EU leaders express dismay after May's Brexit defeat

webfact

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

No, Nigel Farage didn't.

Farage is no employee, he is a MEP,

elected to represent selected parts of Homeland politics

still EU should pay, the benefit of having MEPs is way more the EU's than UK's.

The MEPs make it possible for EU leadership to point to the parliament and say;

see the EU is governed by a politically elected body governing all lawmaking etc etc

good for EU, a bit comme ci comme ca for UK

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Farage is no employee, he is a MEP,

elected to represent selected parts of Homeland politics

still EU should pay, the benefit of having MEPs is way more the EU's than UK's.

The MEPs make it possible for EU leadership to point to the parliament and say;

see the EU is governed by a politically elected body governing all lawmaking etc etc

good for EU, a bit comme ci comme ca for UK

I think your reasoning is a bit strange. The UK willingly joined the EU and is jointly responsible for all EU matters, also if it is a commitment for the future (like a pension).

Every country elects MEP's in their own country (the Finnish electorate does not vote for a Belgian MEP). So to me it would be logical if the UK is responsible for the pensions of their representatives.

If you go to a pub with a group of people and leave before the bill is presented, does that mean you do not need to pay your share?

On 1/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Basically, what you are saying is that any country that is, or becomes, a member of the EU is a prisoner in the organisation and that there is no realistic way out. 

A50 is your very realistic and simple way out. 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

When I join a club, I do so on the understanding that I can leave when I want to and I do not expect to have, for example, to pay for the future pensions of people who happened to be employed there when I was a member, whether or not I agreed directly or indirectly for their employment at the time.

How can you agree on something and then not expect to respect such agreement? But why don’t you go to Virgin Fitness and True tomorrow and sign up for a 12-months contract each, and then after 6 months you cancel and make a fuss about how anyone on earth would expect you to fulfill the financial obligations you agreed to. 

You guys really live in lala-land. 

55 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

I think your reasoning is a bit strange. The UK willingly joined the EU and is jointly responsible for all EU matters, also if it is a commitment for the future (like a pension).

Every country elects MEP's in their own country (the Finnish electorate does not vote for a Belgian MEP). So to me it would be logical if the UK is responsible for the pensions of their representatives.

If you go to a pub with a group of people and leave before the bill is presented, does that mean you do not need to pay your share?

well different people - different background - different views

I do not appreciate your example of a visit to the local,

membership of EU is not comparable to a pub crawl

I can see a bunch of good arguments for the UK paying her share of the budget they have agreed to

UK paying for future pensions of Brits working for CEC I just find weird, indeed

Note CEC has since long started to look into ways of keeping them, 'cause some of them are bloody good

As for MEPs, very very doubtful, the UK MEPs have been there for the benefit of EU as a whole

not for the benefit of UK.

Should it end up UK paying it should at least be in line with UK's part of the budget total.

And,

should EU expand with new members they should also pay part for the UK MEP's pensions,

'cause UK MEPs have been part of building the EU new members are buying into.

11 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I can see a bunch of good arguments for the UK paying her share of the budget they have agreed to

UK paying for future pensions of Brits working for CEC I just find weird, indeed

Note CEC has since long started to look into ways of keeping them, 'cause some of them are bloody good

As for MEPs, very very doubtful, the UK MEPs have been there for the benefit of EU as a whole

Should it end up UK paying it should at least be in line with UK's part of the budget total.

And,

should EU expand with new members they should also pay part for the UK MEP's pensions,

Actually, I think we largely agree. But my initial comment was in response to a poster who indicated that the UK has no liability at all to pay for pensions and that I disagree with.

Interesting that you mention that some Brits might continue working for the EU, I always assumed that would not be the case. As such their pension liabilities would obviously lie with the EU.

And I have no doubt that they are good; as far as I know the selection criteria for a job at the EU are very high (and with the corresponding salaries they should be).

50 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

A50 is your very realistic and simple way out. 

How can you agree on something and then not expect to respect such agreement? But why don’t you go to Virgin Fitness and True tomorrow and sign up for a 12-months contract each, and then after 6 months you cancel and make a fuss about how anyone on earth would expect you to fulfill the financial obligations you agreed to. 

You guys really live in lala-land. 

lala land is OK

I enjoy my time in Thailaland

5 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Actually, I think we largely agree. But my initial comment was in response to a poster who indicated that the UK has no liability at all to pay for pensions and that I disagree with.

Interesting that you mention that some Brits might continue working for the EU, I always assumed that would not be the case. As such their pension liabilities would obviously lie with the EU.

And I have no doubt that they are good; as far as I know the selection criteria for a job at the EU are very high (and with the corresponding salaries they should be).

right,

it is quite a while ago that I read a snippet from the CEC in which they were very very clear on looking

into ways and means in order to keep the Brits employed by CEC

can see two reasons for this;

a) the CEC really needs them, CEC has some very very good trade negotiators that are British

b) public relations; do that and CEC/EU can boast, see how good hearted we are, we keep the Brits

UK is the culprit - EU takes care - this is worth quite a bit on the boast/brag platform

One will have to see how it ends up.

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

The UK willingly joined the EU?? Wrong adjective. 

The UK was taken into the EEC in 1973 without a referendum but with the deception of Edward Heath and with a tiny Parliamentary majority after the third reading of the ECA (1972).

The UK 1975 referendum campaign saw the continuation of deceit by government and we foolishly stayed in the EEC then.

The EU was effectively born from the Maastrict Treaty - no UK referendum.

The EU constitution was effectively reworded as the Lisbon Treaty - no UK referendum on that either.

There was never a people's say on the EU as such, until 2016, when the EU was rejected.

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes,

the collective EU should pay the pensions,

there is no meaning in the UK paying those, the Brits working in EU work

for the benefit of EU, not for the UK

Exactly.

As happens in any organisation/company that provides a 'company pension' - the employee and employer pays toward contributions until the employee (or in this case, country) leaves.

They then stop paying contributions, but invest the previously paid pension money towards the future pension payable.

Like you, I find it hard to understand why a few are unable to comprehend this?

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

Selection criteria very high? Like Juncker? Pull the other one. ????

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

And,

Juncker likes a pub crawl.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Selection criteria very high? Like Juncker? Pull the other one. ????

I was talking about the regular jobs (civil servants if you like). 

But of course, Juncker was only PM and Minister of Finances before he got his present job.

Why didn't they consider you for the position?

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The UK willingly joined the EU?? Wrong adjective. 

The UK was taken into the EEC in 1973 without a referendum but with the deception of Edward Heath and with a tiny Parliamentary majority after the third reading of the ECA (1972).

The UK 1975 referendum campaign saw the continuation of deceit by government and we foolishly stayed in the EEC then.

The EU was effectively born from the Maastrict Treaty - no UK referendum.

The EU constitution was effectively reworded as the Lisbon Treaty - no UK referendum on that either.

There was never a people's say on the EU as such, until 2016, when the EU was rejected.

I've said this before a few times, but even at the age of 15 (and not at all interested in politics), I could see that CAP was only going to result in higher prices - so I have little sympathy for those that voted to remain a member of the eec at the time.  But, I was only 15 and not interested in the surrounding politics.

The continuing extensions to the CAP policy meant that it turned out even worse than I originally thought!

Just now, whatsupdoc said:

I was talking about the regular jobs (civil servants if you like). 

But of course, Juncker was only PM and Minister of Finances before he got his present job.

Why didn't they consider you for the position?

Minister of Luxembourgian tax scams more like.

And I would never apply to such a devious outfit.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Juncker likes a pub crawl.

yes, I know that, I have met him

all you Brits have great fun of calling him a piss artist,

linking videos here and there

last year or the year before CEC issued a press release stating that JC

is not pissed, he is suffering from .......

I am suffering from the same, on bad days I walk like I am totally pissed

stairs are a great pain to negotiate - need help

now, I have just had 2 very bad days, its bloody awful,

need help to piss, don't dare to eat 'cause don't manage to go to toilet to shit

shower is out of the question

my advice,

calm down a bit on the piss artist bit . you don't know what you talk about

'

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

need help to piss, don't dare to eat 'cause don't manage to go to toilet to shit

my advice,

'

With all due respect melvin, it was reported he had sciatica, I have had sciatica and I didn't suffer the same syptoms as JCJ. But it isn't just his alcohol problems its the way he disrespects women. Maybe on the Continent it's ok to touch and flick ladies hair, but in the UK it would not be tolerated and he would have lost his job a long time ago, the man is a fool.

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

my advice,

'

Well, Melvin, if you are truly suffering then you have my sympathies. 

But as for your advice, there are too many examples of Juncker's buffoonery on record, especially after "functions". Not just walking with difficulty but soft-slapping faces, ruffling hair and passing comments about European leaders that are meant to be heard as jokes but could be taken more seriously. I know a few people who have had bad sciatica for decades and they would not be able to put on that silly grin if in pain, even if they tried.

46 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well, Melvin, if you are truly suffering then you have my sympathies. 

But as for your advice, there are too many examples of Juncker's buffoonery on record, especially after "functions". Not just walking with difficulty but soft-slapping faces, ruffling hair and passing comments about European leaders that are meant to be heard as jokes but could be taken more seriously. I know a few people who have had bad sciatica for decades and they would not be able to put on that silly grin if in pain, even if they tried.

mai pen rai

have never been in the habit of ruffling hair

Archived