Transfers show as domestic

I will be doing international money transfers to do the monthly deposit into a Thai bank for monthly income 12 month 12 deposit for imagration exstension based on marriage. 

Last week I transferred 41,000 baht from Bank of America acount to my Kbank here in Thailand. My US acount shows international transfer sent. But my Kbank shows domestic transfer recieved.  

I went to Kbank and asked why it shows domestic and why my US acount shows international. After the blank look she called help center and they said it is transferred to a middle bank then to my account. 

Is this right? How can I show international transfers to please imagration? 

I use Bangkok Bank as a receiving bank, and all my transfers from the US are listed as International.

Once received here in Thailand, I transfer the funds to SCB where I do my day to day banking.

This process also makes it very easy to verify 12 months of international deposits.

Perhaps you need to change banks

Is there a form at Thai banks that you can ask to show   the money transfer came from international transfer.  You need this form if you want to buy condominium here.  Maybe they can do it for smaller amount?

This could be a big problem for all of us not with Bangkok Bank. I'm with SCB and mine is indicated as domestic transfer too. Even if I change to Bangkok Bank, I won't be able to do the 12 transfers necessary to use the income method before my visa extension is due in October, unless they allow averaging out. Luckily, even though I really don't want to, I can deposit the 800,000 before the seasoning is due in June. A lot of people aren't as fortunate. I'm waiting for the first non-Bangkok Bank client to report his attempt to obtain a visa extension using the income method and if it can be averaged out for the first extension after the police amendment came into effect.

I have an  account with Kasikorn and my belgian pension is transferred straight to my Kasikorn account. And its marked INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FACTORING CENTRE. My branche C.W. Pak Kret has an  INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FACTORING department. And they guaranteed that they will make an transcript of the latest 12 international transfers to my account. Fee is 200 Baht.

I see a lot of concern about showing 12 months of transfers.
I seem to recall that for the first go around you only need to show from November of 2018.
Anybody else see that? I think it was in the initial post about the "final answer".
This would be a good business, I think, a la the visa touts, helping people properly set up their deposit routine to keep immigration happy.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

This could be a big problem for all of us not with Bangkok Bank. I'm with SCB and mine is indicated as domestic transfer too. Even if I change to Bangkok Bank, I won't be able to do the 12 transfers necessary to use the income method before my visa extension is due in October, unless they allow averaging out. Luckily, even though I really don't want to, I can deposit the 800,000 before the seasoning is due in June. A lot of people aren't as fortunate. I'm waiting for the first non-Bangkok Bank client to report his attempt to obtain a visa extension using the income method and if it can be averaged out for the first extension after the police amendment came into effect.

Same situation here.

This is what my plan is. To continue transferring to SCB after receiving direct deposits. Dont want to give up my SCB services, debit card, prompt pay, etc. Just have to see what they will do without 12 months indicating foreign transfer. Hoping they will accept ifbyou cash show you transfered money every month by any means this changeover year.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

The OP didn't say how he did the transfer, but if you use Transferwise it will indeed shows as a domestic transfer

He said from this US bank, which is named Bank of America...one of the largest banks in the US.

Last week I transferred 41,000 baht from Bank of America acount to my Kbank here in Thailand.

Maybe there will be a silver lining to these various transfers to certain Thai banks that don't end up getting coded/described as international transfers  and that silver lining is Thai immigration will "not" look for/require international coding/description but only a transfer of the required amount "along with" some kind of Sending bank doc (like a transaction receipt/monthly statement) showing you sent the transfer.   Basically you can show/match up what you sent with what the Thai bank posted minus any fees along the way.

But until that "maybe silver lining pans out or not" if at all possible I would use a transfer method and/or Thai bank that did provide the international coding/description or go to your Thai bank and get a printout showing full info on a transfer....this will show who it came from...hopefully all the way back to the Sending bank. 

Some other posts in related threads have talked about getting a Credit Advice doc from the Thai bank that can show the full trail of the transfer.  And definitely do a printout from your Sending bank showing you sent it the money...it may not be an impressive printout but it would be better than nothing and hopefully accepted.

More precisely it will show as a domestic transfer if your bank is not the bank which initially received the transfer. TW uses 3 different banks in Thailand but seems to use Bangkok Bank most frequently. If the bank used is not the recipient's bank then a second domestic transfer will be done. In that case your bank has no record of the funds having originated from abriad, only that it came from another bank in Thailand.

You can get statements from TW but it is unknown if Imm will accept these.

You could also go to tbe bank which initially received the transfer from TW (the bank that made the domestic transfer to your bank) and ask for a copy of the "credit advice" and/or a letter stating they recived this money in your name from abroad and transferred it onward to yoyr account at Bank X. That would be ideal as it then links the international transfer to the domestic transfer into your account but it remains to be seen if receiving banks will be willing to provide this.

This has been discussed at length in several other threads. Aside from TW it seems some people have govt pensions that are deposited first in the Bank of Thailand then transferred to their account, likewise showing as a domestic transfer.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I use Bangkok Bank as a receiving bank, and all my transfers from the US are listed as International.

Once received here in Thailand, I transfer the funds to SCB where I do my day to day banking.

This process also makes it very easy to verify 12 months of international deposits.

Perhaps you need to change banks

I just went to Bangkok bank at Changwatana and they said they needed a embassy letter explaining my funds from overseas because I don't have a work permit because I don't work. 

I am a contract consultant to a Malaysian company but the owner lives in Thailand. He transfers my earnings which vary month to month, from his personal Bangkok Bank account. Therefore, they are, of course, domestic transfers.

If I provide invoices for my earnings made out to his Malaysian company will that be accepted?

just get an account at Bangkok Bank. Every expat in Thailand should have one standard savings or fixed account at BB. This will eliminate many of these problems IDing international transfers. 

use that account for transfers only then move the money to whatever bank in Thailand you want.  

You will still run into occasions where a TW deposit shows as domestic because TW does not use BB exclusively, though they do seem to use it most often.

And it is not possible to choose which bank they'll use, I asked them already.

But majority of the time it will show as FTT.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Are yoy doing extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai or based on retirement?

If based on marriage the funds do not have to come from abroad.

I'm exstension based on marriage and want to do the monthly deposit of 40,000 from the new police report for monthly income without a embassy letter you can show a bank letter of 12 deposits each month for 12 months that shows money from abroad. That's how it is explained. 

"If based on marriage the funds do not have to come from abroad." I didn't read or heard of this unless you have a work permit and working in Thailand. If no work permit then I believe it has to show from abroad. 

It's not mentioned for retirement because you can't work or have a work permit if retired. 

I could be wrong but that's how I read it to replace the embassy letter method showing monthly benifits from abroad from US embassy.

5 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

My UK Pensions are sent direct to SCB.  I have not requested a statement at the bank yet, but my Online statements show the Internation Transfer code (X1) AND Text "BNT State Pension" and "COPIA Pension"

X1 means “Transfer deposit no book”,  FRC is the code for foreign remittances.

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/srv/srv_mpg_tcd.asp

3 hours ago, keithet said:

I just went to Bangkok bank at Changwatana and they said they needed a embassy letter explaining my funds from overseas because I don't have a work permit because I don't work. 

I’m retired & recently opened an account with Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin. All they asked for was passport & yellow house book (Tabien Baan), took about 10 minutes, required a B500 initial deposit & B400 for the optional ATM card.

As someone else suggested, maybe try another branch?

One issue with a public forum. It often gives a lot of info that is misleading. Transfer Wise to a Thai bank account(in this case Bangkok Bank) shows a foreign transfer code. I don't know about Kbank or any other but BBL has FTT in my bank book for transfers. There are also "receipts", pdf files that can be printed out to show transfers from home. 

It does not always. Only when Bangkok Bank was the first bank in Thailand to receive it. They do sometimes use other banks in which case it shows as a domestic transfer because it then is one.

This has been covered extensively in other thread.

TW uses a total of 3 different banks in Thailand, cannot tell you in advance which they will use, and do not select based on your account (i.e. the fact that your account is in one of the 3 banks they use doesn't influence whether they send to that bank.)

From all accounts they use Bangkok Bank as much as 80-90% of the time so if your account is there it will usually come through as a foreign transfer but not always. There will be an occasional month where it shows as domestic.

It is really very simple: if the bank where you have your account receives the money direct from TW then their records will show that it originated from abroad (in some banks through a code shown in the pass book, in others not but the record is there and the bank can verify it.).

If they received it from another bank in Thailand then their records will show it as a domestic transfer and they have no way of knowing it originated from abroad. Only the intermediate bank would k ow this in that case.

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just get an account at Bangkok Bank. Every expat in Thailand should have one standard savings or fixed account at BB. This will eliminate many of these problems IDing international transfers. 

use that account for transfers only then move the money to whatever bank in Thailand you want.  

Two problems I see with that suggestion:

1.   From what I've read recently, a lot of people having problems opening account with them. They're asking for work permits.

2.   Are immigration going to accept less than 12 monthly international transfers? I for one have been using TransferWise to send my money to SCB, which show up as internal transfers. If I did manage to open a Bangkok Bank account, I'd only have about 8 months international transfers showing.

Archived