Besides internet, what do I need to get Netflix?

giddyup

20 hours ago, moonseeker said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/roku-express-5x-more-powerful-hd-streaming-i278864016-s449071216.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.15.44f240dehw3nPm&search=1

MS, please bear with my lack of understanding.  I looked at this link and I'd like to know how it works.  I have a WiFi device in the house which can support up to 10 client devices, and currently have 2 Win7 desktops and 1 Android Smartphone which my wife uses.  If this device can connect to the wifi, and with my TV using a HDMI cable, and I get a Netflix subscription, am I good to get Netflix on my TV?  But how do I tell this device the wifi SSID and Key because as far as I can see there is no UI?  I can't imagine how that could be done using the supplied remote control.  And similarly how do I use this device to get other free channels such as Aljazeera, BBC, NHK, CNN, kid's CN, etc, in the same way I can get them on my Win7 desktop.

I don't have a Smartphone, and have no interest in getting one.  I believe they are a threat to society.

My interest is not only in getting Netflix, but being able to free myself from the grip of TrueVisions, a truly awful service in terms of value for money.

Cheers, UW.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, UniqueWord said:

MS, please bear with my lack of understanding.  I looked at this link and I'd like to know how it works.  I have a WiFi device in the house which can support up to 10 client devices, and currently have 2 Win7 desktops and 1 Android Smartphone which my wife uses.  If this device can connect to the wifi, and with my TV using a HDMI cable, and I get a Netflix subscription, am I good to get Netflix on my TV?  But how do I tell this device the wifi SSID and Key because as far as I can see there is no UI?  I can't imagine how that could be done using the supplied remote control.  And similarly how do I use this device to get other free channels such as Aljazeera, BBC, NHK, CNN, kid's CN, etc, in the same way I can get them on my Win7 desktop.

I don't have a Smartphone, and have no interest in getting one.  I believe they are a threat to society.

My interest is not only in getting Netflix, but being able to free myself from the grip of TrueVisions, a truly awful service in terms of value for money.

Cheers, UW.

That device will connect to your TV.. no HDMI cable needed just an open HDMI port

It will also connect to your network 

If you also pay for netflix  then your set to go

During installation it will ask for the wifi password.

20 minutes ago, UniqueWord said:

Cheers, UW.

Whatever you plug into your HDMI port on your TV will need an application to run it and you will need a phone a laptop/pc to download the app to.I use an android phone and Chromecast as the are both owned by Google they are integrated, when I open it up the first time the Chromecast only needs the password it doesn't need SSID etc.you are making what is very simple unnecessarily complicated.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, Pilotman said:

I would not go that far.  The range of movies available is a lot better than I expected when I first moved here and they are adding to the list almost monthly.  Its just that I do like some of the old UK, TV shows that are only available on the UK version, so a VPN helps with that.  

The USA version carries a range of TV shows, movies and standups out of Great Britain. I just signed up so maybe it's new.

22 hours ago, adammike said:

Whatever you plug into your HDMI port on your TV will need an application to run it and you will need a phone a laptop/pc to download the app to.I use an android phone and Chromecast as the are both owned by Google they are integrated, when I open it up the first time the Chromecast only needs the password it doesn't need SSID etc.you are making what is very simple unnecessarily complicated.

Totally wrong nothing like that is needed if you use a fire stick its stand alone and will ask for password of netflix and of wifi. No phone or computer needed. Its not a chromecast

It's all here...

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/412

https://devices.netflix.com/en/

Gazillions of devices. A lot of newer, but inexpensive TVs have Netflix embedded, or downloadable. 

I use:

Samsung TV (embedded) - supports wired ethernet and WiFi.

Chromecast

Amazon Firestick

Tablet

Phone

I share a local (THL) Standard package (350 THB, 2 log-ins, FHD). Netflix USA just announced a slight price increase, assume this will hit here at some point? They paid $100 M USD to re-up Friends for another year, up from $30 M USD. Not too shabby for a DVD rental "business model".

Archived