Besides internet, what do I need to get Netflix?

giddyup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Real humorous chap you are....

Thanks, i normally am, but this was a topic for people who did not know a thing about netflix. A picture like that could confuse people and make them think you need yet an other cable for netflix while you only need internet, even WIFI internet. 

For people who know about its not such a problem, but there  quite a few who are total beginners and might not understand the joke. Anyway maybe an overreaction but as you see I tried to give good info in the topic. 

Get an Amazon Fire Stick,  Amazon Fire TV, Roku or something similar.  

We have a Netflix account in the UK, which works well.  When we are here in Thailand,  we log on to Netflix just the same.  There are the occasional missing series it films compared with the UK,  but not enough to bother us.  Certainly cannot be bothered to mess around with VPN's for the sake of a TV program or two.  .

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

My Panasonic TV is about 5 years old now and only has one HDMI port which is already in use. The TV still works perfectly so it would be a waste to replace it just to get extra HDMI ports or a Smart capability. Just wondering if Netflix Thailand is all that good. I download a heap of stuff already via the torrent sites, so what more would I be getting with Netflix?

If you have access to torrents don't waste the money on a netflix subscription, anything decent on Netflix will be available to download

5 hours ago, robblok said:

No what he means is that what programs that are available differ per region. I use the Thai version and have absolutely no problems with what is available. Best would be if you have the US version with a VPN that works. However netflix discovers new VPNs all the time and blocks them. I think its just best to accept what they have (huge selection). Besides you can try it for free for 1 month.

Or just stick with the pirates.

I have netflix and use a chromecast on one TV and a firestick on another.  Firestick has one advantage over chromecast........you can download certain VPN apps to the firestick.  For example, Strongvpn is available for just a few dollars per month.  

The vpn gives you the option to view US-based netflix as well as shows like PBS (frontline, pbs newshour, pbs series, etc).

Netflix offers subtitles on all its shows.......always synced with the video and 99% spot on.  

Netflix is on my list of all time great inventions.....atm machines, microwave popcorn, internet banking......and netflix

Basically you need some sort of internet connected media player to plug into your HDMI port.  The Firestick that someone recommended is probably fine though I prefer to use an Android TV box.  They range from generic Chinese boxes that work adequately and probably start at around 1000 baht to the NVIDIA Shield that is pretty expensive but has enough CPU power to choke a horse.  Lazada offers a good assortment.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Why use a chromecast when amazon fire stick  does the same and you get a remote with it. Id hate to fiddle with the phone to operate the TV. But that is just a personal preference. 

You're right, it's definitely a matter of personal preference. So for example, for me personally I'd rather not have another separate remote control to mess around with and keep track of. There are also a load more apps that have support for a Chromecast than an Amazon fire stick (I have yet to find an app with a casting option that does not work with a Chromecast) and the Chromecast is cheaper.

There's a good comparison of the Chromecast, Fire TV and Roku devices on the link below and I would have to agree with its conclusion that the Chromecast edges ahead of the others. YMMV

Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast face-off

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I tried the free month when Netflix first started here. I had trouble finding anything on it that I wanted to watch, and I dont think I used it all after the first couple of days.

I suppose the content may have improved since then.

It has massively improved - compared to when it first started there is probably something like a hundred times more content. There's so much stuff on there that you'd probably not be able to get through it all even if you watched TV 24 hours a day for an entire year.

I have the US version of Netflix  No issues Netflix is aware of where you are. The Thai shows are added to the list of what you can see. My wife and I watch English movies all the time with Thai subtitle so she can follow it. I have a smart TV but I prefer using my Roku devise connected to the TV and wireless to the router/modem. You can also watch Netflix on a laptop or apple devise and projected into your tv or use a HDMI connection. 

19 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You're right, it's definitely a matter of personal preference. So for example, for me personally I'd rather not have another separate remote control to mess around with and keep track of. There are also a load more apps that have support for a Chromecast than an Amazon fire stick (I have yet to find an app with a casting option that does not work with a Chromecast) and the Chromecast is cheaper.

There's a good comparison of the Chromecast, Fire TV and Roku devices on the link below and I would have to agree with its conclusion that the Chromecast edges ahead of the others. YMMV

Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast face-off

It has massively improved - compared to when it first started there is probably something like a hundred times more content. There's so much stuff on there that you'd probably not be able to get through it all even if you watched TV 24 hours a day for an entire year.

Nice face-off.. i just like a remote. But truth be told i do most of my netflix watching on my computer 32 inch monitor while the GF uses the firestick on the TV. 

Run a cable from your PC to TV and use the hdmi port.  Get a VPN that works with Netflix on your pc.  Go to Unogs and find all the movies and what country they are playing in.

Quality sound and picture depend both on your equipment and the site that you use to get Netflix.  Check before you buy what your equipment will handle.  Netflix will tell you. I was on with them once for 2 hours to sort a monitor problem. 

A fast enough internet connection, I have 3BB fibre now out in the sticks in Kalasin province, 749@ baht a month, an Android tablet and a Chromecast. I don't have a smart TV, in fact it's quite old at 6 years, but plug in the Chromecast, get it talking through your tablet. You get Netflix on the tablet, cast it with the cast icon to your TV and away you go. No delays, no freezing. Also works with Spotify and Utube, probably other apps too. 3BB put the cabling in from the village and provided the router for free. Of course you need a Netflix account, the content seems to vary somewhat by country, as does choice of languages and subtitles. No VPN, infact Netflix won't work with a VPN.

Just now, Kalasin Jo said:

A fast enough internet connection, I have 3BB fibre now out in the sticks in Kalasin province, 749@ baht a month, an Android tablet and a Chromecast. I don't have a smart TV, in fact it's quite old at 6 years, but plug in the Chromecast, get it talking through your tablet. You get Netflix on the tablet, cast it with the cast icon to your TV and away you go. No delays, no freezing. Also works with Spotify and Utube, probably other apps too. 3BB put the cabling in from the village and provided the router for free. Of course you need a Netflix account, the content seems to vary somewhat by country, as does choice of languages and subtitles. No VPN, infact Netflix won't work with a VPN.

Not true.  VPN's do fine with Netflix if you get the right one.  Netflix will check your speed under the help section.  I've found it is quite a bit lower than the other speed testers report. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not true.  VPN's do fine with Netflix if you get the right one.  Netflix will check your speed under the help section.  I've found it is quite a bit lower than the other speed testers report. 

Witch VPN do you have. I am looking to get one to be able to access optumrx-com login page to order my med from the state.

13 minutes ago, pcolombe said:

Witch VPN do you have. I am looking to get one to be able to access optumrx-com login page to order my med from the state.

I would not want to encourage anything improper.  However google has no problem doing that.  Google VPN's that work with Netflix and then try them out.  Purchase a month at a time because nothing lasts forever. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Spoken like someone who does not have a clue and expects netflix to have their own cable. 

Duh!

Sarcasm. You have obviously never interacted with Brits.

I knew he was joking and wet myself!

Ps not literally ???????? just in case

5 minutes ago, maprao said:

Duh!

Sarcasm. You have obviously never interacted with Brits.

I knew he was joking and wet myself!

Ps not literally ???????? just in case

I knew he was only trying to make Thai people feel bad and depressed about the state of their wiring (Brits like making the natives feel bad - colonial thing I guess).  There are three kinds of cable that I know of and 3bb is the fastest and best in my opinion but also the easiest for the rats and squirrels to chew.  I have no idea why they like to chew it.  Chewed mine 3 times in 5 years.  3bb speaks English OK give them a call and they come out in a day or so and fix it.  The technicians seem to have no trouble finding the right lines.  

If you have a laptop or desktop computer that has an HDMI port, you do not need an app, remote, Firestick, Android box or an expensive VPN. I have been streaming Netflix US content, Amazon Prime, VUDU, US TV, BBC I-Player, AUS 7 Plus, Nine and other geographically restricted content for most of 2 years, using my laptop, 3BB and a never failed Proxy that costs less than 35 baht a month. If you want more info or advice send me a PM.

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I would not go that far.  The range of movies available is a lot better than I expected when I first moved here and they are adding to the list almost monthly.  Its just that I do like some of the old UK, TV shows that are only available on the UK version, so a VPN helps with that.  

Interesting. I visited Chiang Mai a few months ago and have HULU, FIRESTICK, and AMAZON PRIME. Brought everything with me to see what would work in Thailand. Results: from my IPad, nothing worked. All brought up a nag stating that due to international blah, blah, blah I was using an IP address that was not in the 

USA. I do not have NETFLIX but would expect it to have the same problem.

Mention of the use of a VPN makes perfect sense but I did not have one.

As for technology that can transmit your VIDEO and AUDIO from your phone or ipad or laptop, there are many on the internet that support that VIA WiFi and BLUETOOTH. how do I know they work because I have both and use them there and here.

i.e. Video from my video camera, and ‘stills’, anything that is on my screen shows up on the TV with either HDMI, Y R W cable, Ethernet to BLUETOOTH. 

As for not having enough HDMI, there are many HDMI SWITCHERS both AUTOMATIC and Remote Control that support 1060p, 4K, and higher. 

All of these devices priced well below $40 usd

Now if someone could help me with the VPN problem.......

1 hour ago, HogRidr60 said:

Interesting. I visited Chiang Mai a few months ago and have HULU, FIRESTICK, and AMAZON PRIME. Brought everything with me to see what would work in Thailand. Results: from my IPad, nothing worked. All brought up a nag stating that due to international blah, blah, blah I was using an IP address that was not in the 

Of couse Hulu and Amazon don't work as they are not available (as is marketed) in Thailand. But Netflix is available in every country in the world (I think except for China and North Korea).

1 hour ago, HogRidr60 said:

Mention of the use of a VPN makes perfect sense but I did not have one.

As for technology that can transmit your VIDEO and AUDIO from your phone or ipad or laptop, there are many on the internet that support that VIA WiFi and BLUETOOTH. how do I know they work because I have both and use them there and here.

i.e. Video from my video camera, and ‘stills’, anything that is on my screen shows up on the TV with either HDMI, Y R W cable, Ethernet to BLUETOOTH. 

As for not having enough HDMI, there are many HDMI SWITCHERS both AUTOMATIC and Remote Control that support 1060p, 4K, and higher. 

All of these devices priced well below $40 usd

Now if someone could help me with the VPN problem.......

PM me and I can give you a recommendation that seems to work very well for me.

Archived