As shutdown lingers, Pelosi pushes Trump to delay State of Union speech

webfact

As shutdown lingers, Pelosi pushes Trump to delay State of Union speech

By Susan Cornwell and James Oliphant

2019-01-16T201836Z_1_LYNXNPEF0F1W9_RTROPTP_4_USA-SHUTDOWN.JPG

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) speaks during a news conference on "Raise the Wage Act" legislation on Capitol in Washington, U.S., January 16, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With the partial U.S. government shutdown now in its 26th day, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday urged President Donald Trump to reschedule his State of the Union address - a move that could deny him the opportunity to use the pageantry of the speech to attack Democrats in their own chamber over the impasse.

With Trump's address set for Jan. 29, Pelosi wrote him a letter citing security concerns because the Secret Service, which is required to provide security for the address, has not received funding during the dispute.

The standoff was triggered by Trump's demand for a round of funding for his promised wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. Congressional Democrats are opposed.

Presidents traditionally deliver the address, which lays out the administration's goals for the upcoming year, in the House of Representatives chamber before a joint session of Congress and the majority of the Cabinet.

Democrats took control of the House after last November's congressional elections. During the shutdown, Trump has routinely blamed them for the stalemate, although he had earlier said he would take responsibility.

Pelosi, speaking to reporters, suggested that if Trump would not agree to reschedule the speech until the government reopens, he could deliver it from the Oval Office instead, a setting that would lack the grandeur of a congressional address.

The White House had no immediate comment on Pelosi's request, and her letter appeared to have taken aides by surprise. It pointed out that she had invited Trump to make the State of the Union address at the Capitol but said the shutdown complicated the situation.

"Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress," Pelosi wrote.

In response, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said on Twitter her department and the Secret Service were prepared to handle a presidential speech at the Capitol.

Representative Jim Jordan of the House Freedom Caucus, a group of conservative Republicans allied to Trump, said Pelosi’s move showed Democrats were "more focussed on stopping the president than they are on serving the country.”

DEMOCRATIC SENATORS RALLY

Both sides sought to ratchet up the pressure over the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

Democratic senators huddled on the outdoor steps leading to the Senate in 39-degree (3.9-C) weather, holding large photographs of constituents furloughed by the shutdown or otherwise affected by it.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said Trump "is using these men and women as pawns. Using them in an extortion game saying: 'I am going to hurt these people unless I get my way.'"

At the same time, the president hosted a bipartisan group of House members to discuss finding a solution to the impasse. White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said the meeting was constructive.

Democratic members who met with Trump said they called on him to end the shutdown and then talk about the issues dividing them.

"Our singular message was we've got to reopen the government and then in good faith we can have negotiations," Representative Dean Phillips told reporters.

At mid-afternoon, a group of freshman House Democrats crossed the Capitol to deliver a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's office, "asking him to exercise his power and bring our bills to a vote" that would fund the government and reopen it, said Representative Susie Lee of Nevada.

"All of us are willing to talk about negotiating, but we want to see people get paid for the work that they're doing" for the government, Lee said.

A handful of Republican senators, including Lindsey Graham and Lisa Murkowski, were circulating a bipartisan draft letter to Trump asking him to support a measure that would reopen the government for three weeks while they work on funding legislation that would address his concerns about border security.

A Democrat who signed the letter, Chris Coons, said it would not be sent unless a substantial amount of Republicans supported it.

Trump on Wednesday signed legislation that would ensure 800,000 federal employees will receive back pay when the government reopens.

Some government employees are being asked to return to work after being initially told to stay home during the shutdown, although they will not be paid on schedule.

Funding for the federal courts will run out next week because of the shutdown, Bob Carlson, president of the American Bar Association, which represents more than 400,000 lawyers, said on Wednesday, urging the administration and Congress to reach a compromise and restore funding to the federal judiciary.

"Immigration courts, which have no current funding and are already dealing with an 800,000-case backlog, have cancelled more than 42,000 hearings, forcing people who have waited years for justice to wait even longer," Carlson said in a statement.

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell and James Oliphant; Additional reporting by Richard Cowan, Ginger Gibson, Susan Heavey, Steve Holland and David Morgan; Writing by Makini Brice and James Oliphant; Editing by Bill Trott, Jonathan Oatis and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-17

Not to worry Donald will get his wall just not the one he invisioned it just might be the kind that comes equipped with bars or if (we)get lucky it might be the one he is stood against if you catch my drift god what a dumpster fire of a presidency 

14 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

He doesn't need congress physically there to deliver the speech. He will probably just highlight the fact they haven't been around DC for a long time anyway. It's Nancy trying to signal she is willing to wait that long. 

I am sure Trump is also.

Oh, yes, he does need the full dog and pony show, especially this fake showboat. Presidents typically use these special events to showcase their power, their influence, and illustrate in bas- relief that the Presidency occupies the ultimate power place in the tripartite system. Walking down the aisle, as the boss, with the obligatory applause and hand shakes, is the ultimate show for any President.

This drama queen will be denied his ultimate pleasure.

21 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Oh, yes, he does need the full dog and pony show, especially this fake showboat. Presidents typically use these special events to showcase their power, their influence, and illustrate in bas- relief that the Presidency occupies the ultimate power place in the tripartite system. Walking down the aisle, as the boss, with the obligatory applause and hand shakes, is the ultimate show for any President.

This drama queen will be denied his ultimate pleasure.

Trump isn't your typical president. I don't think he will care one way or another. I predict he lashes out and makes an issue Pelosi isn't there because she fears for her own life to attend. It's the perfect opportunity to highlight how she values security for herself and not so for others.

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Trump isn't your typical president. I don't think he will care one way or another. I predict he lashes out and makes an issue Pelosi isn't there because she fears for her own life to attend. It's the perfect opportunity to highlight how she values security for herself and not so for others.

You're right, he's not your typical President. He's the most narcissistic, ego-centric, self-absorbed blowpipe in Presidential history. 

He might go solo from the Oval Office, but he will be doing so as a severely wounded animal. He will look ugly bigly.

2 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

You're right, he's not your typical President. He's the most narcissistic, ego-centric, self-absorbed blowpipe in Presidential history. 

He might go solo from the Oval Office, but he will be doing so as a severely wounded animal. He will look ugly bigly.

I don't think Nancy and crew come out of it looking to good if they are too scared to show up in DC because of a lack of barriers and walls and security. Time will tell.

I think security is part of it but also Donald shutting the government down and throwing 800,000 people out of work cause he is scared of fox and Rush Limbaugh might have a bit as well god what a dumpster fire he is!

3 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Now why would Pelosi want to shut down the State of the Union Address? 

Just might be a tad embarrassing for her agenda perhaps? 

She wouldn't make a good poker player. She is basically just telegraphing the fact she is willing to wait that long. I don't think it is true but time will tell. The last thing Trump will do is send a written message because she told him to do so. That would be the dumbest thing of all time to write a letter and then let her read it out and chastise yourself. 

Trump will become louder and more defiant than ever. Please he probably can't write so he would have to tweet the address otherwise. It is sad that the dems think he is so dumb and yet are so afraid they can't beat him.

25 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

We agree, Trump is not your typical President.

I’m struggling to recall another US President who has had to make a public statement that he’s not working for a foreign power.

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m struggling to recall another US President who has had to make a public statement that he’s not working for a foreign power.

Can I ask just out of curiosity who you would like to be the next president? I mean that sincerely just to see how far apart we are. I would much prefer somebody else to Trump. 

Marc Cuban vs. Bill Gates would be better than Trump vs. Warren

I have an advanced copy of the speech - "Me mememememememememememememememmemememememeemememememmememe. Bigley . Memememememememmememememememememmemememememememememmemememememe and French Fries, many, many French Fries.' ????

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh you want to go off topic.

Erm, no to that.

Nah we can stick to MAGA if there are no other suggestions. Anyway Trump is never going to quietly send a letter. Pelosi is delusional if she thinks that. I am sure she knows that won't be the outcome.

Sort of a sad state of affair when the opposition can not even name one person they would prefer to be president. This is the lack of any defining agenda or thought past hating Trump there is these days.

11 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Nah we can stick to MAGA if there are no other suggestions. Anyway Trump is never going to quietly send a letter. Pelosi is delusional if she thinks that. I am sure she knows that won't be the outcome.

Sort of a sad state of affair when the opposition can not even name one person they would prefer to be president. This is the lack of any defining agenda or thought past hating Trump there is these days.

Look what you just did.

First you fail in your attempt to get me to go off topic.

Then you extrapolate your failure to get me to give you my ‘off topic’ opinion into your assertion I don’t have an oppnion.

And of course lace that with your ‘poor Trump’ victimhood stuff.

Away with you and your feeble off topic hogwash.

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I'll take the bait.  Any sane person would say just about anybody's better than Trump.  But from the Rep side, Kasich or Flake would be fine.  As for Dems, Biden is the most logical choice.  Frankly, I'd be fine if we just had an adult in the WH who didn't lie so damn much.  Rep or Dem or ind...doesn't matter.

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And who probably lied about that too.

I am anxiously awaiting the Trump State of the Union address, don't really care where it is held.

The viewers will be afforded, once again, a great opportunity to witness his:

- lies

- braggadocio

- narcissism

- exaggeration

- divisive nature

- wall obsession

- abuse of power

- abuse of public servants

- illiteracy

Please feel free to augment this list.

24 minutes ago, neeray said:

I am anxiously awaiting the Trump State of the Union address, don't really care where it is held.

The viewers will be afforded, once again, a great opportunity to witness his:

- lies

- braggadocio

- narcissism

- exaggeration

- divisive nature

- wall obsession

- abuse of power

- illiteracy

Please feel free to augment this list.

- lies

- braggadocio

- lies

- narcissism

- lies

- exaggeration

- lies

- divisive nature

- lies

- wall obsession

- lies

- abuse of power

- lies

- lies

- illiteracy

- lies

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Sort of a sad state of affair when the opposition can not even name one person they would prefer to be president. 

Actually, the opposition can name many, many people they would prefer. Where do you get this nonsense from?

Now she's just toying with him. She's playing chess and trump is at home alone eating his "hamberders".

Interesting he hasn't come up with a derogatory nickname for Speaker Pelosi, yet.

You know you're a buffoon when you get trolled by Burger King...

I saw that the next Republican candidate for President will be a guy called Kanye West.  When asked about his potential candidature he said, " Yo! Yo! East side, West side, Yo!.......Know what i'm Sayin' "  I think, in that statement, he was indicating that he would be a President for all Americans.  Would be good to have a less divisive person in the White House.

Archived