Advice wanted - trying to become a teacher

oskar55

I want to be an english teacher in thailand and was wondering what kind of visa do I come to thailand with? Would I just be coming to thailand with a tourist visa and start applying for jobs on ajarn once I get there? If you're a teacher or have been a teacher how did you do it?

Most come here on a Tourist Visa. If you have a job offer in hand before you come here, you should be able to get a Non-immigrant "B" visa in your home country. There are other possibilities which only apply in a very small percentage of cases.

it's highly unlikely any Thai formal, or non-formal, school is going to prepare and forward supporting paperwork for a non-immigrant B visa application before the person actually comes to Thailand. International schools are the exception to this.

As above, I recommend the 60-day tourist visa obtained from any Thai embassy or consulate.

13 minutes ago, Loaded said:

it's highly unlikely any Thai formal, or non-formal, school is going to prepare and forward supporting paperwork for a non-immigrant B visa application before the person actually comes to Thailand. International schools are the exception to this.

As above, I recommend the 60-day tourist visa obtained from any Thai embassy or consulate.

Well i see on the requirements for a tourist visa is a copy of your flight information showing that you're leaving thailand. So would it be better to just book a one-way ticket and get the visa exemption stamp and do border runs until you get a job?

Get a tourist visa, then find a job while you're here. Decent schools will then help you either convert the Tourist visa to a non-B and then ultimately to an annual extension/work permit; or give you the paperwork to apply for a Non B visa in a neighbouring country.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Get a tourist visa, then find a job while you're here. Decent schools will then help you either convert the Tourist visa to a non-B and then ultimately to an annual extension/work permit; or give you the paperwork to apply for a Non B visa in a neighbouring country.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

ok thanks and could u answer above question? if im buying a one way ticket, i cannot get a tourist visa right, because it requires a flight out of thailand? am i right on this? if so, i should just be coming in on a visa exemption correct? im from usa

- when I came here from Canada, I had a job offer in hand from a Canadian agent, on behalf of a Thai School. I entered Thailand on a 90 day Non-immigrant "B" visa. This was extended to 1 year once I had obtained a Work Permit.

-To the OP: You didn't mention your country of origin-  This return/onward ticket requirement is sometimes overlooked, if you come from a developed, western country. (It is presumed you have, or be readily able to obtain, sufficient money to fly yourself home.) If you are from some lesser-developed country, you need a return ticket. Buy one, and hope that you will be able to throw the return half in the garbage, after you find a job.

- and have B 20,000 in cash in your wallet when you arrive, to show that you can support yourself.

45 minutes ago, allane said:

- when I came here from Canada, I had a job offer in hand from a Canadian agent, on behalf of a Thai School. I entered Thailand on a 90 day Non-immigrant "B" visa. This was extended to 1 year once I had obtained a Work Permit.

-To the OP: You didn't mention your country of origin-  This return/onward ticket requirement is sometimes overlooked, if you come from a developed, western country. (It is presumed you have, or be readily able to obtain, sufficient money to fly yourself home.) If you are from some lesser-developed country, you need a return ticket. Buy one, and hope that you will be able to throw the return half in the garbage, after you find a job.

- and have B 20,000 in cash in your wallet when you arrive, to show that you can support yourself.

USA and on the visa application you show your bank statement anyways. and you mean 20k in baht in your own currency right?

2 minutes ago, allane said:

US cash is acceptable, Thai Immigration knows the approximate value of it. Oskar, with a "k"; in my earlier posts I was guessing that you might be Filipino. They don't use "c" if they can use "k" instead.

How did you get a job offer outside of thailand? Or were you in thailand already on a tourist visa, and re-entered with the B visa?

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"gonna"?

Are you planning to try to teach English?

According to oxforddictionaries.com

Origin

Early 19th century (as ganna): representing a regional or colloquial pronunciation.

44 minutes ago, bojo said:

According to oxforddictionaries.com

Origin

Early 19th century (as ganna): representing a regional or colloquial pronunciation.

at least there is an abbreviated verb in that slang. an improvement over many teachers.

In any case, someone that wants to be an AJaarn should not have a problem getting visa,
since a Professor is usually well qualified.

The process for working legally in Thailand basically comes down to obtaining a valid work permit to do so. You would first have to obtain either a Non-Immigrant “B” which requires a degree in any field or a Non-Immigrant “O” which does not. Both of these Non-Immigrant visas open a 90 day window for you to obtain a valid work permit from your employer and once you obtain your work permit, your visa is also extended a year from entry. As also suggested, you can enter Thailand under a Tourist Visa. The difference upon receiving either Non-immigrant visa or Tourist Visa on entry is very slight. If you arrive on a non-immigrant visa you will have 90 days of validity from the date you entered Thailand activated it. The tourist visa gives you 60 days of validity from the date you entered Thailand activated it with an optional 30 day extension to equal a total of 90 days. The 30 day extension can be done at any immigration office or border crossing nationwide and costs 1,900 Thai baht for the extension. My son did this in 2011 but worked with one of the city TEFL schools -- once enrolled, they offered a month long course to acclimate him into the Thai educational system and upon successful completion, helped him find a job.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"gonna"?

Are you planning to try to teach English?

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one poster going on about the OP's use of English. You have heard of conversational English, haven't you, herr weird?

You don't mention your background. Are you an appropriately qualified and experienced English language teacher?

There are plenty of TEFL jobs that don't require experience - everyone has to start somewhere! Rather stupidly in my opinion, a proper TEFL qualification is often not required, while a degree (in anything!) is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one poster going on about the OP's use of English. You have heard of conversational English, haven't you, herr weird?

Sure have but I was commenting on his written English, have you come across that before?

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Sure have but I was commenting on his written English, have you come across that before?

Yes, but it is more of an American English expression. Anyway, how we talk online is much different from how we talk in the classroom or boardroom, n'est-ce pas?

Archived