BANGKOK 21 February 2019 06:12
oskar55

Advice wanted - trying to become a teacher

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"gonna"?

Are you planning to try to teach English?

According to oxforddictionaries.com

Origin

Early 19th century (as ganna): representing a regional or colloquial pronunciation.

44 minutes ago, bojo said:

Origin

Early 19th century (as ganna): representing a regional or colloquial pronunciation.

at least there is an abbreviated verb in that slang. an improvement over many teachers.

In any case, someone that wants to be an AJaarn should not have a problem getting visa,
since a Professor is usually well qualified.

My advice would be to contact TEFLPROS.com

The process for working legally in Thailand basically comes down to obtaining a valid work permit to do so. You would first have to obtain either a Non-Immigrant “B” which requires a degree in any field or a Non-Immigrant “O” which does not. Both of these Non-Immigrant visas open a 90 day window for you to obtain a valid work permit from your employer and once you obtain your work permit, your visa is also extended a year from entry. As also suggested, you can enter Thailand under a Tourist Visa. The difference upon receiving either Non-immigrant visa or Tourist Visa on entry is very slight. If you arrive on a non-immigrant visa you will have 90 days of validity from the date you entered Thailand activated it. The tourist visa gives you 60 days of validity from the date you entered Thailand activated it with an optional 30 day extension to equal a total of 90 days. The 30 day extension can be done at any immigration office or border crossing nationwide and costs 1,900 Thai baht for the extension. My son did this in 2011 but worked with one of the city TEFL schools -- once enrolled, they offered a month long course to acclimate him into the Thai educational system and upon successful completion, helped him find a job.

You don't mention your background. Are you an appropriately qualified and experienced English language teacher?

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"gonna"?

Are you planning to try to teach English?

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one poster going on about the OP's use of English. You have heard of conversational English, haven't you, herr weird?

• Like 1

You don't mention your background. Are you an appropriately qualified and experienced English language teacher?

There are plenty of TEFL jobs that don't require experience - everyone has to start somewhere! Rather stupidly in my opinion, a proper TEFL qualification is often not required, while a degree (in anything!) is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Try using capital letters with proper nouns for a start.😎

Do you have a degree? One that the schools and/or immigration can verify? Being from America will help, but without an actual degree or a TESOL certificate,  it could be a tough slog finding a job.

• Like 2

" I want to be an english (sic) teacher in thailand (sic) and was wondering what kind of visa do I come to thailand (sic) with (sic)? "

I would just come and get a job; it seems you are perfectly qualified.

23 hours ago, bojo said:

Origin

Yes, so not correct written English!

19 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

And there it is. I knew there would be at least one poster going on about the OP's use of English. You have heard of conversational English, haven't you, herr weird?

Sure have but I was commenting on his written English, have you come across that before?

On 1/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, oskar55 said:

I want to be an english teacher in thailand

Jesus wept, don't forget English and Thailand. Your grammar is poor. What kind of teacher will you be? More like teach the teacher

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Sure have but I was commenting on his written English, have you come across that before?

Yes, but it is more of an American English expression. Anyway, how we talk online is much different from how we talk in the classroom or boardroom, n'est-ce pas?