Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 February 2019 07:13
edwinchester

Home CCTV what type to buy?

Recommended Posts

Hi, wifey would like to put up three or four security cameras around the outside of the house.

Looking for advice as to a reasonable system to install, preferably by myself.

I like the look of the ones with their own memory card rather than having to have a hard drive box.

WiFi and being able to monitor through a smartphone app sounds good.

Anyone have any experience they want to share?

Thanks for reading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea, my Thai son thinking of doing the same.

 

But just wondering about "... the ones with their own memory card rather than having to have a hard drive box."

 

I mentioned this thread / comment to my Thai son, his comments:

 

- But do you have to get a ladder or whatever and climb up to the camera if you want to take the memory card out?

 

- Or it this set up to automatically send the pictures to a central storage 24/7, or perhaps on demand?

 

- If professional thieves see that the camera has it's own card then they would very likely smash the camera and ensure that the card is smashed too.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the YI Dome camera at my house. It does have a memory card but in fact you can download pics, videos to your smartphone or laptop. Connects to wifi and can be controlled from anywhere in the world with your device. Comes in 720 and 1080p versions. Good value for money. Recommended. Easy to install however, it is not waterproof and needs to be installed appropriately.

Edited by delanoalvis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Hi, wifey would like to put up three or four security cameras around the outside of the house.

 

They are not "security" cameras. They are surveillance cameras. Best you will achieve is a picture of the back of a hooded man carrying your TV.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I never quite understood why these cameras are called security cameras. They simply provide a photo of the intruder at best. If there is a need for security, then an electric fence is the best option. There are systems available which stun any intruder and provide an alarm. They also stop snakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

There are systems available which stun any intruder

 

The word stun is a bit erroneous bit they certainly give a nasty jolt. Not something one would suffer voluntarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

  I never quite understood why these cameras are called security cameras. They simply provide a photo of the intruder at best. If there is a need for security, then an electric fence is the best option. There are systems available which stun any intruder and provide an alarm. They also stop snakes.

Best for security is a komodo dragon. Friend tried it once, but then he let his kids play outside ....

 

Yeah, nah. Good topic that needs an update. Look forward to hearing the opinions of others. I've been a bit slack on this for my house, so can't contribute much, sorry to say. Perhaps that YI dome camera is worth it -- will check out prices. Would be good if it was bluetooth so that images could be sent to a hidden PC or laptop.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do actually provide "security" in the fact that exterior areas can be checked before leaving the house. 

We installed a system at our place and one at my sister in laws. The ladies find it very useful to check if anyone is around outside, either before leaving the house or when returning from being out. Can check on our TV, phones and laptop.

I think our system with 8 cameras was in the region of 30k.. Not cheap but included hard drive storage and UPS. Peace of mind is priceless but above comments are correct, it won't prevent a break in but it will deter the casual thief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Peace of mind is priceless

 

Yes I know some "little old ladies" who can't sleep if they think their electric fence is not working

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

 

Yes I know some "little old ladies" who can't sleep if they think their electric fence is not working

How do they check if their electric fence is working?

 

- Maybe touch the fence or grip the fence hoping for an all empowering  'zap' or 'jolt'?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep also the following in mind:
- surveillance camera's are increasing status...
- it means you have valuable things in your house (simply put: you are rich, and therefor worthwhile to rob)
- Are you living in a 'robbing' area?
- Do you really believe the police is going to catch a hooded thief from a vague picture at best?

Maybe it is better to invest that money in better locks and such...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am doing the setup now for myself.  If you want to DIY, can follow some/all of my steps.

 

I am in the process of ordering some HikVision original with upgradeable English firmware off a certain Ali wholesaler.  They are all PoE of course (Power over Ethernet).  I haven't tried Dahua, but they might be good too.


Then sourcing a TP-Link PoE switch to power them, and the Cat6 cable from Lazada.

I have my own crimper already for ends, otherwise you order that too, along with ends (RJ-45).

You will need keystone jacks, and a punchdown tool for them, to complete a proper setup.  I would also terminate them to a patch panel.
So you have a keystone jack inside a (weather proof) box near camera, then from that your standard ethernet cable to camera inside a small conduit (flexible?).

 

Run the Cat6 cable inside a conduit along your perimeter wall or under grass as is available and preferable to your setup.  Paint conduit same color as wall if visible, then will be hardly noticable.

 

To power it all, put switch and all your internet, router, etc.. on a decent UPS/power backup.

 

I love Linux, but for monitoring it all, get a small computer and put Win 10 on it.  As most good monitoring software uses that.  I like Sighthound as far as simple interface, but you can research others or some others may reply.

 

And as to your original idea of having each camera monitor, I personally am not in favor of that.  I prefer to have the computer do monitoring, and record on motion.

 

If anything else, can ask me.

 

Cheers and Good Luck!

Edited by matador007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, matador007 said:

I am doing the setup now for myself.  If you want to DIY, can follow some/all of my steps.

 

I am in the process of ordering some HikVision original with upgradeable English firmware off a certain Ali wholesaler.  They are all PoE of course (Power over Ethernet).  I haven't tried Dahua, but they might be good too.


Then sourcing a TP-Link PoE switch to power them, and the Cat6 cable from Lazada.

I have my own crimper already for ends, otherwise you order that too, along with ends (RJ-45).

You will need keystone jacks, and a punchdown tool for them, to complete a proper setup.  I would also terminate them to a patch panel.
So you have a keystone jack inside a (weather proof) box near camera, then from that your standard ethernet cable to camera inside a small conduit (flexible?).

 

Run the Cat6 cable inside a conduit along your perimeter wall or under grass as is available and preferable to your setup.  Paint conduit same color as wall if visible, then will be hardly noticable.

 

To power it all, put switch and all your internet, router, etc.. on a decent UPS/power backup.

 

I love Linux, but for monitoring it all, get a small computer and put Win 10 on it.  As most good monitoring software uses that.  I like Sighthound as far as simple interface, but you can research others or some others may reply.

 

And as to your original idea of having each camera monitor, I personally am not in favor of that.  I prefer to have the computer do monitoring, and record on motion.

 

If anything else, can ask me.

 

Cheers and Good Luck!

Is this going to be a totally offline.. .hardwire... to hard drive setup? 

Is WiFi involved?

Are three 3rd party dyndns type subscriptions involved? 

 

Just having a free to download app on a smartphone won'the be the be all and end of it... 

 

Just mentioning these angles,  as there's plenty of interest to smartphone users wanting to link cameras to viewers. ..

 

Edited by tifino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP should just keep his Winchester loaded, much more security than some cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you own your property, or is it rented?  If you own it, you can go for a hardwired set up.  If you are renting, I would go with a wireless set up.  A wireless system is easier when it comes time to move, and doesn't involve drill holes and running cables in someone else's property. 

 

Swann Security have a lot of DIY kits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...