BANGKOK 18 February 2019 01:06
webfact

Parties offer ideas to ease wealth gap in Thailand

Parties offer ideas to ease wealth gap

By KHANITTHA THEPPHAJORN 
THE NATION 

d2eac1431f88c58678167ee74d51e32c.jpeg

File photo

Ending monopolies, increasing farmers’ income some of the strategies put forward ahead of upcoming elections.

POLITICAL PARTIES got together yesterday to present different ideas to bridge the wealth gap in Thailand ahead of the upcoming general election. 

Among the policies on offer were bringing an end to monopolies that do not benefit the public, judicial reform to prevent conflicts of interest, greater educational opportunities, healthcare coverage for all and bringing the minimum daily wage to Bt350. 

Representatives of 10 political parties shared their strategies at an academic forum yesterday. 

“Inequalities occur because a single business can enjoy a long-term monopoly thanks to help from powers-that-be,” Puea Chat Party’s leader Songkram Kitlertphairoj said. “If my party becomes part of the new government, we will stop these unfair monopolies.” 

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva echoed the opinion, saying his party planned to enforce competition laws. 

“We have to prevent business alliances from taking advantage of people,” he said. 

Abhisit also promised to improve public welfare and ensure a fair distribution of educational and healthcare services. “We aim to carry out judicial reform, which will help solve the conflict of interest among political office holders,” he added. 

Key Pheu Thai Party member Noppadon Pattama said his party had prepared several policies to boost the lives of farmers. 

“For instance, we plan to ensure that paddy is sold at no less than Bt10,000 per tonne,” he said, without explaining how this idea will be different from the controversial rice-pledging scheme implemented during the Yingluck Shinawatra administration. 

Noppadon said his party planned to allow the growing of high-value plants in forest reserves and improve land laws for farmers. He said Pheu Thai also aimed to leverage technology for greater agricultural output. 

“We will also raise the minimum daily wage to Bt350,” Noppadon vowed. The Yingluck-led administration had successfully achieved its election promise of bringing the daily minimum wage to Bt300.

In addition, Noppadon said those interested in learning would be given the right opportunities. 

Meanwhile, Varawut Silpa-archa, who chairs the Chartthaipattana Party’s policy and strategy committee, said his party will ensure that the Education Ministry remains free of political interference. 

“We will welcome the new generation in formulating national education strategies,” he said. 

He added that the Chartthaipattana Party will also work on raising farmers’ incomes and improve their lives through the “farmer settlement project”. 

Future Forward Party’s leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, however, suggested a holistic approach toward resolving inequality issues. 

“Focus on improving people’s quality of life. Did you know that labourers hardly earn enough to survive even after working for 72 hours a week?” he asked. 

Chartpattana Party’s adviser Wannarat Channukul put the inequality down to economic problems faced by a large number of Thais, especially farmers. “I believe these problems stem from the fact that the government has not invested enough in sustainable agriculture,” he said. 

He added that a comprehensive development of water resources and efficiency would boost farmers’ incomes and naturally reduce inequality. 

Preechaphol Pongpanit, leader of Thai Safe the Nation Party (sic), said his party would help needy people in the short term and use technology to improve people’s lives in the long run. 

“Our focus will be farmers, who make up the majority of the population,” he said. 

Bhumjaithai Party member Siripong Angkasakulkiat put the wealth gap down to people not getting equal opportunities. 

“It’s time to cut down the power of state agencies and boost the power of the people,” he said.

Action Coalition for Thailand Party’s core member Anek Laotha-matas, said easing inequality was at the very foundation of democracy. 

“To solve inequalities, my party intends to upgrade the Thai economy to 4.0 era,” he said. 

Seree Ruam Thai Party’s executive Anukul Praepaisan said he believed political parties that were monopolised by a certain group will never really belong to the people. “It is these parties that allow economic monopolies,” he pointed out. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30362391

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-17
  • Haha 1

Raise the daily wage yet again and then the problem the end product price goes up. It needs to be absorbed in the middle, not last on where it hurts the domestic and export over all scenes. 

Monopolies? CP? Yes I agree, even the THAI agree for a better playing field, but in the end it is who has the best price for just say like retail. These corps of companies play hide and seek games by setting up sub companies under dba’s or have share ownership majority in their favor if set up as separate entity. Even look at some 7-11 labeled foods. If not under CP label from a CP factory then they are branded as a 7-11 product made at a CP factory. Of course not all products, but there are a lot, and the tendency is to make everything themselves under their own umbrella if possible, and for normal retail for say ready meals, they are very influential for freezer space and very low end competitive that makes the retail market have higher returns upon sales. Harder for the little guy to compete, and then the little guy is normally not that little as normally has money if they are main stream products. Again not all products but equality doesn’t come in many colors here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

bringing the minimum daily wage to Bt350. 

The gap will never be bridged with such a shittttteye minimum wage. Maybe if it were 200 bht an hour then things would get rolling. Highly unlikely these guys have any idea of what is really going on in the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I wish the Thai-Chinese would stop pretending they care, but I suppose they have to convince the brown Thais.

I'll never forget what i saw in indonesia..they had just burned hundreds of houses where the chinese had their business...they got tired of it...

• Thanks 1

Stop the beer monopolies.....taximonopolies...importtaxes.....supermarketmonopolies...mall monopolies...

Edited by fruitman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Parties offer ideas to ease wealth gap

How about a serious wealth tax on the filthy rich 1% (which includes military generals and politicians) and give it back to the other 99% in the form of improved health, education, road safety, air quality, better wages and welfare support for the needy. That mightn't allow the 99% to acquire any more wealth but it might enrich their lives. 

Any Party that promises that might just come out a winner on election day; if there ever is one.

• Like 2

Some people better give up something, or they are going to lose everything.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“Inequalities occur because a single business can enjoy a long-term monopoly thanks to help from powers-that-be,” Puea Chat Party’s leader Songkram Kitlertphairoj said. “If my party becomes part of the new government, we will stop these unfair monopolies.” 

Instead of dreaming of power, and making complete unrealistic comments, he should read the news and learn how the people in France react to such situation.

The amount of good ideas that come out here is commendable....unfortunately they NEVER materialise  :whistling:

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I'll never forget what i saw in indonesia..they had just burned hundreds of houses where the chinese had their business...they got tired of it...

I believed that was in May 1998. Not the first time but Indonesia Chinese has been attacked since the Dutch East India period. The '98 riots were during the time of massive unemployment and food shortages. The Chinese were easy target for the frustrated Indonesians and when the government was at its weakest which led to the downfall of Suharto.