Besides internet, what do I need to get Netflix?

giddyup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need access to the Netflix app and an account with them.  The app is for mobiles or  tablet. I dont think you can get it onto your TV without it being 'Smart' or without some kind of 'box', but others may know more about that. I have a UK Netflix  account, I access the service through a VPN, or just put up with the Thai available service.  I have the app on my android, my iPad and on the smart TV. works a treat on TOT fibre wifi.  

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

You need access to the Netflix app and an account with them.  The app is for mobiles or  tablet. I dont think you can get it onto your TV without it being 'Smart' or without some kind of 'box', but others may know more about that. I have a UK Netflix  account, I access the service through a VPN, or just put up with the Thai available service.  I have the app on my android, my iPad and on the smart TV. works a treat on TOT fibre wifi.  

Thanks. When you say you "just put up with" the Thai available service, does that mean the Thai service is sub-standard?

Just now, giddyup said:

Thanks. When you say you "just put up with" the Thai available service, does that mean the Thai service is sub-standard?

No what he means is that what programs that are available differ per region. I use the Thai version and have absolutely no problems with what is available. Best would be if you have the US version with a VPN that works. However netflix discovers new VPNs all the time and blocks them. I think its just best to accept what they have (huge selection). Besides you can try it for free for 1 month.

Other maybe cheaper option is to use a cable between a laptop and the HDMI port of your TV and share the screen. Its cheaper but i just like that i just plug in the fire stick and am ready to go. You do have to have WIFI in your house for it.

To see if you like the programming on netflix you can also just subscribe for a month and look at it at your computer. Then you don't have to buy anything and only buy a firestick or hdmi cable that connects laptop or computer with TV when your satisfied with the programming. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Try to get an amazon fire stick, preferably one with a remote. If you have a free hdmi port you plug it in there and the remote on your TV will allow you to change between sources. 

My Panasonic TV is about 5 years old now and only has one HDMI port which is already in use. The TV still works perfectly so it would be a waste to replace it just to get extra HDMI ports or a Smart capability. Just wondering if Netflix Thailand is all that good. I download a heap of stuff already via the torrent sites, so what more would I be getting with Netflix?

Just now, giddyup said:

My Panasonic TV is about 5 years old now and only has one HDMI port which is already in use. The TV still works perfectly so it would be a waste to replace it just to get extra HDMI ports or a Smart capability. Just wondering if Netflix Thailand is all that good. I download a heap of stuff already via the torrent sites, so what more would I be getting with Netflix?

Giddyup, you can always just switch HDMI ports.. I mean take your current connection out and connect to netflix when you want. 

What you get is a lot more stuff and Thai stuff too with English subtitles or if your wife is not good at English there are Thai subtitles for all the stuff they have.

Why don't you just subscribe for free and try it on your computer first ? Then you can see what they have. I download a lot of stuff too. Maybe even more then you but i still like netflix. 

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I would not go that far.  The range of movies available is a lot better than I expected when I first moved here and they are adding to the list almost monthly.  Its just that I do like some of the old UK, TV shows that are only available on the UK version, so a VPN helps with that.  

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

wow that is really rude. it is a joke.

It might be but its also disinformation, people who dont know any better might think you need special new cables for netflix. I don't find disinformation funny.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Giddyup, you can always just switch HDMI ports.. I mean take your current connection out and connect to netflix when you want. 

What you get is a lot more stuff and Thai stuff too with English subtitles or if your wife is not good at English there are Thai subtitles for all the stuff they have.

Why don't you just subscribe for free and try it on your computer first ? Then you can see what they have. I download a lot of stuff too. Maybe even more then you but i still like netflix. 

Thanks, I'll take your suggestion and sign up for a month free.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, I'll take your suggestion and sign up for a month free.

I was hesitant at first too to try it.. because i downloaded a lot. Now i use it a lot because its so easy and the interface is so good. My gf loves it that she can get either Thai or English subtitles.

Before i was the one looking for subs (if your not careful subtitles sites are full of viruses). So now she can look at it when she wants.

My subscription can be viewed at two devices at the same time.

I use it on a Samsung TAB A brilliant I bought the package with full HD and you have two accounts when you login it can be your name and your wifes click which one you want, You can get rid of the subtitles like me I just watch in English

The range of shows on Netflix in Thailand is good.  There are some shows available on Netflix in the U.S. that I can't get on the Thai service, and that's a bit annoying, but in general it's worth it. 

(I binge my favorites not available here on my trips back to the U.S.)

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Spoken like someone who does not have a clue and expects netflix to have their own cable. 

Spoken like someone who needs to assemble the following words in the correct order 'humour' 'of' 'sense'. ????

26 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can you choose to view in English with Thai subtitles in Thai Netflix?

Yes you can all shows have Thai subtitles. (or at least all that the GF has watched) there were even some Thai shows that i watched in Thai with English subtitles. Sometimes you can even switch what soundtrack is used. 

40 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I tried the free month when Netflix first started here. I had trouble finding anything on it that I wanted to watch, and I dont think I used it all after the first couple of days.

I suppose the content may have improved since then.

How long ago was that ? and maybe your taste differs from mine. I can almost find everything though some shows are not up to date. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

How long ago was that ? and maybe your taste differs from mine. I can almost find everything though some shows are not up to date. 

Cant really remember. At least a couple of years. It was within a month or so of them starting up here.

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Cant really remember. At least a couple of years. It was within a month or so of them starting up here.

I don't know anything about back then right now there are many shows to watch.. too much actually. But we might differ in what we like. I am quite pleased with it. 

58 minutes ago, adammike said:

As long as there's an HDMI socket on the TV get a Google Chromecast plug it into the HDMI socket download the Netflix app to your phone and cast whatevers on the phone/tablet/laptop to the tv Netflix and YouTube etc. 

Why use a chromecast when amazon fire stick  does the same and you get a remote with it. Id hate to fiddle with the phone to operate the TV. But that is just a personal preference. 

Archived