Bangkok's toxic smog: "Life Coach" says masks are pointless - try mind over matter

webfact

Bangkok's toxic smog: "Life Coach" says masks are pointless - try mind over matter

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading online female "Life Coach" has suggested that wearing masks to combat the dangerous particles in Bangkok's air is a waste of time and might even be harmful. 

Instead people should be concentrating on mind over matter.

The woman - who was not named - has 72,000 followers online but was not available for comment when Daily News Online called. 

She had since taken down her post but screen captures were used in the Thai media as comment on the issue spread across Thai social media. 

The "Life Coach" said that people who wore masks were likely to bring stress on themselves and that coupled with an increased risk from lack of oxygen could cause more harm than good. 

She said that a university study she had helped with showed that people who wore masks were inherently worried about their health and the stress made it worse.

The cause for many respiratory problems in the survey were not environmental factors such as air pollution but alcohol use and cigarette smoking, she concluded.

She used a Thai proverb "Jit pen nai, gai pen bao" that roughly equates to the English term about using mind over matter or which suggests that by not worrying about something, it won't harm you. 

Her comments caused much debate online as many people believe that the problem causing 2.5 micron particulate matter can be filtered out by the use of masks.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-17

Sounds like this idiot hasn't learned much through any experiences she has had. A true charlatan.

Sadder still though is that she'll get through to a fair few of her followers. Critical thought is thin on the ground in LOS at the best of times

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

What is a life coach ?

Hereabouts it's just a copy, as usual.

In the real world I'd say it's another Millenial 'invention' - we used to call it >parents< ...

However, tackling toxic pollution with your 'mind' ... yeah, that'll work ...!?

So I'm calling ...

834639977_BS-100.gif.c86db4809f79acfd4be88f63cfe44e9f.gif

... on that one.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A leading online female "Life Coach" has suggested that wearing masks to combat the dangerous particles in Bangkok's air is a waste of time and might even be harmful.

Pah! I bet tomorrow she'll be telling us amulets are a waste of time and don't prevent accidents.

Yes its the old mind over matter - they don't mind, you don't matter.

I guess its the latest offshoot of those following caveman science. Just close your eyes, whistle Dixie and everything will be fine. And then blame foreigners.

In a sense, she is correct. Most of the masks that people are wearing are utterly ineffective, since they are "loose" and do not force all of the air through the mask, but instead pull much of the air in from the open sides. Also, many masks are not capable of filtering PM2.5. She is also correct in stating that our minds have a significant influence on our general health.

That said, wearing a proper mask in this pollution is, without question, better for one's health.

What a fruitcake ( aren’t they all likewise ????????‍♂️ ) Her followers must be as thick as she is ( aren’t they all thick as wood ?! ) To think that a good 3m nose and mouth mask wouldn’t help or prevent the small particles to filter in one’s body.

She’s only somewhat correct about the stress that it may cause but if you just relax and breathe normally you may be able to survive another day in Bkk if you walk around..I wouldn’t endanger myself about driving though.

Best bet is to wear one of those gas masks, can you imagine ? Coming soon !

12 hours ago, Ramdas said:

What a fruitcake ( aren’t they all likewise ????????‍♂️ ) Her followers must be as thick as she is ( aren’t they all thick as wood ?! ) To think that a good 3m nose and mouth mask wouldn’t help or prevent the small particles to filter in one’s body.

She’s only somewhat correct about the stress that it may cause but if you just relax and breathe normally you may be able to survive another day in Bkk if you walk around..I wouldn’t endanger myself about driving though.

Best bet is to wear one of those gas masks, can you imagine ? Coming soon !

You're forgetting that if anything is posted on faeces book, or similar, it must be true.

Let me find the video I took of the 8 ft cobra that comes to my front door every morning to be hand fed.

Archived