Recycling empty glass bottles

ravip

We collect and separate our waste into glass, metal and plastic.

Once every couple of months we take it to the tip. They pay for metal, glass and plastic.

Usually enough for breakfast for two on the way back home.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bojo said:

Wait for the guy driving a saling and probably his missus too, to come round and relieve you of them of course! Don't forget to provode your own boxes!

A guy comes to our place every three months or so, so I definitely have quite a few empty beer bottles which I put back into the boxes as they are easier to store that way. He immediately puts the bottles into pig-feed bags, flattens the boxes and gives me almost F all for them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grollies said:

Beer, soda water, coke bottles washed and re-used.

I drink Archer Beer (made by Thai Beverage Co (Chang) but the bar I drink it at does not return the bottles, and says the company will not take them, which I find explainable ?

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

I drink Archer Beer (made by Thai Beverage Co (Chang) but the bar I drink it at does not return the bottles, and says the company will not take them, which I find explainable ?

There was a big discussion about this on Facebook. Many people said they won't get refilled but many Thai people told me they will (after all, they get about double for a box of the same empty bottles than they do for mixed cartons). I know for a fact that some bottles are getting refilled. Have a look at the San Miguel Light bottles. Most of them say PROPERTY OF SAN MIGUEL BREWERIES or something and some show clear signs of wear.

Edited by wump

22 minutes ago, wump said:

There was a big discussion about this on Facebook. Many people said they won't get refilled but many Thai people told me they will (after all, they get about double for a box of the same empty bottles than they do for mixed cartons). I know for a fact that some bottles are getting refilled. Have a look at the San Miguel Light bottles. Most of them say PROPERTY OF SAN MIGUEL BREWERIES or something and some show clear signs of wear.

I don't remember ever having bought a Singha, Chang or Federbrau or a bottle of Vino where the bottle showed signs of wear. I would be wary if it did.

• Like 1

A couple comes by usually ever two weeks and takes all types

of bottles and pay 50 baht or so. Papa likes it because he gets a

little extra money. 

We’ve 11 family members and that makes for a few water bottles. 

Lucky only 4 or 5 stay here the rest at cow farm house 3 minutes 

away and they go by our house usually one of the kids will come in 

and raid the refrigerator.

wifes sister husband has the little one trained. The little one will come in and say one or two beers for PI. Then off he goes,

at 7/11 the other day and the little was with me. I tell him get himself something. He was at the counter a few seconds before 

me and he’s talking to the cashier he told her a big thai whisky.

and Locked at me said for PI. PI trained him well.

little extra money. 

wifes sister husband has the little one trained. The little one will come in and say one or two beers for PI. Then off he goes,

at 7/11 the other day and the little was with me. I tell him get himself something. He was at the counter a few seconds before 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

little extra money. 

Pi means 'brother' or 'sister' doesn't it?

On its own it means elder brother or elder sister and is sometimes used as a sign of respect talking to an older person who isn't quite old enough to be called uncle, aunt, mother or father.  It also means 'ghost' if you get the tone wrong.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, ravip said:

Whats the easiest, best and environmentally friendly method of getting rid of empty glass bottles in Thailand?

I have some transparent plastic garbage bags I use for recyclable items, such as alu-cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, metal, and reusable cardboard. I place the recycle bag next to the normal garbage bags, and it always disappears – if you're by a public road the recycle bags can disappear faster than garbage, sometimes within an hour – some will sort what can be recycled, and where, and make little money on it; win-win...????

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, bojo said:

Wait for the guy driving a saling and probably his missus too, to come round and relieve you of them of course! Don't forget to provode your own boxes!

When I got here my missus saved everything waited for this truck to come around calling out to them when they came through the neighborhood. While waiting everything piled up, area smelled ants everywhere. The guy puts out a scale and weighs everything after got something like 40-60 baht.  I was rolling on the ground laughing scratching my head!

I sad her down and had a long talk with her basically told her I appreciate where you came from I too had a similar upbringing but you don't need to save everything you have things now and can share with others these things we can give away to people who need it more than us.  Today clothes are donated every 6 six months to the orphanage all our recycle are given to the sidecart couple or first come first serve. My thinking if anyone is willing to work hard dig through garbage they deserve these recycle items.????