Removing old grout

madmen

Have a look in somewhere like HomePro ...you can get a sharp edged tool designed for raking out the grout...just use a little bit of care so as not to chip tile edges...

Of course a good tile shop would also stock the required tool...

The required tool is not a screwdriver ....????

Have a look in somewhere like HomePro ...you can get a sharp edged tool designed for raking out the grout...just use a little bit of care so as not to chip tile edges...

Of course a good tile shop would also stock the required tool...

The required tool is not a screwdriver ....[emoji52]
Ok [emoji108] thanks for the tip. Should be a few you tube vids on the process

I remember buying one of those carbide tipped grout rakers 30yrs ago.

I thought they were useless. You also have to check your guage as they can end up leaving a wavy rut in a wide joint.

Here many joints are less than 2mm so you may not even manage to get it in a joint.

They say the simple ideas are the best.

My subsequent grout raker was a nail banged thro a piece of wood, and here i used a nail thro a bit of hosepipe.

Much easier.

But by the time grout normally gets unacceptable, you want new tiles anyway so rip em off or tile over it.

If you got a few months spare, use the scraper. I use an angle grinder (with appropriate blade). Fills the entire area with grout powder, but, easy and quick. Or, better still, use scraper to remove about one mill of grout, re grout .that would be clever. 

Archived