visa exempt

1) Is it usual that one is being asked for a flight out of Thailand when applying for visa exempt? I think I have to go through immigration in Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok, maybe that makes a difference? I'll take cash (10.000 or 20.000 Baht?) with me in US $, just to be safe. By the way, I don't visit Thailan that often, so maybe that also makes a difference regarding being asked for a ticket out of Thailand?

2) If I remember correctly at the end of last year tourist visa regulations were being made easier temporarily? But I guess there's no benefit for me when entering on a visa exempt?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

The advantage to the Chiang Mai airport immigration-checkpoint, is they seem (based on reports to-date) to follow the written rules - as contrasted to some other airport-checkpoints (and the Poipet/Aranya land-border entry-point).  At the bad entry points, you may be denied-entry even if you followed the rules to the letter.

But, Visa Exempt entries are more restrictive than Tourist Visa entries - per the published rules.  Visa Exempt entries require an onward ticket within 30-days and 10K Baht in Cash or travelers-checks on your person (not plastic).  Chiang Mai would be completely within the rules to deny your entry on Visa Exempt for not having either of those met - OR - if you had done a quick "out/in" run.  Some restrictions/guidelines for the issuance of Visa Exempts were published here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=435513

26 minutes ago, agg211 said:

By the way, I don't visit Thailan that often, so maybe that also makes a difference regarding being asked for a ticket out of Thailand?

That makes a BIG difference.  It is much less likely that you will be asked to show the outgoing-ticket and/or show the cash, if you only visit Thailand rarely and/or only stay for short periods of time.  That said, immigration are 100% within the published rules to ask you to show both.

26 minutes ago, agg211 said:

If I remember correctly at the end of last year tourist visa regulations were being made easier temporarily? But I guess there's no benefit for me when entering on a visa exempt?

They talked about it, then decided to just reduce/waive VOA fees (not the same as Visa-Exempt), to facilitate more "package-tour" visitors who, without the tiny cost-savings, might otherwise not be able to afford to visit at all.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

The advantage to the Chiang Mai airport immigration-checkpoint, is they seem (based on reports to-date) to follow the written rules - as contrasted to some other airport-checkpoints (and the Poipet/Aranya land-border entry-point).  At the bad entry points, you may be denied-entry even if you followed the rules to the letter.

But, Visa Exempt entries are more restrictive than Tourist Visa entries - per the published rules.  Visa Exempt entries require an onward ticket within 30-days and 10K Baht in Cash or travelers-checks on your person (not plastic).  Chiang Mai would be completely within the rules to deny your entry on Visa Exempt for not having either of those met - OR - if you had done a quick "out/in" run.  Some restrictions/guidelines for the issuance of Visa Exempts were published here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=435513

They talked about it, then decided to just reduce/waive VOA fees (not the same as Visa-Exempt), to facilitate more "package-tour" visitors who, without the tiny cost-savings, might otherwise not be able to afford to visit at all.
I got the cash with me so that'll be no problem. Am I allowed to do a quick booking out of the country in case they ask for one?

2 minutes ago, agg211 said:

I got the cash with me so that'll be no problem. Am I allowed to do a quick booking out of the country in case they ask for one?

Again highly unlikely passport control will ask you for onward flight. The issue might occur when your boarding your inbound flight. If they request onward flight from Los, just step to side and book one on your cell. They will accept screen shot with word "confirmation". 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, agg211 said:

As the other poster noted - boarding your flight may be the first instance of a problem of not having an flight out of Thailand within 30-days.  Arrive at the airport early, so if an issue with this on check-in, you can book a flight at that time. 

Assuming you get through the flight w/o an outgoing ticket, a friendly IO will let you book a flight on-the-spot.  But, they don't have to, and when they ask for this, they are usually looking for a reason to deny-entry - and you would have just handed it to them on a silver-platter. 

At Chiang Mai airport, you are more likely to deal with a friendly IO than at a Bangkok airport.

4 minutes ago, agg211 said:

I don't know how many in total but last year I had inly one and I stayed for 2 weeks.

That is good - much less likely (no guarantee) they will ask for anything at any airport entry-point, unless you had some longer-stays in years past.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Just for info. My route in to Thailand is Singapore to Chiang Mai. In just over 3 years I have 6 SETVs, all issued from London and the same number of visa exempt entries as I often visit somewhere else for a few days.

Last flew in last December having only been out of Thailand for a month.

Had cash, hotel reservation and flight out just in case. Was asked for nothing. Smile and 60 day stamp.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, agg211 said:
1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Tot them up.

Sorry?

The (slight) concern is that if there have been six visa exempt entries since around the middle of 2015, the immigration official receives a notification that you should be scrutinised more closely as a genuine tourist.

It is extremely unlikely you will have a problem at immigration. As explained by others, your airline at check in may demand to see a flight reservation out of Thailand within 30 days. Often, when this is demanded, you can talk the airline supervisor into waiving the requirement. Sometimes, they may ask you to sign an indemnity form to protect the airline against financial damage should you be denied entry. As long as you allow plenty of time, the final fallback is to buy a cheap flight online out of Thailand while at the airport. I suggest you research which one you would buy the day before.

• Like 2

Just for info. My route in to Thailand is Singapore to Chiang Mai. In just over 3 years I have 6 SETVs, all issued from London and the same number of visa exempt entries as I often visit somewhere else for a few days.
Last flew in last December having only been out of Thailand for a month.
Had cash, hotel reservation and flight out just in case. Was asked for nothing. Smile and 60 day stamp.
You got the 60 days for a visa I guess?