A reduction of 100 million+ plastic bags at 7-eleven stores in one month

webfact

A reduction of 100 million+ plastic bags at 7-eleven stores in one month

By The Thaiger

a865e239ae88a52d30b23f361f4e6352.jpeg

More than 100 million plastic bags have not bee used at Thailand’s 7-eleven stores in the past month, valued at more than 20 million baht.

CP All Public Company, the sole operator of 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand, announced its intention to reduce and, eventually, to eliminate the use of single-use plastic bags at all their stores throughout the country.

Siamrath news is reporting that 102,323,402 plastic bags have been rejected or unused between December 7 to January 13. The savings, some 20,464,681 baht, will now be donated to Siriraj Hospital.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/a-reduction-of-100-million-plastic-bags-at-7-eleven-stores-in-one-month

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one key, to get the clerks into the habit of asking.
I use Tesco Lotus delivery service, since I am disabled and do not drive here. Thirty baht delivery fee is a good deal in my mind, plus I usually tip the delivery guy twenty baht; my wife does not approve. ???? 
One of the options is to have your groceries delivered "without carry bags". They still manage to sneak a couple in, but I do repurpose them for trash and putting the recyclable cans, bottles, etc. in the condo "garbage room".

1 minute ago, Bill Miller said:

That is one key, to get the clerks into the habit of asking.
I use Tesco Lotus delivery service, since I am disabled and do not drive here. Thirty baht delivery fee is a good deal in my mind, plus I usually tip the delivery guy twenty baht; my wife does not approve. ???? 
One of the options is to have your groceries delivered "without carry bags". They still manage to sneak a couple in, but I do repurpose them for trash and putting the recyclable cans, bottles, etc. in the condo "garbage room".

Keep tipping, nice touch, never mind 'er indoors, it's really appreciated and why not if you can afford it....

13 minutes ago, bojo said:

Keep tipping, nice touch, never mind 'er indoors, it's really appreciated and why not if you can afford it....

Yeah, tipping is not "Thainess", I guess.
My sainted grandmother, who was responsible for much of my "civilized" training, instructed me in the "art". She also stressed the importance of sharing with those less advantaged than one's self.
I am a "baht millionaire", though qualify for some low income programs when living in the US. Go figure. Why many of us live here, I reckon.

43 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Would be fine, but I don’t believe that numbers

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

I find it incredible that they can quote to the exact number of bags and therefore the exact money down to the last satang. 

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I find it incredible that they can quote to the exact number of bags and therefore the exact money down to the last satang. 

Probably something to do with computerised systems, the shop managers having to report to CP and CP's knowing how much the bags cost the company!

19 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Well, I worked since 2006 with government agencies in that business trying to persuade companies like CP to stop classic plastic bags.

You worked with Thai government agencies doing that?  Really?  So what are your alternative facts, then?

16 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Not saved money they are losses for CP as they give the bags out of for free

So you think that the bags that CP paid for and didn't have to "give away free" cost the company money?  How does that reasoning work exactly?

By the way, the bags are not given away free as their cost to CP is factored into their prices charged for goods.

So you think that the bags that CP paid for and didn't have to "give away free" cost the company money?  How does that reasoning work exactly?

By the way, the bags are not given away free as their cost to CP is factored into their prices charged for goods.

Possibly but this is very limited calculated . For that reason they not introduced higher priced Bioplastic bags in there stores

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

only thing worth eating

Well they sell beer too.. ????

I always ask them to double bag my beer  in case the flimsy bag breaks and my beer falls out onto the floor..ohh and  once home the bags are used as bin liners and soi dog "pooper scoopers"  so very useful

Archived