Tomato Paste/puree In Thailand......

libya 115

I currently have two different brands of tomato paste/puree available for purchase at my local supermarket.

Mica: 170g: 19 Baht

Ayam Brand (also maker of the baked beans): 220g; 25 Baht

Both are pleasantly palpable with the Ayam being slightly sweeter and the Mica slightly more concentrated.

Which brand do you use here in the LOS and do you recommend getting a larger tin (which works out much cheaper): but does it refrigerate well and 'keep'?

I'd go with smaller tins an' use as needed...I've noticed that when an open tin is kept in the fridge the paste oxidises quickly (becomes black)...never have tried freezin' it...could scoop out the paste an' put inna container widda tight fitting lid in de fridge as Ms JG has suggested, usually just too lazy...

I'd go for the less sweet (Mica), but depends on your tastebuds. You can keep in a plastic container in the fridge for maybe a week or more, or freeze it. Got a recipe to share with the paste?

Yes, I am willing to share this delicious idea.

Take a normal sized mug and add one knorr pork stock cube. Then add one heaped tablespoon of Mica tomato paste.

Add boiling water and stir until both stock cube and tomato paste are fully dissolved.

This make the best 'cup-a-soup' this side of saturn.

Enjoy.

I'd go for the less sweet (Mica), but depends on your tastebuds. You can keep in a plastic container in the fridge for maybe a week or more, or freeze it. Got a recipe to share with the paste?

Yes, I am willing to share this delicious idea.

Take a normal sized mug and add one knorr pork stock cube. Then add one heaped tablespoon of Mica tomato paste.

Add boiling water and stir until both stock cube and tomato paste are fully dissolved.

This make the best 'cup-a-soup' this side of saturn.

Enjoy.

Aaaaah! Now I know why you don't use the whole tin. Sounds like a good pick me upper. Thanks!

I have read but not sure of how frying tomato paste is good, ideas?

Say you've just finished a baked chicken breast in a saute pan, now you have the juices, and fat in the bottom. Remove the breast, at that point you can add some tom paste, let it carmelize a bit, the sugars in the paste will start to cook out and brown a bit, then perhaps you want some mustard in that, add that and keep stirring, then a bit of white wine, or whatever, then thin with stock to desired consistency that will deglaze the pan and add all those great flavors that are on the pan into your sauce. By starting with the more solid ingredients then going towards the liquids you are building your sauce. Keep the flame fairly high, but watch and stir as you go as it can burn quick, by adding this way you can build and get the desired consistency you want and last of all add salt to taste.

LtLos

Say you've just finished a baked chicken breast in a saute pan, now you have the juices, and fat in the bottom. Remove the breast, at that point you can add some tom paste, let it carmelize a bit, the sugars in the paste will start to cook out and brown a bit, then perhaps you want some mustard in that, add that and keep stirring, then a bit of white wine, or whatever, then thin with stock to desired consistency that will deglaze the pan and add all those great flavors that are on the pan into your sauce. By starting with the more solid ingredients then going towards the liquids you are building your sauce. Keep the flame fairly high, but watch and stir as you go as it can burn quick, by adding this way you can build and get the desired consistency you want and last of all add salt to taste.

LtLos

hey...this sounds great...Mr LtLOS you sound like a professional saus-e-yay...could one do de same wid bacon fat, I wonder?...hate ta throw out dat nice fat but don't know whadda do widdit...

You can do a sauce starting with any fat, bacon renderings are quite nice, to start with. If you only have fat, cured bacon, pork, duck, etc, you can make a sauce by sauteing some onion and red capsicum in the fat, then sprinkle this with a tablespoon or two (start with one) of all purpose flour, mix the flour into the fat and veggies, till it just starts to brown...you now have a rouxe. Take some chicken stock and slowly start pouring this into the pan, mixing very quick and scraping the bottom, add a bit at a time to get a nice gravy, season to taste. No need for cubes or pouches.

Thanks for the compliment not a pro,, but just a person that likes to cook well at home, rather than spending a lot to get very mediocre western food here.

LtLos

Ya, Tutsi. LtLOS seems like a pro chef and has something here. Another recipe for Libya, too.

I remember my mom used to keep a big mug of bacon drippings in the fridge, but what did she use it for? Topic for Sunday's phone call.

I made Moor chicken tonight. Onions, pine nuts, raisins, spuds, and chuckie. Not too bad. Watched Gallipoli. Way too bad.

Try freezing the tomato puree in ice cube trays. A cube is often just the right amount to add to a recipe. You can use it straight from the freezer, it defrosts in the sauce. You can freeze leftover wine in the same way, a cube of that will liven up gravy for a roast, no end

Try freezing the tomato puree in ice cube trays. A cube is often just the right amount to add to a recipe. You can use it straight from the freezer, it defrosts in the sauce. You can freeze leftover wine in the same way, a cube of that will liven up gravy for a roast, no end

since the topic is abut tomatoes & tom/paste I have some thing to add you might like I get some small tomatoes slice them up small get some mozzorella cheese and slice it up small get some oregano and garlic salt peper (black) place in a large bowl add parmgine cheese and top it off with olive oil now I said olive oil not some garbage oil and get a loaf of french bread the long one you can find it in tesco bakery dept and just enjoy eating it now cold beer would go well with it but I can not drink alcohol I eat that about 3 times a week while my lady eats popiya salot LOL

good suggestion, NR...the local tescos only has Mica puree available in industrial sized cans an' ye only need a tablespoon or two fer most dishes...an' plastic ice cube trays are cheap an' handy sized fer de freezer...

Ms JG how can any woman not like Gallipoli???...I thought you were all mad fer de young Mr ozzie whaz-his-name...

Leftover wine? :o:D:D

Some great suggestions there.....Now I will opt for the industrial size Mica Tomato Paste and make ice cube portions.

In the U.K. they sell a sort of plastic bag ice cube bag which are great: must bring a load back next time.

dem liddle bubble pack type ice cube things are OK for free flowin' substances but would not be recommended for tomato paste...IMHO...best to use yer garden variety ice cube tray, dey got ones wid little patterns dat de kids use fer their frozen lollies... :o

Ms JG how can any woman not like Gallipoli???...I thought you were all mad fer de young Mr ozzie whaz-his-name...

I do not like to see people get hurt or killed, even in a movie. And Mel couldn't run fast enough to save his friend and it was a horribly sad ending. Just like Charge of the Light Brigade. All these lives lost for nothing.

LtLos

Very very good, congratulations!!!

Gerd

I do not like to see people get hurt or killed, even in a movie. And Mel couldn't run fast enough to save his friend and it was a horribly sad ending. Just like Charge of the Light Brigade. All these lives lost for nothing.

yeah...in reality, a real drag. There is a military cementary inna place called Kannakele near where the battle took place...sum UK workmates in Turkey went there for a visit...strangely enough they didn't invite their american associate, an' I saw de movie an' unnerstood the circumstances an' dey didn't...just another reason why I don't unnerstand the british...dey were a couple ob dumb, ignorant engineers so mebbe that explains sumpin'...

'into the valley of death rode the six hundred...'...tutsi was an english major in his liberal arts days...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...in reality, a real drag. There is a military cementary inna place called Kannakele near where the battle took place...sum UK workmates in Turkey went there for a visit...strangely enough they didn't invite their american associate, an' I saw de movie an' unnerstood the circumstances an' dey didn't...just another reason why I don't unnerstand the british...dey were a couple ob dumb, ignorant engineers so mebbe that explains sumpin'...

'into the valley of death rode the six hundred...'...tutsi was an english major in his liberal arts days...

I know. Beneath the exterior of illiterate degenerate that you like to project, there is "empirical" evidence that sneaks through your posts to indicate that it is not so.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

I know. Beneath the exterior of illiterate degenerate that you like to project, there is "empirical" evidence that sneaks through your posts to indicate that it is not so.

shit :o , me an' my big mouth...now my cover has been blown...

Even worse, it's been blown on a tomato paste thread. :D:D:D:D

Shame you missed Gallipoli Toots, it's mind numbing to see the beach at Anzac Cove and imagine those kids trying to climb those cliffs under heavy fire.

The closeness of the opposing trenches in places is staggering also.

Must say that as an Australian I found the visit particularly moving.

Even worse, it's been blown on a tomato paste thread. :D:D:D:D

a failed subterfuge?...John le Carre would love it... :bah:

Shame you missed Gallipoli Toots, it's mind numbing to see the beach at Anzac Cove and imagine those kids trying to climb those cliffs under heavy fire.

The closeness of the opposing trenches in places is staggering also.

Must say that as an Australian I found the visit particularly moving.

yeah, so I've been told...I regret not having gotten out more when I was in Turkey...mostly just hung around Istanbul when I had free time...a particularly distressing scene in the movie had turkish soldiers laughing as they slaughtered the exposed anzacs who were attempting to move forward...

Tutsi, know anything about Chosin Basin in the Korean War? It's why I revere Marines, and I was Air Force myself.

The more you find out about it, the more spectacular and sad it gets. The survivors are called the Chosin Few. I wish I could find the link to the military history pages I read on it, but here is a quick bit on it.

Tutsi, know anything about Chosin Basin in the Korean War? It's why I revere Marines, and I was Air Force myself.

The more you find out about it, the more spectacular and sad it gets. The survivors are called the Chosin Few. I wish I could find the link to the military history pages I read on it, but here is a quick bit on it.

impressive...I'm not one to endorse US foreign policy anywhere during the last 60 years but the heroism and valor of men in combat under hopeless conditions deserves respect...

"(then) sprinkle this with a tablespoon or two (start with one) of all purpose flour, mix the flour into the fat and veggies, till it just starts to brown...you now have a rouxe"

WADR to Kuhn LtLOS, what you have after the above is some lightly browned flour in the bottom of a pan but NOT a roux. A roux such as in Cajun cuisine can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending upon the desired use. Also it cannot be made in a pan with ingredients other than flour and oil.

A good description for roux can be found at the following URL:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/ingred.html

And re: Mr. Tutsi's knowledge of the Light Brigade, he probably heard Alfalfa recite it on the 'Little Rascals"

http://www.4alfalfa.com/Commentary/twotoo.html