Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, rixalex said:


 

 


The harm is that from that point onward it will be known that referendum results need not be respected or enacted.

Whichever side loses this next referendum you speak of, why would they or should they accept it? History will show that they need not.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

 

I don't think so. I think it rather shows that referendum results which cannot reasonably be expected to be enacted within a reasonable period of time may be subject to revisiting. 

 

So, in future, let's intelligently find another way to effect massive changes that take many years, and fully expect that knowledge, attitudes and circumstances may change the perspective if referendum items are too long to implement.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What a ClusterF**k.

 

The UK is divided. Political parties are divided. The countries that make up the UK are divided. Parliament is divided. Business is divided. Civil Society is divided. Labour unions are divided. Academia is divided.

 

Yet, when the UK is divided in each and every sector, some say that that you MUST implement the most divisive public policy decision in 50+ years and/or go back and renegotiate with the EU. BTW, just why would the EU decide to re-negotiate? Why does anyone think the EU actually would give better terms? I wouldn't and can't think of any reason to think they would.

 

Never in my wildest thoughts could I have imagined a country would screw itself over so badly.

 

When a country is this divided, the only logical course of action is to keep the status quo and scrap the whole thing; perhaps, try again in 10 or 20 years. Sorry to the Brexit supporters, but your country is waaaaaay too divided to do this.

 

Have the courage to say that this can't be done now. Forcing an uncontrolled hard Brexit down the throats of an unwilling populace will only cause division and discord for generations.

 

 

Rubbish.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“The easiest deal in human history”.

 

Those future trade deals will be a cinch.

yes africa and venezuela will be waiting to take our money and goods,getting paid for them will be the difficult bit,my partners father went to the grave being owed a lot of money of zuma,and a local bizzness man in my area was stung for £20 million in venezuela, it was a cinch for them

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I don't think so. I think it rather shows that referendum results which cannot reasonably be expected to be enacted within a reasonable period of time may be subject to revisiting. 

 

So, in future, let's intelligently find another way to effect massive changes that take many years, and fully expect that knowledge, attitudes and circumstances may change the perspective if referendum items are too long to implement.

 

Ah yes the people are to stupid to be allowed a say in the future, so when the next version of TTIP come in making government monopolies on health care illegal we can wave bye bye to the NHS, doesn't matter people are to stupid for free health care our neoliberal overlords know best.

Edited by Chartist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bomber said:

yes africa and venezuela will be waiting to take our money and goods,getting paid for them will be the difficult bit,my partners father went to the grave being owed a lot of money of zuma,and a local bizzness man in my area was stung for £20 million in venezuela, it was a cinch for them

Yes let's trade with countries oceans away and scrap trade deals with 27 countries on our doorstep.

Jeez....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

We were successfully trading with the furthest members of the Commonwealth long before joining the EU.

Yes but 45,% of our exports go to the EU. It would be economic madness to damage that access.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

We were successfully trading with the furthest members of the Commonwealth long before joining the EU.

The world's changed a bit since then.

 

Empire2 is a non starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

The bookies are giving odds on a 2nd referendum.

I'm not suprised.

 

The best possible 'hope' for remain MPs (the vast majority) is to pretend that another referendum is necessary....

 

I doubt that they are brave/stupid enough to withdraw Article 50, so their only possible chance of remaining within the eu is to call for another referendum - in the hope that the result may be different this time.....

 

A bad choice, as they also know that it leaves democratic votes in shambles and is hardly going to stop the ill-will amongst leavers - who will (of course 😁) demand another referendum! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...