Tomato Paste/puree In Thailand......

libya 115

"(then) sprinkle this with a tablespoon or two (start with one) of all purpose flour, mix the flour into the fat and veggies, till it just starts to brown...you now have a rouxe"

WADR to Kuhn LtLOS, what you have after the above is some lightly browned flour in the bottom of a pan but NOT a roux. A roux such as in Cajun cuisine can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending upon the desired use. Also it cannot be made in a pan with ingredients other than flour and oil.

A good description for roux can be found at the following URL:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/ingred.html

And re: Mr. Tutsi's knowledge of the Light Brigade, he probably heard Alfalfa recite it on the 'Little Rascals"

http://www.4alfalfa.com/Commentary/twotoo.html

Aunt Jemima, two solid smackaroonies to our chefs!

Careful, Jazzie, the food thread posters are pretty powerful. And, um, I know for a fact that Tutsi is a very educated and well-read gentleman. I'd take care slinging loose words about him! He also has many friends, including me. I pounce quickly to defend.

"He also has many friends, including me. I pounce quickly to defend."

Dear Kuhn Jet -- What is there to defend? I first heard the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' on Our Gang/Little Rascals when I was about 5 years old.

I saw the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" before I read T.E. Lawrence's "7 Pillars of Wisdom".

I saw "Doctor Zhivago" before I read Pasternak's book.

I saw John Huston's "Moby Dick" before I read Melville's novel.

And I saw Marlon Brando as Marc Antony and Stanley Kowalski before I read Shakespeare or Tennesee Williams.

... And I now carry an official US Government Certificate issued by the Library of Congress.

So what is the big deal especially for someone growing up in the USA? Relax.

There was a story many years ago in the Wall Street Journal about a young executive being groomed for a top corporate position. One of his final challenges was lunch in the corporate dining room. The waiter asked the young executive what would he like for lunch. The exec asked "What is the special today?" "Turbot." "Very good -- make mine RARE." He lost the position.

Hey, Jazzie, that's alot of reply!

All I meant was that your post appeared as a putdown to these members, that's all. As a scholar yourself, you know how words can be misconstrued if not knit and purled in a straight pattern.

I heard Shakespeare quotes in cartoons, but I would not want someone to equate my knowledge thereof to the cartoons rather than my studies.

Best,

Jet