‘Haute Cuisine:’ Weed Tom Yum Lands Briton In Hot Water

webfact

‘Haute Cuisine:’ Weed Tom Yum Lands Briton In Hot Water

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

a3-696x480.jpg

Gary Coughlan, center, stands between two police officers Wednesday on Koh Samui.

KOH SAMUI — A British businessman on Koh Samui ran foul of the law Wednesday for innovating in the kitchen by adding cannabis to his tom yum goong.

Gary Coughlan, 58, was arrested and charged with drug offenses this morning after policemen noticed he was acting erratically, police told reporters. They said he tested positive for drug use.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2019/01/16/haute-cuisine-weed-tom-yum-lands-briton-in-hot-water/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-16

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's certainly made him a happy camper! He can't stop smiling.

"Gary Coughlan, 58, was arrested and charged with drug offenses this morning after policemen noticed he was acting erratically, police told reporters."

Yet twenty years ago in Pattaya, some of the bars added dope to their two gallons of Tom Yam when they held a party.

Wasn't a problem as long as it was the locals who did it, although absolutely everyone acted erratically afterwards.

Or perhaps it was because the dope was always bought from an ex-policeman.

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

A British businessman on Koh Samui ran foul of the law Wednesday for innovating in the kitchen by adding cannabis to his tom yum goong.

Did the same many years ago in the UK, when I added weed to the chilli con carne I was cooking, then invited friends round for an after-pub lunch...........as I recall it was a great afternoon, the sun was shining, a friend was playing his guitar and a couple were "at it" on the lawn.

Well that's as my memory recalls it!!

That picture is class!  I can imagine that the officials were almost wondering why they were exercising the law in this particular instance, and trying to keep a straight face.

I'm guessing a 1000 baht fine and free Tom Yum for the 'occifers' for 3 months, and no hail Mary's.

15 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Look like he is fixed himself with Ganja Tom-Yam.

Wondering how it tastes, i am sure Thai's will claim copy right for this soon.

Always an additive in my village, for many years the copy right is Thai!

Samui police find Briton a little too relaxed

By The Nation

A British businessman’s bedtime snack of marijuana-laced tom yam kung landed him in police custody on Koh Samui on Wednesday morning.

Gary Coughlan, 58, who’s involved in property development, was apprehended at a police checkpoint in Tambon Na Muang when he appeared to be under the influence of a narcotic. 

Officers began searching his car for drugs, only to be allegedly told he’d sprinkled ganja obtained from a Thai friend into a batch of spicy soup he’d prepared days earlier as a sleep aid.

Coughlan was given a urine test, which allegedly indicated 50 nanograms of marijuana per millilitres.

He was charged with using an illegal substance.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362359

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-16

1 hour ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Look like he is fixed himself with Ganja Tom-Yam.

Wondering how it tastes, i am sure Thai's will claim copy right for this soon.

Dried ganga tastes a bit like oregano.  Used to love the happy pizza at Happy Herbs in Phnom Penh.

Just now, HarrySeaman said:

Dried ganga tastes a bit like oregano.  Used to love the happy pizza at Happy Herbs in Phnom Penh.

I remember that place. You could order pizza 'normal', 'happy', or 'extra happy'. Sharing an extra happy pizza with a friend was excellent.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Did the same many years ago in the UK, when I added weed to the chilli con carne I was cooking, then invited friends round for an after-pub lunch...........as I recall it was a great afternoon, the sun was shining, a friend was playing his guitar and a couple were "at it" on the lawn.

Well that's as my memory recalls it!!

must have been a different kind of weed,
nothing  erratic in your behavior.

Sounds like a great afternoon ????

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I remember that place. You could order pizza 'normal', 'happy', or 'extra happy'. Sharing an extra happy pizza with a friend was excellent.

You beat me to it - I too remember Happy Pizzas in PP and other parts of Cambodia. Shared one once with my ex TGF in Sihanoukville - when I ordered it, the vendor asked me "how happy" I wanted it - I replied "ecstatic please"

About 2 hours later, sitting on the beach, GF declared that "She was awake, but her eyes were asleep" :cheesy:

Happy days.......or is that Happy daze?

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Dont know if helping with sleep is a medical use , maybe for insomniacs like myself if so i could use the help .

I suffered for months until i worked out exactly what was causing the sleepless nights.

Avoid eating food with MSG (nearly everything in Thailand). Request no MSG to be used. Obviously this doesn't apply to street vendors as their soups are already mixed with this insomniac drug.

Happy kipping!

1 hour ago, KKr said:

must have been a different kind of weed,
nothing  erratic in your behavior.

Sounds like a great afternoon ????

Good stuff I can tell you................the silly, happy smiles and giggles told me it was working!!

Also on a rig in Nigeria a friend and I were doing some illegal beer brewing in our wardrobe of all places, and I plonked a big handful of the local grown stuff in the brew...............a Scots friend George, who had the nod about the beer, came visiting and we gave him a few glasses, which was a mistake as we were then regaled with endless verses of Robbie Burns poems and couldn't get rid of him!! 

Archived