Superstar cop 'Big Joke' on his rise and plans for expats, visas

snoop1130

Don't know how many times you read some crazy idea that never comes to fruition.

Best one was when some 4 star guy said they were stopping advertising alcohol inside bars. That lasted  until someone pointed out if they are already in bars they came in for a drink.

However when this man Joke says something it would appear he means it. Doesn't take a genius to realize 90 day reporting for people is a pain in the backside especially if your 70 to 80 years old and the mind isn't what it used to be.

I have such a friend who suffered a stroke and personally think !0 year visa's for those over say 65 years of age, who have lived here for X amount of years, should be be given a 10 year or even life time visa automatically

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 90 day report isn't much of a hassle for. moi anymore since General Prayuth set up Immigration Offices in every Changwat throughout the country. 

I just pop into mine on the way to the liquor store - both within a half klick of each other. In goes the passport and out spits the form and I'm out the door in less than 5 minutes. 

Sounds Great ! Let’s see if it happens though.

They should get him to crack down on these Time Share Holiday Scams in Phuket ! Tourists are sick to death of these scams and these English get working visas to operate ? Trust me it’s a scam ! 

6 hours ago, impulse said:

A single female Thai co-worker of mine just got a 10 year visa for the USA, on her first application.

Miracles happen...

Many many Thais get a 10 year multiple entry visa on their first application for the USA. You would just not see it happen or discussed on TVF because of the female company many keep on here. Also the male company of many females is not exactly the best either. There is a huge slice of Thai life that is not TVF. 

Eliminating the nonsensical 90 day reporting requirement along with offering a ten year visa is the most intelligent idea I have heard come from immigration.  

I would deposit 800,000 baht for a ten year visa but there is no way I would do it for a one year extension.  I hope "Big Joke" can make this happen and this is not just hot air. ????

He is a least saying the things citizens like to hear and i think that if he does even a proportion of what he says it is a good thing and to have the 90 day report on the table is the best thing i have heard since i began living in Thailand, i understand the 90 report was introduced to weed out the undesirables but it is mostly ineffective in this regard and most of us live a quiet and happy life in the provinces and the 90 day report is quite unnecessary.

Well done to the Maj. Gen. and keep up the good work.

6 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I do not know of every expats circumstances for living in Thailand.

If the good General delivers to those like myself who try desperately to comply with astounding amounts of paperwork every 90 days. Great.

I am trying to be optimistic here ok.

There was mention of a "moral courage" aspect to the journalists that cover political reporting.

May I say that morality is not at the forefront of Thai journalists ambitions. Survival is. Do not be so hard

on the journalists. They try to give real news within a system that is biased against them.

Please try to understand what junta means.

Finally I love Thailand, the Thai people, my Thai wife and their culture.

Most persons wanting to live here should at least find one of the above to base their stay here. IMHO 

What astounding amount of paper work every 90 days are you on about? I did my 90 day report yesterday, took less than 3 minutes of my time, plus it was completed 5 minute before official opening time of the office. 

For sure it’s not going to be cheap. It’ll make it hard for quite a few that are currently here on retirement visas. I suspect they are touting the benefits associated with the easing of the 90 day report requirements but the real agenda for them is to thin out the numbers. Only those flush with ready cash will be able to stay. A quality retirees agenda to compliment their quality tourist push. 

If this is the case I’m happy to play the game and take my money elsewhere. At the very least it should free up extra immigration officers to reduce the long airport queues with the ever growing numbers of quality tourists coming in. 

12 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I would rather have a 90 day report than a 10 year visa which isn't 10 years with the accompanying requirements of 3 Million Baht and outrageous medical .requirements, He's not talking about anything new but a change in the  Immigration act so local Immigration offices can process this Visa which is not new.

I'll get excited when he recognizes my marriage to a Thai along with the fixed assets I have provided  my Thai family such as a house; support of Thai children abandoned by their Thai father; various purchases of land; as well as cars and other monies sent on a yearly basis which I can easily  prove. Sorry, If I don't believe any of this nonsense 

a much  better requirement for the nation as a  whole.

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

for some but not all. there has been no change for me in five years. and no more 90 day reporting and a ten year visa would only make things better.

The 90 day report costs Bt 28 (Bt 18 certified + Bt 10 SAE) from my local PO five min walk. Worked perfectly for 15 yrs. The 10 yr visa might be interesting, depending on price, eg, ~ 10 x 1,900. The ImmDept would save a lot just in admin costs. But...

"I’d like to remind all foreigners that their stays and businesses in this country have to be legal,” Surachate said. “We’re watching you."

While I understand the sentiments....IMHO...the tone of it wouldn't exactly make a person thinking of coming here for a long or short stay...feel very comfortable.

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"I’d like to remind all foreigners that their stays and businesses in this country have to be legal,” Surachate said. “We’re watching you."

While I understand the sentiments....IMHO...the tone of it wouldn't exactly make a person thinking of coming here for a long or short stay...feel very comfortable.

Australia, Usa, Dubai and many more make you feel welcomed? I see how they treat Asian tourists in Europe, I can assure you, they do not feel welcomed. Im talking about the emmigration, and compare to others, Thailand is in fact a walk in the park. 

Sounds fine, BUT,  there will be some very angry 5 year Elite members,  what will happen there ?  They report every 90 days and have already paid out 500,000 baht to join.

I agree with another poster, if you have lived here more than 5 years, and have some records of purchases,   condo, cars, motor bikes, bank accounts, with an insurance hospitalisation/re-pat to native country clause, Thailand would double or treble it's ex pat visitors.    All this record/proof of income sent to a Thai bank---have a bond of 200,000 banked (returnable when leaving the country for good).....Thailand would have all they want here for feeling comfortable about having no care when ill, or funds to live and eat.   Like an Elite card idea, ( condo purchase) why not give a 10 year visa free if an ex pat buys cash a new car  ????

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said.

Well losing the 90 day report would be nice. I will be interested to see the fine print on the 10 year visa though.

Funny that he is talking about making staying here easier, at the same time that it seems to be getting much harder. Coincidental timing no doubt?

Saying is done a lot in Thailand. Doing is a different thing. No doubt IMO will resist this move as this will mean say 25% reduction in staff for this useless 90 day thing. Maybe he has woken up to the fact Malaysia has been undertaking 10 year rotation for a long time now, Thailand might consider matching them. ???? 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The purpose is because you are on a Non-Immigrant visa which is only actually valid for 90 days on each entry.

If you have an extension, or a multi-entry, then the 90 day report is a substitute for doing a visa run.

If that is true, then why my extension stamp clearly states, " has to leave the country within the date specified herein" and then states a date 1 year ahead and not 90 days?

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

So where do you find better terms and better life? I would like to know. 

Panama, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines ( Philippines also allows your pension free increment increases so you always are on full pension, my mate there gets 160 UK pound a WEEK, I in Thailand get 87 UK pound a week. (capped for 11 years now )

I used to really dislike doing 90-day reportings until they started to enforce TM.30 that is. Now I find 90-day reporting not to be such a problem since I can do it by mail or online, but TM.30 is really a pain.

...and everyday after that, before the ink dries on the new rule another will be superseding it, and so on it goes...welcome to the land of lovely smiles...don't' get married to anything in Thailand, especially what is said...just rent it, have the "go bag" on standby, and smile...

Wait and see as he will surely produce something whether ok or not ok. But he needs to include marriage and family as well and not just retired as there are more people in the mesh of living here that need the leniency for the long time staying with their loves ones..

6 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Panama, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines ( Philippines also allows your pension free increment increases so you always are on full pension, my mate there gets 160 UK pound a WEEK, I in Thailand get 87 UK pound a week. (capped for 11 years now )

If your pension is capped, then I understand, but for me, I have found Thailand the easiest place to live. Direct flights, cheep, and most of it is safe. The safety issiu, is mostly in my hands, and not others. 

Cambodia and Phillippines is not an option, and the same for Vietnam. Thailand is for me the easiest and best life, and the visa issue, is not really a problem, but you need to meet the money terms of course. 

Archived