Smog in Bangkok 'no cause for panic'

webfact

Something doesn't add right.

First: the picture says it is critical if reach 90 and safe if 50.

But for China it start critical at 50.

And where did they get those numbers, in their air-filtered foxhole?

I have total different numbers from the real air polution agency, checked yesterday and today.

Rgds,

19404.jpg

19405.jpg

19406.jpg

19408.jpg

15 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

Don't know what the fuss is about ... I lived in Tianjin North China for 15 years and in the winter we regularly saw PM 2.5 at 400 + and some days were 600+ ... when you cannot see the next block you know it is bad ????

That's nothing - back in London in the fifties air pollution was sometimes so bad that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, and you'd often drop dead before middle age ????

5 hours ago, donim said:

Something doesn't add right.

First: the picture says it is critical if reach 90 and safe if 50.

But for China it start critical at 50.

And where did they get those numbers, in their air-filtered foxhole?

I have total different numbers from the real air polution agency, checked yesterday and today.

This is true, it's as if they're trying to fudge the numbers. I've checked the AQI site several times this month, often seeing figures in the 160-170 range. 

Pollution is incredibly dangerous! When one thinks of the Afghanistan war, one thinks of all the people killed. Actually pollution in Kabul kills more than the war. SOURCE: Click Here

Thailand and surrounding countries can be seen here https://www.stateofglobalair.org/air

Further  reading here Environmental issues in Thailand

FRIGHTENING

Not just humans suffering many birds are dying, especially the small ones, whose lungs cannot cope....

Very sad state of affairs all round.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, realenglish1 said:

Not an emergency Really?  You mean not an emergency for the government, only for  the people The world health organization says it is and so do a number of Professors at some Thai Universities

I guess we half to start dropping like flies before then do something

First then claimed the pollution was from construction sites. They are blaming the roads for being dirty and need to hose them down, not to mention useless water cannons. Even if true which they are not these are remedial, little effective efforts. 

You need to start to clean up the factories and motorcycles

One could argue that "gee a motorcycle is so small. Well multiply that by a few million and you have a pollution problem

Regulate motorcycle emissions Its time

Do you drive a diesel-truck with "upgraded" ECU ???

20 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

Don't know what the fuss is about ... I lived in Tianjin North China for 15 years and in the winter we regularly saw PM 2.5 at 400 + and some days were 600+ ... when you cannot see the next block you know it is bad ????

Not everyone evolve in hell smoothly like you. Most love to be in heaven.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, KnowItAllSMD said:

If anyone wants to buy 2 BlueAir purifiers, the best air purifiers money can buy, message me at [email protected]. I bought them when I was living in Bangkok for 20,000 baht each. Why do they cost that much? Because they’re imports that actually work. BlueAir is the king of air purifiers. I no longer need them living in Phuket and will sell them for 10,000 baht each. They’re basically new, only used for about 3 months. They come with a slick mobile app too.

FAE7D902-20ED-46E2-B00B-F62E5AD3B9CB.jpeg

Are the filters cleanable with water (possibly electrostatic) or do they have to be purchased and replaced when they get dirty?

I'm filtering my Bangkok room air right now 24 X 7 and the filters I use are dirty in a matter of a few days or less of continuous use. I bought a HEPA, multi-layer, non-electrostatic filter for a Mitsubishi air cleaner and it cost me 600 baht. I did not use it because I realized it would have gotten dirty just as quickly as the 3M Filtrete filter material that I now use and is much cheaper (and gets dirty rapidly, telling me it's working - although I don't know what the smallest particle is that 3M Filtrete will trap, it's trapping a lot). 

What people do not realize is the smog does not kill you today or tomorrow, any health problems can appear 10 years after you're exposed to it.

Living in a polluted city like Bangkok for 10 years CAN give you problems.  YOu just need to protect yourself as good as you can. Using filters at home and wearing a pollution mask when it's too bad outside.  After all, you only have one body and you need to look after it. 

Archived