Army chief Gen Apirat to pro-election activists: Don’t cross the line

webfact

Army chief Gen Apirat to pro-election activists: Don’t cross the line

2405005.jpg

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Apirat Kongsompong today warned political activists campaigning against an election postponement “not to cross the line”.

He was responding to a threat by a group of activists to stage a major protest rally at the Democracy Moment this Saturday if the Election Commission cannot fix an election date by this Friday.  They are the same group of people who have been campaigning against the legitimacy of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Gen Apirat questioned the motive of these people and expressed concerns over the impact that such protest would have on tourists and business enterprises in the areas. “I have had experience in dealing political protests for years. These people are working in cahoots. I know what they are up to,” said Gen Apirat who also serves as secretary general of NCPO.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-chief-gen-apirat-to-pro-election-activists-dont-cross-the-line/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

to stage a major protest rally at the Democracy Moment this Saturday

Is that near the monument that bears a similar name?  This is a good move by Apirat - disperse the protesters all over the capital by giving them different and wrong venues.

It is he and his junta and its Leader who are constantly - on a minute-by-minute basis - crossing the line of legality.

How dare an illegal 'government' tell others what to do!

But: the Thais (en masse) don't really seem to mind or care - so why should I (but I do - as I remain a human being, with empathy for the under-trodden and abused) ...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Apirat Kongsompong today warned political activists campaigning against an election postponement “not to cross the line”.

anyone tired of having army chiefs telling us what to do ? essentially accusing us of being bad soldiers

2 hours ago, webfact said:

expressed concerns over the impact that such protest would have on tourists and business enterprises in the areas.

Then have an election or set a date to diffuse the situation.   Short term thinking hold long term desires hostage.  The general needs to choose his words far more carefully. 

37 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also letting people know he is lining himself up for his turn at the trough.

Yep..sounds about right. With Squealer Prawit always on the verge of “in-active-ization”…it appears the littler general may be sniffing up for the highly coveted job of Junta chief cook, bottle washer and knob polisher.

For a mere soldier, Apirat has got one hell of a big mouth. In what other civilised country would a soldier be allowed, let alone authorised, to issue threats and warnings to the people. Yes, of course; only in a nation whose 'leader' is patently incapable of putting three meaningful words together himself, unless in song or poem form, that is, or with children sat on his seat … and then he can really do the business.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

concerns over the impact that such protest would have on tourists and business enterprises in the areas.

The junta have pretty well knackered those key drivers for the past five years . . . so what's so special about an hour or two, spent be a few passionate Thais, asking why their government can't do the simplest AND FAIREST of things by stating a firm election date.

As for tourists, Thailand's place as a holiday destination has been on the slippery slope for over a year, now, and this monkey's performances will only accelerate that fall. Come on, Apirat … let that big mouth of yours put the final nail in Thailand's coffin.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

It is he and his junta and its Leader who are constantly - on a minute-by-minute basis - crossing the line of legality.

But: the Thais (en masse) don't really seem to mind or care - so why should I (but I do - as I remain a human being, with empathy for the under-trodden and abused) ...

The EU sees itself a "policeman" of human rights and usually has an eye on the junta shenanigans whether it be this sort of bully boy tactics straight out of the PM's handbook or slave labour, inhumane treatment of immigrants or over fishing. 

Thailand is very keen to get a free-trade deal with the EU but the performance last week with the Arab girl and now this idiot trying to trample over the rights of people it seems unlikely the EU will come to the Party. 

The performance of this military thug might just mean the of any EU/Thailand free-trade deal. I hope so; then they might get the message.

2 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

The EU sees itself a "policeman" of human rights and usually has an eye on the junta shenanigans whether it be this sort of bully boy tactics straight out of the PM's handbook or slave labour, inhumane treatment of immigrants or over fishing. 

Thailand is very keen to get a free-trade deal with the EU but the performance last week with the Arab girl and now this idiot trying to trample over the rights of people it seems unlikely the EU will come to the Party. 

This military thug might just be the final nail in the EU/Thailand free-trade deal. I hope so; then they might get the message.

I have come to believe that in the land of chronic warlordism and baronial thuggery they are simply incapable of "getting the message".

For instance-if your tourism goes down the gurgler-and it has-you just invent new figures for the credulous.-a locked in system very similar to it's neighbouring states..and getting closer every day.

Protests will have no bearing on tourism and export and the general population living normal. Now where is the line???? And if they cross that imaginary line, then when he crosses that line in retaliation, will that be the breaking point that will lose the junta election and start a mass repulsed revolt? I really think that he thinks they have crossed already and wished the time for open congregations due to the election had not been opened so he could teach them a lesson. 

As for the NCPO, Yuck! There is going to be trouble brewing for both sides. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

The general needs to choose his words far more carefully. 

Well, that's part of the problem isn't it?

Sovereign civilian oversight of the military could retire/fire him very quickly from the military.

But the reality is that he needn't be concerned about his words except from NCPO Junta Chief and General PM Prayut whose position with the military's anti-democratic pronouncements against the public is best known for his own condescending silence!

we can all see private investment is down the drain the last 6 monthd and its not just about worl economy blues. Everyone is starting to see this land in a clearer way with the junta and its gang members along with chinese big businesses backed by the chinese state. When you are making the country pay a hundred billion dollar annual budget, then reaping 8 bilion dollars in 4g contracts which has probably dissapeared into hundreds of pockets, you start to see a slide of an economy where very few trust to invest and just sit on the sidelines with their money.

That tide turned even before the world economy blues started to gain traction,and now in my guess throwing this land into a deep recession 

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Eligius - he has form. He has made a direct and very specific threat against any protest. We all (foreign and Thai) know what happened last time - he was part of it. He will have no compunction whatsoever in doing it again. That's why the Thais (en masse) don't really seem to mind or care - they care all right, they also know what will happen to them if they come out.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

The performance of this military thug might just mean the of any EU/Thailand free-trade deal. I hope so; then they might get the message.

But I thought that the EU had had the particular circumstances in Thailand explained, had seen the roadmap, and understood and indeed were impressed with what the government were doing. I'm sure someone in a "Blofeld suit" said something a few months ago...

The simple fact is Cadbury, these people neither understand nor care - for them it is sufficient that they retain control.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

The EU/USA only uses human rights in the similar way as it was in the colonial era
with 'civilizing savages' to make a better deals on such lame commandos.

Can help human rights a bit because it's expensive for commandos
but first of all it's about money.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a disgusting person this army boss is.

Threatening people just to please his boss, the man who stole his job by force.

Prayuth is not his boss. If anything, Apirat now is in a position with greater power/authority than Prayuth. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a disgusting person this army boss is.

Threatening people just to please his boss, the man who stole his job by force.

He was not appointed by the PM/Junta............................

Archived