Overstay 16 years

31 minutes ago, balo said:

The main problem here could be your passport, if it's expired.  Not easy to avoid IDC if that is the case. 

That's crap along with all the other nonsense you hear here like 'you will need to wait a few days till they go through the archives somewhere in bangkok and find your original arrival date and card etc..'  - source a friend with 10 year overstay - lost and well expired passport (no details remember) - no idea of arrival date just month and year. Make an appointment and go to your embassy in bangkok and get the necessary travel documentation and advice, the most difficult part of this is probably getting into the embassy grounds with no valid ID, hopefully you have a considerate guard that it can be explained to - take a thai.   When ready to leave turn up at the airport early as possible (so be the first in checkin line) they like to play the game of making you wait at the overstay counter until it appears the gate is going close and your screwed, but you'll be fine. 

Edited by digitalnobhead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

The main problem here could be your passport, if it's expired.  Not easy to avoid IDC if that is the case. 

This is what I was thinking.

Passports are good for 10 years.  The OP is a 16 year overstay. 

What passport does he hope to travel anywhere on????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

This is what I was thinking.

Passports are good for 10 years.  The OP is a 16 year overstay. 

What passport does he hope to travel anywhere on????

He could have applied for a new passport or gotten an emergency travel-doc.  If the latter, he might only be able to go to Belgium - policy differs by country on ETDs.  Hopefully he got a new full-passport, and so his options are less limited.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

He could have applied for a new passport or gotten an emergency travel-doc.  If the latter, he might only be able to go to Belgium - policy differs by country on ETDs.  Hopefully he got a new full-passport, and so his options are less limited.

I accept what you say, but if we do the math, and "assume" a little, let's say the OP entered Thailand 16 years ago with a new passport, which is best case scenario.  This passport expired 6 years ago.

How did he get a new passport, 6 years ago, with a 10 year overstay?

If he has a passport he can use, then he can't be a 16 year overstay.

I'm a visa runner, and have never overstayed, and never will, thus, I am not up to date on the overstay legalities, but something doesn't sound right. 

I'm starting to sense a troll. 

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, NamKangMan said:

I accept what you say, but if we do the math, and "assume" a little, let's say the OP entered Thailand 16 years ago with a new passport.  This passport expired 6 years ago.

How did he get a new passport, 6 years ago, with a 10 year overstay?

I'm starting to sense a troll. 

Maybe.  But does your embassy care if you are on overstay regarding issuing a new passport?  Honest question - I don't know - but guessing it's not their problem.

The worse-case is if he "lost" a passport, and does not have a police-report for this.  That could prevent departure. 

If he shows up with an old/expired passport with his entry-stamp shown, or police-report for his old/lost passport, plus a current passport or ETD allowing onward-travel, he should be fine. 

If flying direct to Belgium, I think he could even travel there on his old/expired passport (your own country cannot deny you).

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

Maybe.  But does your embassy care if you are on overstay regarding issuing a new passport?  Honest question - I don't know - but guessing it's not their problem.

The worse-case is if he "lost" a passport, and does not have a police-report for this.  That could prevent departure. 

If he shows up with an old/expired passport with his entry-stamp shown, or police-report for his old/lost passport, plus a current passport or ETD allowing onward-travel, he should be fine. 

If flying direct to Belgium, I think he could even travel there on his old/expired passport (your own country cannot deny you).

Surely, Embassies can not be complicate in a crime. (overstaying)  Would they really issue a new passport for someone on such a long overstay?  I seriously doubt they would.

In relation to flying direct to Belgium, it's my understanding NO airline is obligated to accept a passenger without a valid passport.  They simply will not let you board, and it's understandable, as it's not their problem.

If the OP is not trolling, I can only assume he has an expired passport, so must be detained for the purpose of arranging an emergency passport and paying his overstay fine.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not hard to do. Embassies do not care about a person being on an overstay. It is not their responsibility to check for it when accepting an application for one.

How would a person leave the country without a valid passport if they refused to issue one?

You were posting when I was typing.

I know you are experienced in all things visa related UJ, but perhaps we can hear from a member who has actually received a new passport from their Embassy or Consulate, whilst on an overstay, and I mean, a serious overstay, not just a few days. 

As I said in a later post, of course an Embassy would issue an emergency passport, but I would suggest that is only with documents from Immigration official because the person is in detention.

The OP could do like JT suggested and present to his Embassy claiming a lost / stolen passport, but doesn't that require a police report? Wouldn't the police verify identity with immigration?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I met a Swedish chap in Pattaya in 2008. He had overstayed (sort of) for a number of years. When his passport was OK, he went across to Laos, at Nong Khai, and got a stamp out. Then paid to be rowed across the river, back to Thailand.

According to the Thai, authorities, he is not in the country. He thought it better than years of overstay fines.

What a stupid thing to do. The maximum overstay fine is 20,000 baht. Being found in the country on overstay (expired permission), or without permission, is the same punishment!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

You were posting when I was typing.

I know you are experienced in all things visa related UJ, but perhaps we can hear from a member who has actually received a new passport from their Embassy or Consulate, whilst on an overstay, and I mean, a serious overstay, not just a few days. 

As I said in a later post, of course an Embassy would issue an emergency passport, but I would suggest that is only with documents from Immigration official because the person is in detention.

The OP could do like JT suggested and present to his Embassy claiming a lost / stolen passport, but doesn't that require a police report? Wouldn't the police verify identity with immigration?

I did precisely that with an 11 year overstay. At that time the applications were sent direct to the UK not Trendy. There was not an issue. One's immigration status is not their concern.