A reduction of 100 million+ plastic bags at 7-eleven stores in one month

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And they worked this out how???

I've had a look and it's stumped me.

102,323,402 simplifies to 1.2.43.1189807 (1189807 is a prime number)

I reckon they guesstimated. Or they actually got the staff to count them

My estimation is 203 bags a day for 38 days per store.

Only because I keep telling the checkout girls "Mai au tueng krap" everytime I buy a bar of chocolate or a bottle of water - or my absolute favourite: a hot cup of coffee (who in their right mind puts a takeaway cup in a plastic bag?!?!)

7 minutes ago, djayz said:

Only because I keep telling the checkout girls "Mai au tueng krap" everytime I buy a bar of chocolate or a bottle of water - or my absolute favourite: a hot cup of coffee (who in their right mind puts a takeaway cup in a plastic bag?!?!)

So is that yet another branch where they don't ask you if you want a bag for single purchase items, despite their website claim from two years ago they were introducing it?

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So is that yet another branch where they don't ask you if you want a bag for single purchase items, despite their website claim from two years ago they were introducing it?

Honestly, more times than not they don't ask me. However, I have noticed over the last few months that more and more staff ask. Stores where I shop regularly know me and just hand me the small item without asking. There's a MaxValue close to where I work and I pop in there at least once a day to buy a can of Red Bull. I swear to you that the check out guy reaches for a bag every time and I have to tell him I don't want one. This has been going on at least once a day for the past 6 months... If that ain't brain dead, I don't know what is! 

Now, as another poster has already pointed out, if only I could stop them from offering me straws and plastic cutlery when I buy drinks or food... ????

4 hours ago, Mickmick said:

Actually it's a bit more than that......

102,323,400 bags/31 days / 11,000 stores = 300/day or 12.5 bags/hour, or roughly one bag refused every 5 minutes in every store across thailand. 

Sorry CP, but that does not sound realistic ! Perhaps in areas with more environmentally minded Thais and foreigners that "might" be true but i rarely see anybody except me bring their own bag into my local 7/11 in On Nut, and I'm sure in Nakhon Nowhere the refusal rate is minimal.

Of course, anything is better than nothing but I think they are fudging the numbers here.

Or it could just be that they have less customers using less bags .......

Of course, you're right.  I used 2 mill by 10,000 stores and 30 days per month.  I used to be good at mental arithmetic but obviously now I should use a calculator.

11 hours ago, wobalt said:

Would be fine, but I don’t believe that numbers

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

Only one per person per three weeks. very believable.

I'd like to see the percentages.

Khop Khun tii mai rap thung plastic na kaaaa!

The Girls Love ferangs who try to show off with overkill.!.????[emoji481]To me its like Chalk on Blackboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, djayz said:

The same person, who puts an ice cream - cone into a plastic bag!

Happens all the >deleted< time!

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

The same person, who puts an ice cream - cone into a plastic bag!

Happens all the >deleted< time!

I'll pick up on this one.  Icecreams are normally put into a bag to keep them frozen until you get home.  The bag is foil, not plastic.  If they then add a plastic bag, then just refuse it.

31 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I'll pick up on this one.  Icecreams are normally put into a bag to keep them frozen until you get home.  The bag is foil, not plastic.  If they then add a plastic bag, then just refuse it.

Yes...of course, I refuse it!

But read again: I am not talking about icecream- boxes or buckets, which are put into the foil bag to keep it cool!

I am talking about a SINGLE icecream cone, that is obviously for prompt consumption! 

Still put in a bag! (Still refused by me!)

On 1/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, rkidlad said:

I've noticed lately that they thank me for refusing a bag. Glad to see the message is getting through. Even if it's just a little bit. 

In Jom Tien, I started carrying an empty backpack in and have them put everything in there as its a nice walk back to my place...........lady tells me more people started doing this but I was first  ????  A lot of places in Vietnam sell their name brand tote bags  win win  -  maybe 7/11 Thailand should do the same thing.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:11 PM, 1337markus said:

Amazing Thailand, LOL!

Why is that Amazing Thailand?  I guess your comment is because there is a value attached?  It is a business.  They know how many bags they use and they know how much they cost, why wouldn't they?

Do you think Tesco in the UK, Sainsbury's, absolutely any supermarket wouldn't know the price of their bags and exactly how many they use?

What a bizarre comment.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:57 PM, hotchilli said:

And they worked this out how???

It's not rocket science.

How many bags do they use, on average, per month.  How many bags did they use in the month sincethe new policy was introduced.  Subtract one number from the other and bingo, there you go.

Glad I could help.

I know I've replied to this topic earlier, but I had to think of this again this morning. Went to 7/11, bought a sandwich toast and a croissant. The cashier girl heated up the sandwich for me, so far so good, but then proceeded to put the croissant in a bag (without asking me).  I stopped her and put it in my side bag. So far, so good. As I waited for the sandwich I decided to buy a Kit Kat. This too, she tried putting in a bag.... again without asking... and again I had to take it from her and put in my side bag. Fair enough, I did take the hot sandwich toast away in a plastic bag - just 'cos it was hot. 

The cashier girl obviously can't even "read" her customers. Some ask, others don't. I can't understand what, if any, corporate policies are being shared with staff/new comers. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

{snipped}

The cashier girl obviously can't even "read" her customers. Some ask, others don't. I can't understand what, if any, corporate policies are being shared with staff/new comers. 

You've got it spot on there, mainly because there doesn't seem to be any corporate policy, just a bullshit attempt at PR from 7 Eleven.

Archived