Expat Health Insurance

davhend25

Hello all,

I've searched and nothing comes up for this health insurance company for expats, based in Dublin, Ireland, called "Allianz."  I would have sworn I had seen them mentioned on this forum, but search reveals nothing.

Has anyone had experience with this health insurer?

Thanks for any replies.

DH

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Just Googled ALLIANZ. Thailand site came up for me OK.

I'm sorry, I meant that I had searched the TV forums with no results. I was looking for a forum member or members who may have had some experience with this company.  But, thanks for the reply.  I will google search as well.

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It's a solid company but its policies are extremely expensive.  As in 2-3 times more than some other international companies for same level of cover.

Thanks, Sheryl, as always for your helpful and valuable reply.  I am 71 with some major pre-existing conditions. This company looks like they will cover without significant exclusions, albeit at a significant cost. But most companies I've looked at won't cover at all beyond age 70. 

If you have any suggestions for something better, at a lower cost, I would appreciate the information.

I got a quote from AA brokers for Cigna for something called "Close Care" that was pretty reasonable but after looking at their application and seeing that they consider a colon polyp as essentially Cancer, I decided not to pursue further.

Diabetes, which I have (type 2) can be considered pre-existing for almost anything.  So I would be just throwing money away with most of these companies. The medical establishment blames almost everything on Diabetes.

I have a U.S. based policy (BCBS) through my Virginia Retirement plan that will cover Major medical expenses with no exclusions up to $250,000, but the problem is I have to pay the providers up front and then wait for reimbursement. The Bangkok Hospital Group has a direct bill contract with my insurer also, but if anything major happened like a heart attack or stroke, I might run up a bill that I wouldn't be able to pay ahead of any reimbursement I might be due.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. I would really like to stay here in Thailand, but medical may be my deal breaker. 

Thanks!

DH

Cigna does NOT consider a simple polyp to be "essentially Cancer".  Just because it is asked about on the same line of the form does not mean that.  They will want the full details, of course.

But the diabetes will be a problem, with almost all insurers and will at a minimum mean higher rates.

Allianz is nto AFAIK any different than other insurers when it comes to pre-existing conditions. You have to declare htem and they may refuse to insure altogether, or insure with exclusions, or offer to fully insure at a higher rate.

I suggest you go ahead and submit an application to both Cigna and Allianz and see what these two come back with by way or rates and exclusions. Until you submit an application and the underwriters review it, you do not really know.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Cigna does NOT consider a simple polyp to be "essentially Cancer".  Just because it is asked about on the same line of the form does not mean that.  They will want the full details, of course.

But the diabetes will be a problem, with almost all insurers and will at a minimum mean higher rates.

Allianz is nto AFAIK any different than other insurers when it comes to pre-existing conditions. You have to declare htem and they may refuse to insure altogether, or insure with exclusions, or offer to fully insure at a higher rate.

I suggest you go ahead and submit an application to both Cigna and Allianz and see what these two come back with by way or rates and exclusions. Until you submit an application and the underwriters review it, you do not really know.

Thanks again, Sheryl. Sounds like good advice.

DH

Archived