Nope. Because even now, in fifth place, the UK relative economic size is about the size of a pimple on the buttocks of the earth in terms of negotiating power, strength, attractiveness for investment, attractiveness as a global centre.

A United Europe, including UK, ranks third in size collectively, where a UK, spun off into oblivion by itself, disappears basically into about 1% of global GDP on its own by 2050.

Now, tell me more about all the great trade deals, the proud future of independence and influence this tiny spec will have in the future in the world, let alone in Europe?  The EU will go along fine without the UK. Examine the size of the other economies. The UK will sink.

but we will be biggest in africa when we sign the mother of all trade deals,nontabury could end up being right

34 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Wake and and accept that the exit vote was not primarily about GDP. 

Just now, nauseus said:

Wake and and accept that the exit vote was not primarily about GDP. 

Yes, but the net effect will be a smaller, weaker, insignificant UK. I suppose that is what Brexiters want as long as it's independent.

Anyway, the options to try to remain are getting very slim to non-existent now anyway today after May survived the no confidence vote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46393399

9 hours ago, nauseus said:

5 years since that now, I think. Yes the baht has done well for 3 years or so but not so good for tourists, pensioners and now exports a bit. 

Good for the Thai Elite when they buy their expensive European cars or even live in Europe.

The only reason the Baht is high is because it's over inflated.

9 hours ago, tebee said:

But I don't think she can.

This disastrous deal is down simply to her own prejudices and arbrity red lines. 

She may try to blame parliament  for rejecting it, but I don't think history will blame them.

The only person that history will blame is Cameron for calling the referendum in the first place.

The day that the result was announced, Junkers wrote the "deal" down on the back of a cigarette packet and slipped it into Barnier's pocket. The deal was done that day. It mattered not one iota who the UK sent to negotiate, they would have all returned with the same deal. Junkers made it clear from day one that the UK would be punished and made an example of, no matter what cost to Europe, the cost to an individual member would always be much less than the cost to the UK.

There were no real negotiations, the EU held all the cards, the UK held none. Some very pretty diplomatic dancing was performed but the EU conceded nothing, the UK gained nothing. The deal was struck by team EU alone, the UK had no part in it.

Take yourself back to the leadership contest, when Cameron resigned, one very strange contest, all the big guns shot themselves and each other in the foot leaving May to emerge from the shadows and claim the premiership. It was always meant to be that way, the Conservative elite knew exactly how negotiations would go and needed a fall guy to carry the can for them. May was ideal.

The day we leave the EU, or not, whichever the case may be, May will resign ad return to her rightful place on the back benches. The Bullingdon Club will re-emerge to take their rightful place as leaders of the Tory party. Machiavelli would have been very impressed with the machinations of the Tory "dons" over the last 3 years.

Who will be PM? Take your pick, Johnson, Gove, Rees-Mogg? One thing is for certain, he will be an Old Etonian and Oxford grad. The ruling class.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Take yourself back to the leadership contest, when Cameron resigned, one very strange contest, all the big guns shot themselves and each other in the foot leaving May to emerge from the shadows and claim the premiership. It was always meant to be that way, the Conservative elite knew exactly how negotiations would go and needed a fall guy to carry the can for them. May was ideal.

Brexit was always a poison chalice, May was the only one stupid enough to drink from it thinking it would make her a hero

Pres. Emmanuel Macron's comments on Brexit crisis really are sans ambiguïté. "It’s a referendum that was manipulated" by "fake news", he says. The British people "were lied to" and "good luck to representatives of the country who want to implement something that doesn't exist."

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Brexit was always a poison chalice, May was the only one stupid enough to drink from it thinking it would make her a hero

May knew her fate. She took one for the team. Also, it was her only chance for her 15 minutes of fame.

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

Yes, but the net effect will be a smaller, weaker, insignificant UK. I suppose that is what Brexiters want as long as it's independent.

Anyway, the options to try to remain are getting very slim to non-existent now anyway today after May survived the no confidence vote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46393399

Corbyn never offered a pathway to remain. 

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

Pres. Emmanuel Macron's comments on Brexit crisis really are sans ambiguïté. "It’s a referendum that was manipulated" by "fake news", he says. The British people "were lied to" and "good luck to representatives of the country who want to implement something that doesn't exist."

Well maybe. And where was Corbyn putting the other side of the argument?

34 minutes ago, tebee said:

Not ambiguous - just full of doo.

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think that is pretty much what I said?

Edit - Which is why I pointed out that "Everything now dead in the water." - isn't necessarily true.  MPs are in between a rock and a hard place at the moment.  The vast majority have always wanted to remain - but how to do that without alienating even more of the electorate?

So why is that ? and why would they go against their constituents , many wanting Brexit and in the recent vote to accept TMs deal MPs went against their supporters . One example  of that ; a friend of mine was fuming a couple of days ago when his local MP for Boston & Skegness , Matt Warman , voted to accept TMs deal despite lobbying from his locals . The towns actual Brexit vote was a 75% to leave . So why did he go against his supporters ?

He will be hard pushed to retain his MP status in the next election .

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Everything now dead in the water."

Only if MPs think they can find a way to retain their seats/pretend they are respecting the democratic referendum result.  And they know that rescinding Article 50 is the worst case scenario for them when it comes to the aforementioned.

The next week or so is going to be very 'interesting' for the electorate, and very uncomfortable for MPs.

2 hours ago, superal said:

So why is that ? and why would they go against their constituents , many wanting Brexit and in the recent vote to accept TMs deal MPs went against their supporters . One example  of that ; a friend of mine was fuming a couple of days ago when his local MP for Boston & Skegness , Matt Warman , voted to accept TMs deal despite lobbying from his locals . The towns actual Brexit vote was a 75% to leave . So why did he go against his supporters ?

He will be hard pushed to retain his MP status in the next election .

I think that is the point I was making in my post above, but I probably worded it badly?

MPs know they are in between a rock and a hard place.  The vast majority support remain, but (particularly) those in leave constituencies know that they are likely to lose their seats if they obviously continue to support remain.  And they well know that May and the eu's deal was 'leave in name only'.  More importantly, they also realise that their constituents know this!

From what you've said, it sounds as if Matt Warman is determined to ignore his constituents and prepared to accept the consequences, i.e. losing his seat.

30 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Mine too. If they were fully accountable to the electorate & able to balance their books per annum we may never have wanted to leave.

But it's not only that - their salaries/expenses etc. should reflect those for their equivalent in each individual eu country IMO.  They and their civil servants are paid way too much.

And as for moving the whole bureaucratic process from one place to another every few months???

They clearly have no problem wasting taxpayer money - and no intention of changing their wasteful practices.....

I read that Corbyn rejects to participate in May's Plan-B talks

unless he is given a guarantee that no-deal Brexit will not happen.

Can understand that he is careful, think this is more than just silly tactics,

he probably wants to ensure not being held to ransom re whatever comes out of the talks.

But nobody is really in a position to give such guarantee at this stage,

as far as I understand it;

the only way to ensure that no-deal is not happening is to revoke A50 or

to go back and accept May's deal.

In either case Plan-B talks are of no use.

Archived