Security guard nearly gets hit after jumping out to stop traffic - then gives motorist an earful!

webfact

Security guard nearly gets hit after jumping out to stop traffic - then gives motorist an earful!

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Dash cam footage from Bangkok caused widespread comment after a condo security guard jumped out holding a red flag to stop traffic and allow a car to exit. 

The driver of the car - Sirirach Khemasiri - just braked in time so as not to hit the security guard. He commented on a video he posted to Facebook that he was lucky not to be rear ended too. 

He can be heard telling the young security guard politely that he should wait for an appropriate break in the traffic.

Later he told Daily News Online that as he was stopped at the lights a little further on the security guard and a colleague displayed aggressive and angry behavior behind him. 

The incident happened on Nikom Makkasan road heading for Pratunam on Monday afternoon. 

Thaivisa notes that many Bangkok residents complain about security guards being a law unto themselves when it comes to whistling and using red flags to stop traffic. In some places bored motorcycle taxi drivers even take it upon themselves to direct traffic. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-17

Yes they do love the attention,, and the glory...He looks like an up and comer in training,and his superior directed him into traffic which almost got him run over,hopefully after this ,he will be awarded his whistle.   Stand down boys its just a job...

Near me south of Khonkaen a new machinery sales place opened, On the first week of opening they had a guy doing exactly the same thing on the busy Mittrapat rd I nearly came of my bike due to the idiot and all to let a car out, No sign of the security guy for months he was either ran over or stopped from doing it.

Well the security signaled 5 meters too late in front of a speeding car,....... IMO the security f****ed up big time..... as the car was already in the process of speeding. Bad judgment of that nifty security fella here......

Some security guards here do take themselves way too seriously. I remember walking along the pavement in front of an apartment and I was suddenly stopped by one. A bit confused as to why I was stopped, I looked at him and then looked back. I saw a car approaching and indicating to turn in. I just brushed him aside and kept walking. There was plenty of time for me to walk out of the way, and even if there wasn't, I'm the one walking on the pavement, the car can wait 'til it's clear of pedestrians. 

I often find them to be rather aggressive, in their willingness to step out in front of speeding traffic, without necessarily looking for the right moment to do so. It is quite presumptuous of them to assume we are going to stop for them, when in reality it is quite an elitist job they are performing, for their relatively rich condo owners. 

A lot of these are clowns who just step out and expect people to stop and give way to their residents or shoppers. 

Notice the pick-up driver also happily blocks the inside turn-left lane because he's so important every one else must wait for him.

These guards aren't police and have f/all authority. They need to learn better behavior and judgement. 

Whether or not he is a police officer and can or cannot stop the traffic is somewhat beside the point. In a congested city who's drivers are primarily unforgiving and rather selfish these guys are necessary and for the most part they are extremely helpful when attempting to exit a condo etc onto a busy street.

In this case the security guard was overzealous and was lucky not to get hit. Especially as he just stepped out from 'invisibility' while visually shielded by the bus. 

He needed to learn better judgement and I guess he will over time. 

12 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

He is not a police officer so he can't stop the traffic residents there need go out just have to wait for traffic is gone to come out 

this is just another example of me first generation 

This is just another example of not understanding the issue...  in some areas congestion is such that we could end up waiting excessive amounts of time (10's of minutes) to pull out of an office/condo exit because no one gives way...  It is common in such circumstances to edge out in a game a chicken with on coming traffic until a vehicle is forced to stop....  

In recognition of this necessity security guards are often tasked with assisting traffic from exiting offices and condo buildings and when they do so the usually wave, wai or nod thanks to the yielding vehicle.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

What's the fuss About?

It happens every day. Sometimes I can be the only car coming and the security guard will jump in front of me to stop me and allow another car out.

They often try to stop me.  Horning and screaming abuse usually makes them realize (for 10 seconds) their job should be to wait and let people know when there is a safe break in traffic, not try to create one.

In England we have "lollipop Ladies" who stop traffic to allow school children to cross the road safely.

They are held in considerable respect, and almost always have a big smile for the children – and the cars that stop. They seem to be almost an institution in some areas, and they make friends with the children and parents.

There have been quite a few who have been given honours such as MBEs.

1705413528_LollipopladyBettyTimbrel003-1.thumb.jpg.93a0913621d6d75cba242a92a7c514a4.jpg

I don’t think a red flag and a whistle would quite suit them!

Archived