BANGKOK 18 February 2019 01:04
oskar55

Advice wanted - trying to become a teacher

I want to be an english teacher in thailand and was wondering what kind of visa do I come to thailand with? Would I just be coming to thailand with a tourist visa and start applying for jobs on ajarn once I get there? If you're a teacher or have been a teacher how did you do it?

Most come here on a Tourist Visa. If you have a job offer in hand before you come here, you should be able to get a Non-immigrant "B" visa in your home country. There are other possibilities which only apply in a very small percentage of cases.

it's highly unlikely any Thai formal, or non-formal, school is going to prepare and forward supporting paperwork for a non-immigrant B visa application before the person actually comes to Thailand. International schools are the exception to this.

As above, I recommend the 60-day tourist visa obtained from any Thai embassy or consulate.

13 minutes ago, Loaded said:

it's highly unlikely any Thai formal, or non-formal, school is going to prepare and forward supporting paperwork for a non-immigrant B visa application before the person actually comes to Thailand. International schools are the exception to this.

As above, I recommend the 60-day tourist visa obtained from any Thai embassy or consulate.

Well i see on the requirements for a tourist visa is a copy of your flight information showing that you're leaving thailand. So would it be better to just book a one-way ticket and get the visa exemption stamp and do border runs until you get a job?

Get a tourist visa, then find a job while you're here. Decent schools will then help you either convert the Tourist visa to a non-B and then ultimately to an annual extension/work permit; or give you the paperwork to apply for a Non B visa in a neighbouring country.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Get a tourist visa, then find a job while you're here. Decent schools will then help you either convert the Tourist visa to a non-B and then ultimately to an annual extension/work permit; or give you the paperwork to apply for a Non B visa in a neighbouring country.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

ok thanks and could u answer above question? if im buying a one way ticket, i cannot get a tourist visa right, because it requires a flight out of thailand? am i right on this? if so, i should just be coming in on a visa exemption correct? im from usa

- when I came here from Canada, I had a job offer in hand from a Canadian agent, on behalf of a Thai School. I entered Thailand on a 90 day Non-immigrant "B" visa. This was extended to 1 year once I had obtained a Work Permit.

-To the OP: You didn't mention your country of origin-  This return/onward ticket requirement is sometimes overlooked, if you come from a developed, western country. (It is presumed you have, or be readily able to obtain, sufficient money to fly yourself home.) If you are from some lesser-developed country, you need a return ticket. Buy one, and hope that you will be able to throw the return half in the garbage, after you find a job.

- and have B 20,000 in cash in your wallet when you arrive, to show that you can support yourself.

45 minutes ago, allane said:

- when I came here from Canada, I had a job offer in hand from a Canadian agent, on behalf of a Thai School. I entered Thailand on a 90 day Non-immigrant "B" visa. This was extended to 1 year once I had obtained a Work Permit.

-To the OP: You didn't mention your country of origin-  This return/onward ticket requirement is sometimes overlooked, if you come from a developed, western country. (It is presumed you have, or be readily able to obtain, sufficient money to fly yourself home.) If you are from some lesser-developed country, you need a return ticket. Buy one, and hope that you will be able to throw the return half in the garbage, after you find a job.

- and have B 20,000 in cash in your wallet when you arrive, to show that you can support yourself.

USA and on the visa application you show your bank statement anyways. and you mean 20k in baht in your own currency right?

US cash is acceptable, Thai Immigration knows the approximate value of it. Oskar, with a "k"; in my earlier posts I was guessing that you might be Filipino. They don't use "c" if they can use "k" instead.

2 minutes ago, allane said:

US cash is acceptable, Thai Immigration knows the approximate value of it. Oskar, with a "k"; in my earlier posts I was guessing that you might be Filipino. They don't use "c" if they can use "k" instead.

How did you get a job offer outside of thailand? Or were you in thailand already on a tourist visa, and re-entered with the B visa?

I responded to an advertisement in a Canadian newspaper, from a Canadian agent who had contacts with Thai schools.

@udonjoe would they accept a tourist visa application with a one-way ticket and a note saying you're gonna leave by land when the visa expires?