BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Because the UK imports far more from the EU than the EU does from the UK.

Why can the UK not import from countries not in the EU?

7 minutes ago, rixalex said:

OK. So who gets to decide when it's not all it's cracked to be? Who are we going to put in charge of deciding which decisions need be respected and which need not?

It's a fine and dandy argument all the while the decisions being overturned are the ones you don't agree with. What happens when the tables get turned?

I'll say this, if remainers do get the second referendum they crave, and they win, it's going to be great fun seeing them argue why the vote must be respected.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not so at all. Voters would understand what Bexit  really means, instead of all the false promises and confusion at the last referendum. 

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Or.

Your assertions on why individual MPs voted the way they did may be misinformed.

In which case, so is your conclusion.

But he could be right and you could be wrong.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Hard Brexit doesn't have the votes in Parliament.

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

It doesn't need any votes. It is the default outcome if nobody prevents it from happening.

No it isn't.

5 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Sometimes democracy is not all it's cracked up to be. Especially when the result is a crash and burn brexit that hobbles generations of Britons, and results in serious diminution of the country, its economy and status.

Even though I disagree with your assessment of the consequences of Brexit (I believe if managed correctly it could be hugely positive for the UK), I admire your honesty in admitting that you're not that bothered about Democracy.

It's much better than the Remainers who are trying to claim that ignoring the results of the Referendum is actually really democratic. All this "democracy is a moving process", "how can more votes be less democratic", "people's vote" nonsense really grates after a while.

Kudos for admitting you just want to Remain at all costs and since you lost the vote, to hell with Democracy.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“The easiest deal in human history”.

Those future trade deals will be a cinch.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

You have more catchphrases than Bruce Forsyth. 😄

You mean like "Brexit means Brexit" ?

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Whatever your personal views are on Brexit, can we not agree that by abandoning the democratic system to reward the team that had the biggest foot-stamping meltdown is not a good step? This is all way bigger than just Brexit, the future of democracy lies at stake here.

Democracy is the will of the majority and it appears that the majority of Brits now don't want to leave the EU because they better understand the full implications of leaving . 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We can find informed comment if we look for it.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Whatever your personal views are on Brexit, can we not agree that by abandoning the democratic system to reward the team that had the biggest foot-stamping meltdown is not a good step? This is all way bigger than just Brexit, the future of democracy lies at stake here.

We abandoned the democratic system when we had a referendum in 2016. British democracy demands that such a decision should be made by a vote in Parliament. Not a referendum which is basically turning democracy over to mob rule.

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

Democracy is the will of the majority ....... 

No it isn't. Why do so many on this forum have such a limited idea of what democracy is about?

59 minutes ago, Loiner said:

YES they certainly are. Much better than any of the current gang of fifth columnists in senior government and opposition.
I’ll vote for all of those.

The South Thanet strategy.

23 minutes ago, gamini said:

MPs are voting what their constituents want now, not what they wanted 2 years ago.

Opinion polls all indicate that the majority of people in the UK prefer not to leave the EU.

But of course Brexiteers only believe polls if they are in their favour.

Polls said Remain would win before the referendum in 2016, how did that work out for you?

The only "poll" that mattered was the one on 23rd June 2016. It was a really, really large sample size. The whole population of the UK in fact. A historical turnout. Leave won. 

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Mays my way or the Highway has come back to haunt her 

its been a complete Dogs breakfast from the start  2 years and we are no way forward

the last thing thing we need is Corbyn and Labour trying to get back in 

which wont happen ( I have been known to be wrong ) 

I think people here on Thai Visa will be more concerned about the pound

interesting times coming up  

Shackelton, Halifax, Bristol (Boy) what the Focke, Wulf?

3 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Rigid, static, dogmatic democracy not allowing change for changing circumstances while maintaining democratic institutions, is as unproductive as no democracy.

So which "no democracy" are you selling? Is it the Extreme Right version or the Extreme Left version?

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We abandoned the democratic system when we had a referendum in 2016. British democracy demands that such a decision should be made by a vote in Parliament. Not a referendum which is basically turning democracy over to mob rule.

Demands? The UK Constitution obviously allows referenda - otherwise the referendum Act would not have been possible. The ruling mob seem to be those mostly occupying Westminster (under false pretences).