BANGKOK
webfact

Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

or in another thread (there are way too many Brexit threads).

Yes, TV "world news" does look like Trump V Brexit for the most threads, a couple of days ago every thread on the front page was Brexit or Trump related,

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Who did not vote?

OK lets look at the math's

there are 650 and 202 + 432 = 634 so 16 MP's did not vote.

We know the speaker does not vote and 7 Sinn Fein MP's do not attend, so who were the other 8?

Have you factored in the sick and paired MPs?

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

That's roughly estimated. Brexit has greatly weakened the EU and Europe as a whole. The economic uncertainty has the UK + EU monetary currencies brought significant losses by international comparison. This is a thaiforum.

Just look at the currency development since june 2016 compared to thai baht. Hooray or what?

No hoorays but THB has strengthened as well (against most currencies). GBP down with anti Brexit sentiment. Up a bit today as the big banks probably see a better chance of Brexit being scuppered altogether. It's the way it goes. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Basil B said:

by the time we get to hold another referendum we will be out of of the EU by default in a totally disorderly Brexit,

That is not a binary yes/no, but rather estimation of risk of happening ie 60/40 or 50/50 etc.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The vote a few days ago which the government narrowly lost ahead of last night's vote. It was lost 303-296.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/08/theresa-may-suffers-commons-defeat-over-no-deal-brexit

There cannot be a no-deal Brexit without the authorisation of Parliament.

I see, remember now, the Cooper et al fix to Tax/Finance acts - I take it you refer to.

And this legal hack overrules the statute already in place for guiding the exit?

ta

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It was called "At the sign of the Swinging Cymbal" by Brass Incorporated.

I remember the music very well but not who played it.

It was the theme Music for Pick of the Pops.  My Sunday afternoon favourite and I used to steal my Mum's Dansette transistor radio and go to Poole Park to listen to it with my mates.

:offtopic: Totally.  :sorry: (not really)

Yes, good old "Fluff".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Have you factored in the sick and paired MPs?

probably the answer, but who would trust a Tory to pair with??? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No hoorays but THB has strengthened as well (against most currencies). GBP down with anti Brexit sentiment. Up a bit today as the big banks probably see a better chance of Brexit being scuppered altogether. It's the way it goes. 

never mind GBP,

baht has also improved against Norwegian oil dollars, not happy

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Who did not vote?

OK lets look at the math's

there are 650 and 202 + 432 = 634 so 16 MP's did not vote.

We know the speaker does not vote and 7 Sinn Fein MP's do not attend, so who were the other 8?

Dianne Abbott?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes, TV "world news" does look like Trump V Brexit for the most threads, a couple of days ago every thread on the front page was Brexit or Trump related,

It pretty much still is dominated by Trump/Brexit threads!

Understandable to a certain extent, but the number of 'new' Trump threads (which seem to produce far fewer responses 'cos there are so many about every single, tiny issue?) is a bit baffling.

To look on the bright side, the less interesting Trump/Brexit threads don't seem to last very long?

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I see, remember now, the Cooper et al fix to Tax/Finance acts - I take it you refer to.

And this legal hack overrules the statute already in place for guiding the exit?

ta

Agreed that amendment does not actually stop Brexit.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The vote a few days ago which the government narrowly lost ahead of last night's vote. It was lost 303-296.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/08/theresa-may-suffers-commons-defeat-over-no-deal-brexit

There cannot be a no-deal Brexit without the authorisation of Parliament.

And that's the worrying part - bearing in mind the majority of MPs support remaining within the eu.

Hence the ever continuing 'kicking the can down the road'.....

• Like 2