Superstar cop 'Big Joke' on his rise and plans for expats, visas

snoop1130

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said.

Well losing the 90 day report would be nice. I will be interested to see the fine print on the 10 year visa though.

Funny that he is talking about making staying here easier, at the same time that it seems to be getting much harder. Coincidental timing no doubt?

There's no necessary contradiction. You make it easier for those who obey the laws, and harder for those who don't.

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

So I take it then that if the 90 day report is done away with, that you will insist on keep doing them. ahaha

I would rather have a 90 day report than a 10 year visa which isn't 10 years with the accompanying requirements of 3 Million Baht and outrageous medical .requirements, He's not talking about anything new but a change in the  Immigration act so local Immigration offices can process this Visa which is not new.

I'll get excited when he recognizes my marriage to a Thai along with the fixed assets I have provided  my Thai family such as a house; support of Thai children abandoned by their Thai father; various purchases of land; as well as cars and other monies sent on a yearly basis which I can easily  prove. Sorry, If I don't believe any of this nonsense 

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I'll get excited when he recognizes my marriage to a Thai along with the fixed assets I have provided  my Thai family such as a house; support of Thai children abandoned by their Thai father; various purchases of land; as well as cars and other monies sent on a yearly basis which I can easily  prove. 

Having the same rules for men as for women married to Thais would be alright already. No proof of income, easier PR/nationality, etc. Calling all feminists .. [silence].

4 hours ago, Lipoman said:

I'm making my plans for immigrating and retiring in Thailand in the next two years.  

I look forward to Big Joke's ambitious change to current immigration legislation wrt the 90 Day reporting and a 10 Year Visa.  I hope the proposed changes become a reality for all concerned. 

When you move I hope you will give us the opportunity to assist you.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I would rather have a 90 day report than a 10 year visa which isn't 10 years with the accompanying requirements of 3 Million Baht and outrageous medical .requirements, He's not talking about anything new but a change in the  Immigration act so local Immigration offices can process this Visa which is not new.

I'll get excited when he recognizes my marriage to a Thai along with the fixed assets I have provided  my Thai family such as a house; support of Thai children abandoned by their Thai father; various purchases of land; as well as cars and other monies sent on a yearly basis which I can easily  prove. Sorry, If I don't believe any of this nonsense 

Wow, you're good.  You already know he is going to offer us the elite visa nothing more nothing less.  Why not just wait and see what it will be.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

No, they don't. I do have a theory that moral courage is in short supply throughout South East Asia and it very much shapes the societies within it.

Moral courage in a society with a "silver or lead" incentive program? 

Seems like every few weeks, we're reading about some politician or business leader being gunned down in their driveway.

Can't say I blame them for going along, given the alternative.  Accepting the silver may not be admirable, but opting for the lead is downright foolish.

I do not know of every expats circumstances for living in Thailand.

If the good General delivers to those like myself who try desperately to comply with astounding amounts of paperwork every 90 days. Great.

I am trying to be optimistic here ok.

There was mention of a "moral courage" aspect to the journalists that cover political reporting.

May I say that morality is not at the forefront of Thai journalists ambitions. Survival is. Do not be so hard

on the journalists. They try to give real news within a system that is biased against them.

Please try to understand what junta means.

Finally I love Thailand, the Thai people, my Thai wife and their culture.

Most persons wanting to live here should at least find one of the above to base their stay here. IMHO 

Can't believe a 10 yr visa with no 90 day reporting will not come at cost to us, even though it would be a big savings to them. 

With 90 day online reporting finally working most of the time, after many fiasco years. It's click click enter and your done. 

This only helps those with money here, it still leaves the requirement of 800K or 400K in the bank guys high and dry. Money talks, money less expats shown the door! Follows the culture here. 

Lets face it, the 90 day is a pain, but really, it's not a big inconvenience.  The 10 yr Retirement visa will come with a heavy price tag.  The bottom line is that there are immigration folks who want to pick and choose their preferred retiree.  Meaning... people with money. Keep in mind, the criminal types with money, are no angels.  The frugal retirees will be swept aside, underground or into the arms of greedy agents. I'm concerned. Some of us, live quietly, legally and have no other place to go.  I do believe there's some racial and monetary issues at play in the mind of some officials.  This is no big joke. 

13 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The devils in the details- there already is a 10 year Visa- O-X- it comes in two five year issues.  However, it comes with heavy qualifications starting with medical insurance purchased from only a Thai Company unless one already has the proper health insurance from the home country.

There is also a 3 Million Baht needed in a Thai Bank. Once can find the exact qualifications on the Thai Embassy website in Washington; London and Sydney.

I will believe him when I see the possibility of a 10 year extension of a normal visa without added qualifications.

I will believe him when I see people married to Thai citizens allowed to use their wife's income; land acquisitions; houses; and other fixed assets.

The 90 day  reporting is simply a straw man - it is all the other things that will require large amounts of money in the bank that will count. 

I hope I am wrong but I really don't see  Thailand being a preferred destination for retirees in the future unless they are very wealthy

I would also add that if he really wants to do something fair for foreigners- how about a 10 year permanent residence- without quota- allowing a long term retiree or a foreigner married to a Thai to get a form of PR good for 10 years- without the huge cost- and without all the  onerous requirements currently needed. For a person who is successful during the 10 years- no problems with police; payment of taxes etc- the PR then becomes permanent.

I'd love someone to assess the economic benefit per capita of the Malaysian M2H program as compared to the current messy situation in Thailand. The result of such study should drive any reform here. In the meantime we might have a hint of things to come.

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

10 year visa would be nice but wait for the conditions....

Anyway, we're going to set up camp in another country as well, i'm tired of all the hoops..

Me too. I'm currently collecting a lot of facts about the Philippines as a contingency plan. I've also briefed the wife that I/we MAY have to move there in the future and that there is a danger that I may have to put the house on the market to finance the changed circumstances. Best to be prepared.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well his latest invention the special lanes for chinese at immigration is a real big joke.

Yesterday there was 1 lane for foreign passports open and 3 for chinese.

But there were blond  people in the queue for chinese so another asian behind me asked if we also could use that lane for chinese, sure the official lady said....so that's what we did.

Interesting. I usually get approached by an officer, more or less picked by the hand, and guided to a lane with 2 or 3 people in front of me. However I fill the paper you get in the plane, in front of immigration, so when I'm finished all the guys who filled it in the plane already passed it. It also helps to have a plane that lands at odd times  and not when half a dozen planes land same time. Last time I took AF 165 from Paris to BKK ... don't remember when it landed, but it was in the morning. 

14 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Well, glad to hear that we are not all going to get kicked out after all then. I suspect a few extra hoops for us to jump through in due course, but if as he says, it will get easier in time and the 90 day report goes, I think many of us would be a lot happier.

....and many of us a lot unhappier, because you can bet your boots that there'll be a requirement for compulsory medical insurance, which I should imagine includes most older expats because of pre-existing conditions. Many of us can afford to self insure, but not shell out hundreds of thousands of baht a year "dead money".

12 hours ago, humbug said:

why are so many taking his word as future facts! Didnt recently people pour scorn on the 10 year retirement visa with its financial and insurance requirements.

What about when there is a new government, maybe they might have a say in changing the immigration act or hiring a new imm. chief, oh wait a minute wrong thread, thats the rigging votes thread.  

20 year strategy on immigration by Mr Joke et al, lets see if the nationalists keep looking to reduce 'foreigners' living in siam as a national security concern just like good olde 2018

Immigration is actually straight forward. Stay 3 years on the same visa, apply for permanent residency, after 10 years you can apply for citizenship.

With variations, that is more or less the same all over the world ... but for some reason people think they can simply treat Thailand as a big resort. And trash it during it. Oh, here is a non smoking area? Who cares? Oh, we are at the beach, we should take our trash and put it in a bin? Who cares? Oh it is "all you can eat" and not "all you can carry away and drop on the ground"? Who cares? Should I continue?

If people would behave in Switzerland like they do here, no one would complain how they get treated back.

If I was Thai and had anything to say, I would only simplify the paperwork, and except for two or three things, keep everything as it is. 

Archived