Video: Another loony Thai truck driver on the roads - motorist plans visit to the police

webfact

3 hours ago, saigonsunset said:

Guy in the car is flashing his headlights to 'let others know he is coming'. Truck driver probbaly took ofence to that and I must say it is pretty <deleted> unnecessary, still no need to run him (car) of the road.

Not unnecessary at all. For more than a decade it has been the norm to flash a truck before passing at night. This habit dates back almost 15 years when truckers worked such long hours that they often fell asleep or just didn't notice the other vehicle and carnage ensued. Professional drivers such as chauffeurs will often not wish to pass the truck unless the left-hand signal was given in reply to the flash to signify the driver was aware of their presence. 

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, he wasn't doing that, he flashed once and only when when the truck that he was already half-alongside veered towards him.  Pretty 'kin necessary and reasonable in the circumstances.

He is flashing at the very beginning of the video while still being far away from the first passenger car he wants to pass and that doing it again when passing the truck, again still being far away

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

Rather "heroic" for the driver, of what looks to be a smallish passenger vehicle, to give a huge truck/trailer combo the (very irritating) "make way for me" flash.

Yes, usual escalation is horn - flash - machete - guns - bodies. Such peace loving people.

4 hours ago, alien365 said:
4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Huh?  The motorist didn't flash until he was half-way alongside the trailer at which point the truck veered into his lane!  Nothing to do with a "make way for me attitude", much more like "take care, I'm alongside you and you're veering into me".

He flashed at 35 seconds into the video. Way before he was alongside.

Correct… he flashed before passing – about 70m to 50m.

Earlier on in the video the driver of the car also flashed as he approached the Petrol Station as another HGV was waiting to pull out. 

Flashing the lights to ‘wake up’ other traffic, especially at night, is very common, especially at night on roads without a central divide. 

However, anyone attempts to dress this up the simple fact is that this Truck Driver is deliberately threatening another vehicle.. and deliberately attempting to cause an accident. There is no provocation beyond what is widely accepted as normal practice when driving at night in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, Fred31 said:

The truck driver was British I think, they never know what lane is which

Wow,Not bad 20 posts in and you managed to fit a Brit bash in on a topic that has nothing to do with Brits or fallangs at all as far as we know, well done first one i've seen this year!

7 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Yep, my trucks bigger than your car syndrome.

There are some drivers for whom being overtaken is a loss of face, an admission that you're not so important as the guy in the car.

I suppose you get drivers like that in all countries, but in Thailand, the 'losing face' thing is an obsession and goe to the heart of how important you are.

It's very sad that a whole nation of people should be propagandised into this kind of culture, surely nobody deserves that...

17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Video reveals why the UK consistently ranks among the worst countries in the world for road rage.  

One of the things why I didn't move to UK back in 1999 when I was offered a job there was that I didn't want my head bashed in after a night in the pub. Islanders are violent folks, must be the isolation.

23 hours ago, alien365 said:

He flashed at 35 seconds into the video. Way before he was alongside.

Looking at it again, you're right, but he clearly flashed there because the truck was wandering over it's lane marking into the outside lane.  It was a brief warning flash that he was there, not unreasonable, it was not a "get out of my way" flash.

Archived