Army chief Gen Apirat to pro-election activists: Don’t cross the line

webfact

10 minutes ago, chainarong said:

It never ceases to amaze,  army chief say's don't cross the line , where is the minister responsible , the army chief is apolitical , he shouldn't even be giving interviews, let alone issuing threats, oh sorry,  I forgot its Thailand.

Totally agree with you. He should S-T-F-U and be looking after military affairs. 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Eligius - he has form. He has made a direct and very specific threat against any protest. We all (foreign and Thai) know what happened last time - he was part of it. He will have no compunction whatsoever in doing it again. That's why the Thais (en masse) don't really seem to mind or care - they care all right, they also know what will happen to them if they come out.

No compunction? Alas, I fear he is positively salivating at the prospect of spilling blood.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Eligius - he has form. He has made a direct and very specific threat against any protest. We all (foreign and Thai) know what happened last time - he was part of it. He will have no compunction whatsoever in doing it again. That's why the Thais (en masse) don't really seem to mind or care - they care all right, they also know what will happen to them if they come out.

You are absolutely right, JAG, that this bunch will draw blood when push comes to shove. As you say, they have proven it.

BUT: the only way throughout history for a people to rid themselves of unjust oppression is to be immensely brave and stand up to those who are oppressing them. If they don't,  nothing will change. 

Freedom is not gifted to a people (and certainly not by this gang); it is fought for.

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

it is fought for. 

Hear - hear! I know you'll think I'm taking this lightly, Eligius, but the wife and I have been preparing for this for weeks, now, with a village production line . . . making catapults.

You're right, though. The only thing that's going to beat these animals is big numbers of people; numbers that, they'll realise (hopefully) shooting at just won't win the day.

42 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Hear - hear! I know you'll think I'm taking this lightly, Eligius, but the wife and I have been preparing for this for weeks, now, with a village production line . . . making catapults.

You're right, though. The only thing that's going to beat these animals is big numbers of people; numbers that, they'll realise (hopefully) shooting at just won't win the day.

Right, Ossy! As much as it is true to say that the military is willing to attack the Thai people (and have done so - dreadfully - in the past), that is no excuse for a WHOLE NATION OF 69 MILLION PEOPLE not to take decisive action. 

If people throughout history who were being oppressed and tyrannised over had simply sat back and said: 'Oh, we can't do anything - we might get killed by Napoleon's powerful troops', or 'Oh, we can't do anything -  we might get bombed by Hitler's highly developed weaponry - let's sit back and not dare to fight back', etc., etc. - then fascism and non-freedom would have won the day forever.

Many nations in their history have faced huge threats to their liberty. Some of those nations have been immensely brave and FOUGHT FOR THAT PRECIOUS LIBERTY.

Others have not - and will not.

No one says it is easy or safe.

But that is why the words 'bravery' and 'heroism' were invented (as opposites of 'cowardice'). 'Bavery' and 'heroism' indicate special and wonderful qualities in certain human beings.

I long (heart-achingly) to see those admirable qualities activated and manifested by masses of the Thai people.

Questioning the legitimacy of the NCPO is just, they are nothing but a bunch of criminals, robbing the country blind.

For the rest, crossing the line might be occupying airports or government House. Exercising their constitutional right to protest against a government that pushes back a promised election without a valid reason is not crossing the line. It is their legal right to protest.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

What is giving Apirat sleepless nights, though, is the age-old Thai dilemma of which should come first; quelling street unrest or staging the counter-coup? . . . mmm, a tricky one, that, for a relative newcomer to the game.

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

By the look of the 'fruit salad' this general fought at Arnhem as an elite member of the "Red Devils',won the military cross there, and is now 112 years old.

Pretty impressive...

Whereas in reality, he's got campaign ribbons for knowing where the coffee beans are kept, the BJ he gave his boss for the promotion to Major, and for knowing where the dunny is but failing on finding the water sprayer.

Lacks the cachet of your account, but has the added benefit of being close to the truth.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a disgusting person this army boss is.

Threatening people just to please his boss, the man who stole his job by force.

Also letting people know he is lining himself up for his turn at the trough.

They say in a war or revolution room service for generals is the first victim. I think in his case it will be a bloody mess.

14 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Then have an election or set a date to diffuse the situation.   Short term thinking hold long term desires hostage.  The general needs to choose his words far more carefully. 

100% right. But that is not what the junta would like thee people to be portrayed as. If he can make them look like radicals they can say that unrest has caused them to delay the election. "It's not our fault! It's these terrible rioters have forced us to do it." 

9 minutes ago, chama said:

100% right. But that is not what the junta would like thee people to be portrayed as. If he can make them look like radicals they can say that unrest has caused them to delay the election. "It's not our fault! It's these terrible rioters have forced us to do it." 

I don't think they can, anymore than they can pull the arms cache stunt again and have anyone actually believe them.

However making such claims in conjuction with a fresh wave of even harsher oppression is another matter. The harsher oppression being all they have left...

Archived