PM Prayut publicly admits election might be postponed

webfact

PM publicly admits election might be postponed

By The Nation

9966ed16efc6e8ca0a3941aea9e87e28.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha makes a gesture at a ceremony held to mark National Teachers' Day.//Photo : Prasert Thepsri

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha admitted on Wednesday that the election might be postponed but gave assurances it would be within the timeframe of May 9.

The country must have an election, he said in a speech addressing National Teacher’s Day.

"There is nothing that could change that requirement, but the date may be pushed back or brought forward," he said.

“This is required by the Constitution,” said the premier. “Otherwise, we have to amend the charter. But that is impossible.”

This is the first time that Prayut has directly admitted that the election poll might be changed from the previously expected February 24 date.

The country was preparing for the royal enthronement ceremony, he said, and asked that everyone try to keep the country peaceful.

The post-election activities such as results announcement, scrutiny of MP qualifications, and setting up of a new government should not overlap with the coronation, Prayut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362364

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-16

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webfact said:

The post-election activities such as results announcement, scrutiny of MP qualifications, and setting up of a new government should not overlap with the coronation, Prayut said.

You knew exactly when the coronation was going to be, so why did you set the date for the election if you felt that it would interfere?

Deflection upon deflection and the date will be moved on and on. Expect another funeral in the not too distant future delaying it yet again. ????

7 minutes ago, thequietman said:

You knew exactly when the coronation was going to be, so why did you set the date for the election if you felt that it would interfere?

Deflection upon deflection and the date will be moved on and on. Expect another funeral in the not too distant future delaying it yet again. ????

It will always be something.

It may rain. It may be windy, we better postpone the whole thing. Let's move it up 10 years!! 

35 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Might be delayed? I thought it was fairly common knowledge across the country that it was being delayed. Why else would there have been people out on the streets protesting if this wasn't the case?

Further proof he is a deceitful piece of work, who cannot ever be trusted.

Echo that... MIGHT???

It would seem, we're already a long ways past MIGHT at this point....

27 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nothing is going to happen. The only people who care about election are Thai Visa posters. 

Thais either don't care or are scared to have an opinion. I am almost certain most don't care. Even the skies are clearing up and the pollution is down today. Mai pen rai, nothing worry.

That is a lie, the politicians care too, they want to have their share of looting the treasury. So election is important for them a chance to enrich themselves.

Maybe they will even motivate some Thais to risk their lives to so that they can reap the benefits.  

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Echo that... MIGHT???

It would seem, we're already a long ways past MIGHT at this point....

The word MIGHT has several meanings. In this context it means a possibility exists.

The other meaning that came to my mind is that of POWER, and the Prime minister holds all of it. 

His government knew full well that the major event on May 5 was to be held and that he HAD to be in charge of the country when that happened. Then there is another less joyous event in the future which those in power are already aware of. Frankly I think it will be quite a while before people in this country place their X on a ballot paper. 

While the French are revolting, the Thais are relaxing. Maybe that's not such a bad thing?

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nothing is going to happen. The only people who care about election are Thai Visa posters. 

Thais either don't care or are scared to have an opinion. I am almost certain most don't care. Even the skies are clearing up and the pollution is down today. Mai pen rai, nothing worry.

Oh I think the Thais care all right but getting worked up over a bogus election and hitting the streets isn't going to feed the family tonight or buy school uniforms tomorrow. .

The average people turnout for election at of 65.99% say that you are wrong. This is a very healthy world average. You just kissing up to the junta's shenanigans.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

The PM was overheard saying, election is delayed , i aint going anywhere, so suck it up peasants.

Still a few ducks to get in line. 

Correct, when I asked the Chief Cook, the answer to the election postponement and the excuse offered its delay was, "nobody cares about either" 

Thais either don't care or are scared to have an opinion.

Not in the NL household in deepest, redest Isaan they don't. I hardly ever discuss Thai politics with Mrs NL (why would I need to when I already know where she's coming from) but when I casually mentioned the Thai election on a WhatsApp chat earlier today, her response ate up all 9 Gb of my prepaid 4G over here in Burma.

12 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

That's a pretty crappy turnout since voting is compulsory in Thailand.

Not for Thailand where compulsory voting is not enforced. High percentage for that category. People care but life also matters when you have a trigger happy military with no qualms shooting at their own. They rather show that they care at the ballot boxes. 

Archived