Chinese tourist hit by tour bus and killed while crossing the road in Jomtien

webfact

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Agree and have had several near misses with these plonkers............I don't get it either, other than to think that they are plain stupid, and you can't fix that!

they can't see because they are looking always on their phone, taking pictures and looking for the next place to go to. I live in Chiang Mai and at the moment the streets are full of .. chinese tourists alone or in groups walking on the streets instead of the pavement. Now I have installed a big horn on my car, that helps a lot. But still they just cross the streets without waiting for the pedestrian light to go green, or walk across in unclear and dangerous situations. On the 3 ringroads around the chinese tourists drive rented motorbikes with speeds around 20 km/h, and reading their smartphone at the same time. Or even using those orange bicycles on the same roads, even more dangerous. In the one-way street where my wife has a shop, they drive against the traffic, unaware of any danger. 

When I was in Paris I told my kids too many cars can't cross the street so we visit the other side the next time we come to Paris.

I will have to do the same in Thailand. Or go out in the early morning when the traffic is quiet and not too busy.

Yes, I must agree Chinese do behave differently. They don't seem to sense danger at all that explains why they did what they did, e.g. talking on the phone while crossing a fasting moving traffic on the street not even looking and concentrate on talking on the phone, amazing.

Thai government should print leaflet and give them out to Chinese Tourists after they stamp their passport. Leaflet says "Please stay Alive while in Thailand" and clear pictures show accidents on the road pedestrains run over by cars and buses.

I learned to look both ways 3 weeks after I arrived Thailand after I almost was hit by a car.

Now it's left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right every time I try to cross the roads. 

18 hours ago, vogie said:

One of the biggest problems is that when you come from a country that drives on the right and you come to Thailand that drives on the left your tendacy is to look the wrong way before crossing.

How come? You shall always look left "and" right preferably a few times prior to cross any street despite right or left driving....

8 hours ago, madusa said:

When I was in Paris I told my kids too many cars can't cross the street so we visit the other side the next time we come to Paris.

I will have to do the same in Thailand. Or go out in the early morning when the traffic is quiet and not too busy.

Yes, I must agree Chinese do behave differently. They don't seem to sense danger at all that explains why they did what they did, e.g. talking on the phone while crossing a fasting moving traffic on the street not even looking and concentrate on talking on the phone, amazing.

Thai government should print leaflet and give them out to Chinese Tourists after they stamp their passport. Leaflet says "Please stay Alive while in Thailand" and clear pictures show accidents on the road pedestrains run over by cars and buses.

That is quite a lesson to teach kids about avoiding easily solvable obstacles - they will make great millennials.

23 hours ago, vogie said:

One of the biggest problems is that when you come from a country that drives on the right and you come to Thailand that drives on the left your tendacy is to look the wrong way before crossing.

In Thailand you should look both ways, always.

Yes, all of the blame is placed on the pedestrian, but I will bet a great deal that the lunatic driving the coach was also at fault.  The coaches and their idiot drivers are a total menice. To be honest, a lot of what keeps me well away from Pattaya are the coaches.  I've given up trying to negotiate their lunacy every time I go  to the City.  I go to Rayong most of the time now and my blood pressure is much lower. 

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

In Thailand you should look both ways, always.

I'm a bit like Balo in that respect, look left and right a number of times before attempting to cross.........too many speeding idiots that can appear out of nowhere if one hasn't surveyed the traffic on the road thoroughly. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, VocalNeal said:

Knowledge is knowing the street is one way.

Wisdom is looking both ways anyway.

I once read that "Wisdom is the integration of knowledge and experience."

In this instance, the experience was overwhelming...

So why the difference in death wish, for the thais, it has to be on wheels, for the chinese, it is more often on foot..

On 1/16/2019 at 2:52 AM, vogie said:

One of the biggest problems is that when you come from a country that drives on the right wrong side and you come to Thailand...

On 1/16/2019 at 5:01 PM, CeeGee said:

Something missing here "Police found the windshield smashed on the front driver's side." firstly on these tour buses windows are fairly high off the ground and secondly you have to hit a windshield pretty hard to smash it.Either the bus driver was speeding or the chinese man flung himself upward and toward the windshield at high speed copying a kung <deleted> movie.

I noticed on Beach Rd the other day, most vehicles were tootling along slowly, except a large coach full of tourists that was driving fast on the right and went through some red pedestrian lights. These guys are always in a hurry.

13 hours ago, Basil B said:

One of the biggest problems is that when you come from a country that drives on the right wrong side and you come to Thailand...

As kids we were told Look right, look left and then look right again. Or was it?

But even if you reverse the traffic direction one still has to look more than once. 

Look all around for traffic and listen. Traffic could come from any direction. Listen as well, because you can sometimes hear traffic before you see it.

Etc..

Archived