Turning tourist Visa to non Immigrant family visa

My son is here on a tourist Visa. He has a Thai daughter. The birth certificate has just been made available showing him as father. He doesn't want to marry the mother, but wishes to be the main carer for the baby.

What's his best course of action (without going to an agent) and what financial guarantees must he prove?

Thanks...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He will first have to legitimize his parenthood to apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) entry or a one year extension at immigration. His name on the birth certificate is not enough.

See this topic: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

The financial proof needed for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of Thai is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof 40k baht income. The visa application at immigration has the same financial requirements.

He could apply for single entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate and then a 60 day extension to visit his child until the legitimization is done. Or a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

Ubonjoe,
Browsing the post about legitimizing the parent hood, option 3 (The father petitions the court to become the legal father of the child. This is the only option that can be used when the child is too young or the mother or child don't consent to the legitimization. If the mother does consent, it is a relatively simply process, a longer one if the mother doesn't agree.) would be applicable in his case. Would 'petitioning the court' be something you can do by yourself, or would one need a solicitor to act for you. Also, any idea of the cost (the mother will concent)?
Thanks

4 minutes ago, meuok said:

Ubonjoe,
Browsing the post about legitimizing the parent hood, option 3 (The father petitions the court to become the legal father of the child. This is the only option that can be used when the child is too young or the mother or child don't consent to the legitimization. If the mother does consent, it is a relatively simply process, a longer one if the mother doesn't agree.) would be applicable in his case. Would 'petitioning the court' be something you can do by yourself, or would one need a solicitor to act for you. Also, any idea of the cost (the mother will concent)?
Thanks

It makes it much easier and quicker if the mother gives consent and is involved in the request for it. They could do it themselves at the provincial family court. Most people use a lawyer to make it easier and faster. I seen report of it only costing 10k baht for a lawyer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1