Buying Thai Stocks - How?

I am living here since more than 10 years. I am considering buying Thai stocks. How can I buy Thai stocks? Do I need an account with a stock broker? Which is the best with lowest fees? Can I open an account online? -  I would like to trade online. I will not trade forex. Only stocks and only Thai stocks. I checked Bualuang Securities and found their fees hefty. I have a Bank account with Bangkok Bank.  Please no foreign brokers. Any ideas/experience appreciated.

I have no idea about Thai stocks and buying them online, it's hard enough to find trustworthy European brokers and American one which isn't registered in some bullshit countries such as Cyprus and have crap regulators like CYSEC that don't protect you and find ones regulated in the UK by the FCA or in states by FINRA. But if you live in BKK, they're plenty of local brokers/businesses who have offices you can visit and you can go discuss in person about your options and if you're looking for low risk or high-risk stocks and they can set up a portfolio for you. Then you will be assigned an account manager, who will deal with you and keep you updated on everything. I have a Thai friend who specifically deals and works in the stock market for a reputable company, but his company only deal with 'big clients' in 'Thai terms' at least 5 million+ thb deposits. How much are you looking to invest? I can put you in touch with him if you're looking to invest that sort of money and he would set up a meeting for you to come to his companies office and discuss in detail more.

If you need to ask very basic questions like this you're clearly should not be buying Thai stocks.

You'd be better off buying Thai mutual funds where you can have experts select the stocks to be held in the fund.  A mutual fund will also hold dozens or hundreds of stocks, so if one company fails you only lose a small proportion of your investment.

You can open and account and buy mutual funds via your bank.  After that you can buy/sell online.

Technically you're not buying from a bank, but from the bank's asset management subsidiary.  They have separate websites such as:

https://www.krungsriasset.com/EN/Home.html

https://www.tmbam.com/home/en/index.php

https://www.ktam.co.th/en/Default.aspx

&c.

I'm using SBI and I'm very happy with their service so far. https://www.sbito.co.th/?lang=en

0.075% commission, no minimum trading requirement. Only restriction as a foreigner is that you have to use a cash account, no credit or leverage.

You can apply for direct debit service to transfer funds from your bank account to the cash account instantly.

Trading is done online via SETTRADE from PC or mobile app.

Requirements are as follows:
- Residing in Thailand (no tourist visa)
- Bank account from one of the following banks: Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Krungsri Bank
- Thai mobile number

You have to visit their office in person to apply for the account. They are located in Thai Summit Tower on Petchburi Road.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, nofarang said:

I have a Bank account with Bangkok Bank.  Please no foreign brokers. Any ideas/experience appreciated.

Bangkok Bank has similar options like others. I use Bangkok Bank for so-called Fund Books, which are mutual funds, whilst I invest in SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand) via my SCB account.

I replied before to a similar question recently, you might be interested in my post, even it's based on my SCB experience...

You're welcome to ask questions, if you think I can help you further...????

I am also interested in this topic. I have a good idea about UK companies and the UK markets but want to look further here. More information on Maybank in the way of feedback from the users above would be welcomed. I also would appreciate any feedback on how things go with regards to income tax on dividends and sales (hopefully profits) if already in possession of a work permit and paying the higher tax bracket on income. Any pointers or links would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, Korat88 said:

I am also interested in this topic. I have a good idea about UK companies and the UK markets but want to look further here. More information on Maybank in the way of feedback from the users above would be welcomed. I also would appreciate any feedback on how things go with regards to income tax on dividends and sales (hopefully profits) if already in possession of a work permit and paying the higher tax bracket on income. Any pointers or links would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Capital gains are exempt from personal income tax if the shares sold are of a public company registered on the Thailand stock exchange. 

On 1/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, Korat88 said:

If a Thai National ownes the account there are certain tax advantages which are not available to a none thai.

Maybank produce a daily briefing but unfortunately only in Thai.

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

If a Thai National ownes the account there are certain tax advantages which are not available to a none thai.

That's an interesting (and perhaps dubious) assertion.  Perhaps you'd care to clarify?

On 1/19/2019 at 11:38 AM, Korat88 said:

I also would appreciate any feedback on how things go with regards to income tax on dividends and sales...

Dividends on SET stocks are withheld 10% tax, i.e. 90% are credited to your account. If you are not otherwise taxable in Thailand, so don't need to do anymore. If you are taxable in Thailand, to my knowledge you don't need to inform about dividends where 10% tax has already been withheld, but in some cases you might be due to a tax deduction.

For capital gain see above posters reply.

Archived