BANGKOK 22 February 2019 08:04
webfact

Pollution crisis: Bangkok police set up emissions roadblocks

Is it me and my sceptisism, another one day wonder like plastics and foam  complete with photo opp..Checking some vehicles on a few designated streets will solve absolutely nothing ,either get serious and professional about this crisis or ''stand down officers''..emissions control is for everyone with cars trucks buses boats and scooters older than 3 yrs...period

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Now that's what I like to see. Action not just words!

I do hope you are right moonlover .

• Like 1

Not to mention all roadside barbecuing. A huge contribute to the pollution if you ask me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So they know what times to avoid the roadblock now.

I assume the police will be doing the usual crackdown for, say, one week, two weeks? Then it's all back to normal again.

That is the problem with policing here.. just one or two weeks and then back to normal. Regular enforcement does not happen a lot. I wonder is it a man power thing or just lazyness. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is the problem with policing here.. just one or two weeks and then back to normal. Regular enforcement does not happen a lot. I wonder is it a man power thing or just lazyness. 

Ha, you're spot on there. It is a 'man power' thing, as opposed to manpower.

Are Thailand, reap what you sow, you allowed those older vehicles into the country years ago when Western countries were banning them, cause they didn't meet emission tests, servicing the trucks aren't going to help much unless the air filters are blocked, or the injection pumps have been opened up or injectors are kaput, on a positive note here in Thailand a lot of the heavy trucks have gas conversions which is a huge advantage with very low emissions. 

What is the follow up procedure? I can't see many cops bothering to check later if they have already had their 1000 baht sweetener without any effort at the beginning, even if the 5000 baht carrot is being dangled.

In the UK they have a Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme where you have to get your car repaired and tested at an MOT garage as an alternative to prosecution, and provide the evidence to the police within a few days, or to court you go.