Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 February 2019 08:17
Jaise1

Can I work legally?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have previously worked in other countries as a TEFL teacher legally. However Thailand requires a degree which I don’t have. I have seen on google (not always reliable) that international schools/private schools can get around this “no degree” and still hire you legally.... after contacting an international school in Thailand they have confirmed that they can do this. First thing is I wouldn’t work without my documents in order anyway but I just don’t want to get my hopes up or be committed to something which may just be a lie. So, does anyone have any information on this whether it’s true or not ? Anyone had experience or know people who have achieved this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t — by any law — need a degree to work. It is entirely up to the employer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don’t — by any law — need a degree to work. It is entirely up to the employer. 

But when I looked on requirements for a teaching visa (non imm b) it says a degree is required? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To teach in a government school, you’ll need a degree and transcripts in order to obtain a work permit and relevant visa. The Labour Office as well as immigration seem to be sticklers for bits of paper.

Edited by lemonjelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

To teach in a government school, you’ll need a degree and transcripts in order to obtain a work permit and relevant visa. The Labour Office as well as immigration seem to be sticklers for bits of paper.

Yeah a government school actually got back in touch & said it’s possible if a fake degree is given. Of course, never would do that... but my question is based at international schools? They’ve said they can because they’re privately owned and they’ve done it in the past legally. Like I said I wouldn’t engage in any work without having the right visa or documents anyway but I’m just not sure whether I should put my time into it for it to fall back on me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be nice to know for the parents who pay big money for that international school that they are willing to employ people without a degree.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

but my question is based at international schools?

Your grammar is too flakey for you to teach at an international school.... lolz

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

International Schools don't normally hire TEFL teachers who are already in Thailand, they tend to recruit suitably qualified teachers for specific subjects. Without a degree, you will be able to find Language Schools and corporate work although it won't be straightforward getting a work permit, unless the school has ways to do this!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Your grammar is too flakey for you to teach at an international school.... lolz

That was just fast typing and doing it whilst doing something else. I didn’t check what I had written. Plus I don’t write/ talk correctly outside of school anyway, who does?  Anyway, I’m not here to be judged on my teaching/grammar... I’ve had 4+ years experience and never had a student fail their Cambridge exam. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Must be nice to know for the parents who pay big money for that international school that they are willing to employ people without a degree.

I’m in my last year of my degree, fair enough I haven’t finished yet but I don’t think a degree defines you or your skills. Many schools in Thailand hire with a degree that is totally unrelated to education/ English language. What I do have is 120 TEFL and 4 years experience of students passing and excelling, I think that’s all that counts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jaise1 said:

That was just fast typing and doing it whilst doing something else. I didn’t check what I had written. Plus I don’t write/ talk correctly outside of school anyway, who does?  Anyway, I’m not here to be judged on my teaching/grammar... I’ve had 4+ years experience and never had a student fail their Cambridge exam. 🙂 

Fair dinkums, just one of my anal moments.... sorry bout that.... good luck with everything anyway 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

That was just fast typing and doing it whilst doing something else. I didn’t check what I had written. Plus I don’t write/ talk correctly outside of school anyway, who does?  Anyway, I’m not here to be judged on my teaching/grammar... I’ve had 4+ years experience and never had a student fail their Cambridge exam. 🙂 

Relax petal. Your op is about your experience and mention TEFL. Then later "never had student fail their Cambridge exam. Where did that claim come from while still completing your current degree. Teaching in Vietnam requires almost zip. Most bums I run into there have few beers on way to class. However they did 2 week course. Now teachers.

At least you sound to posess genuine desire to teach here. This topic will be moved to teaching forum. Hold back on calling yourself a teacher. Its 4 years in Australia. So chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

I’m in my last year of my degree, fair enough I haven’t finished yet but I don’t think a degree defines you or your skills. Many schools in Thailand hire with a degree that is totally unrelated to education/ English language. What I do have is 120 TEFL and 4 years experience of students passing and excelling, I think that’s all that counts. 

A degree defines a minimum of skills, experience is very important. I do agree that one should have a degree in what they are teaching.

Edited by FritsSikkink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Relax petal. Your op is about your experience and mention TEFL. Then later "never had student fail their Cambridge exam. Where did that claim come from while still completing your current degree. Teaching in Vietnam requires almost zip. Most bums I run into there have few beers on way to class. However they did 2 week course. Now teachers.

At least you sound to posess genuine desire to teach here. This topic will be moved to teaching forum. Hold back on calling yourself a teacher. Its 4 years in Australia. So chill.

I previously worked in a school and prepared children for Cambridge exams, went with my students to pick up their results etc... as I said I’ve had 4+ years experience in teaching. So I’m not sure what you mean by “where did that come from” ..

 

edit - I just realised maybe you don’t realise “Cambridge English exams” .... some schools follow this curriculum which result in taking the exams if their English is up to speed. I’m not referring to uni exams. 

 

never called myself a teacher but yes I’m looking for a job not a holiday. I’ve worked in multiple countries without needing a degree. 

Edited by Jaise1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A degree defines a minimum of skills, experience is very important. I do agree that one should have a degree in what they are teaching.

I’m quite aware that if I was teaching in certain schools I’d have no chance until my degrees finished and I’ve graduated. I’ve worked in European schools though legally without. I’m not taking advantage of Thailand but as far as I have seen online they’re willing to hire anyone with any degree - just because it’s a degree. If I have a teaching degree I can’t become a nurse for example, so I don’t think they’re actually looking out for the students best interest.  But anyway this has drifted from my original post/question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...