Superstar cop 'Big Joke' on his rise and plans for expats, visas

snoop1130

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If your pension is capped, then I understand, but for me, I have found Thailand the easiest place to live. Direct flights, cheep, and most of it is safe. The safety issiu, is mostly in my hands, and not others. 

Cambodia and Phillippines is not an option, and the same for Vietnam. Thailand is for me the easiest and best life, and the visa issue, is not really a problem, but you need to meet the money terms of course. 

Good,  Even with my capped pension I do not have a problem, I was answering the post asking if there are easier options on visas in other countries.    The crazyist thing about the retirement visa is this 800,000 bank - 90 day report etc,    If you have say UK or Thai bank statements of pension income AND a fully comp insurance for re-pat, out patients, hospitalisation accident etc this should be enough,

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why not with compulsory clause for medical insurance...

Thank you, Sir. :jap:

And where would that leave expats who do not qualify for insurance because they are over 70 years of age or have preexisting conditions?

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said.

Well losing the 90 day report would be nice. I will be interested to see the fine print on the 10 year visa though.

Funny that he is talking about making staying here easier, at the same time that it seems to be getting much harder. Coincidental timing no doubt?

Hopefully easier for the good guys and Worse for the Bad Guys .:thumbsup:

Visa requirements are already far more lenient here than most industrialized counties. 

90 day reporting is a great way to keep an eye on possible undesirables who are probably working illegally or are in the likely to permanently overstay bracket, which would definitely include dodgy English teachers and others who have no valid reason to be in the country. No report = they go on the overstay list and become persona non grata.

10 year visas would be great. Yes we must see the conditions. It’s not unreasonable to require a proof of income or a high bank account balance. The last thing the country needs is more poor uneducated whining retirees. 

21 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

And where would that leave expats who do not qualify for insurance because they are over 70 years of age or have preexisting conditions?

AXA do one for 75+   BUT  exclusions outpatients, excess high charge, pre existing conditions etc.

3 minutes ago, Happyfarangguy said:

Visa requirements are already more lenient here than most industrialized counties. 

90 day reporting is a great way to keep an eye on possible undesirables who are probsblu working illegally or are in the likely to permanently overstay bracket, which would definitely include dodgy English teachers and others who have no valid reason to be in the country. No report = they go on the overstay list and become persona non grata.

10 year visas would be great. Yes we must see the conditions. It’s not unreasonable to require a proof of income or a high bank account balance. The last thing the country needs is more poor uneducated whining retirees. 

I agree with the first para., but fail to see how 90 day reports protects in any possible way against "undesirables"?

They will either report every 90 days (the same as everyone else) - or not bother with the required visas at all?

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

This guy is NOT a 'superstar'. He is a sickening narcissist. He is only labelled a 'superstar' because the foolish media keep sucking up to him and giving him the oxygen of publicity.

For Goodness' sake: media, just ignore this bloated, strutting moron. He is all talk anyway. He has NOT got our best interests at heart - that is for sure.

He's already walked the walk and proved that he's not all talk. Hardest working Thai I've ever heard of.

He gave a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he seeks publicity, something he freely admits to.

For me, he's a breath of fresh air in an otherwise murky world of Thai authority.

The recent problems over visa extensions were not caused by him, they were primarily caused by our embassies. He wasn't even in post when the issue first surfaced.

Give the guy a chance, he might just surprise you!

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

A 10 year visa sounds nice. But if it requires having US$ 100'000 in a Thai Bank, even those with the ca$h flow,  will definately get deterred.

The Hon. General should stick to the 800k THB requirement for the 10 year visa, no more reporting 90 days, possibility to freely enter and leave with multiple entries :wai:....... just maybe an annual reporting and that's it !!  Why not with compulsory clause for medical insurance,  contracted either in Thailand but also accepted if from a foreign medical insurance company abroad.

Thank you, Sir. :jap:

You could just move the $100k usd in for 4 months before the check. Then move it back out to your US bank account after your visa is renewed. You would have to pay some substantial wire transfer fees ( or you could do what I do and use Bitcoin to move money around which is much much cheaper ).  That’s what I’ve been doing as I don’t trust leaving even 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. I’d rather keep that money in the US and only move it into Thailand when absolutely necessary.

16 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Well, glad to hear that we are not all going to get kicked out after all then. I suspect a few extra hoops for us to jump through in due course, but if as he says, it will get easier in time and the 90 day report goes, I think many of us would be a lot happier.

and you believe anything this buffoon says? 

6 minutes ago, KnowItAllSMD said:

You could just move the $100k usd in for 4 months before the check. Then move it back out to your US bank account after your visa is renewed. You would have to pay some substantial wire transfer fees ( or you could do what I do and use Bitcoin to move money around which is much much cheaper ).  That’s what I’ve been doing as I don’t trust leaving even 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. I’d rather keep that money in the US and only move it into Thailand when absolutely necessary.

Anything with big deposit has a clause on it for 3yrs or more imposed. So unlikely an in and out for USD 100K would have that freedom. Also it is hard to move that kind of money internationally over USD 10k without being investigated. If you have USD 100k extra just to sit and collect Thai interest then no problem, but then you must look at that banks only guarantee up to a certain amount and I think that would be way over their guarantee if it gets ripped off.. 

16 hours ago, Lipoman said:

I'm making my plans for immigrating and retiring in Thailand in the next two years.  

I look forward to Big Joke's ambitious change to current immigration legislation wrt the 90 Day reporting and a 10 Year Visa.  I hope the proposed changes become a reality for all concerned. 

...in my lifetime

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

He's already walked the walk and proved that he's not all talk. Hardest working Thai I've ever heard of.

He gave a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he seeks publicity, something he freely admits to.

For me, he's a breath of fresh air in an otherwise murky world of Thai authority.

The recent problems over visa extensions were not caused by him, they were primarily caused by our embassies. He wasn't even in post when the issue first surfaced.

Give the guy a chance, he might just surprise you!

Possibly, but I think us expats who have lived here for a few years are a bit jaded when it comes to statements from politicians and the like ☹️.

2 hours ago, Enki said:

Immigration is actually straight forward. Stay 3 years on the same visa, apply for permanent residency, after 10 years you can apply for citizenship.

With variations, that is more or less the same all over the world ... but for some reason people think they can simply treat Thailand as a big resort. And trash it during it. Oh, here is a non smoking area? Who cares? Oh, we are at the beach, we should take our trash and put it in a bin? Who cares? Oh it is "all you can eat" and not "all you can carry away and drop on the ground"? Who cares? Should I continue?

If people would behave in Switzerland like they do here, no one would complain how they get treated back.

If I was Thai and had anything to say, I would only simplify the paperwork, and except for two or three things, keep everything as it is. 

boy, do you have a lot to learn - "Immigration is actually straight forward. Stay 3 years on the same visa, apply for permanent residency, after 10 years you can apply for citizenship." 

Let everyone know how you get on with your PR once granted.

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

Panama, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines ( Philippines also allows your pension free increment increases so you always are on full pension, my mate there gets 160 UK pound a WEEK, I in Thailand get 87 UK pound a week. (capped for 11 years now )

Can we borrow your mates Philippine address please  ?

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

10 year visa would be nice but wait for the conditions....

Anyway, we're going to set up camp in another country as well, i'm tired of all the hoops..

Yes, I am now in the Philippines but still kept my house in thailand

15 hours ago, Eligius said:

This guy is NOT a 'superstar'. He is a sickening narcissist. He is only labelled a 'superstar' because the foolish media keep sucking up to him and giving him the oxygen of publicity.

For Goodness' sake: media, just ignore this bloated, strutting moron. He is all talk anyway. He has NOT got our best interests at heart - that is for sure.

His job is for the BEST INTERESTED OF THAILAND. Not for farang. He is doing his best to get those farang that has the best interest to Thailand. Are you that type of farang?

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

at the same time that it seems to be getting much harder. Coincidental timing no doubt?

American, English and Australian embassies made it much harder, it didn't come from Thai immigration

things are getting ( maybe ) better.

Archived