Can I work legally?

Jaise1

Hi, I have previously worked in other countries as a TEFL teacher legally. However Thailand requires a degree which I don’t have. I have seen on google (not always reliable) that international schools/private schools can get around this “no degree” and still hire you legally.... after contacting an international school in Thailand they have confirmed that they can do this. First thing is I wouldn’t work without my documents in order anyway but I just don’t want to get my hopes up or be committed to something which may just be a lie. So, does anyone have any information on this whether it’s true or not ? Anyone had experience or know people who have achieved this? 

1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

To teach in a government school, you’ll need a degree and transcripts in order to obtain a work permit and relevant visa. The Labour Office as well as immigration seem to be sticklers for bits of paper.

Yeah a government school actually got back in touch & said it’s possible if a fake degree is given. Of course, never would do that... but my question is based at international schools? They’ve said they can because they’re privately owned and they’ve done it in the past legally. Like I said I wouldn’t engage in any work without having the right visa or documents anyway but I’m just not sure whether I should put my time into it for it to fall back on me

International Schools don't normally hire TEFL teachers who are already in Thailand, they tend to recruit suitably qualified teachers for specific subjects. Without a degree, you will be able to find Language Schools and corporate work although it won't be straightforward getting a work permit, unless the school has ways to do this!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Your grammar is too flakey for you to teach at an international school.... lolz

That was just fast typing and doing it whilst doing something else. I didn’t check what I had written. Plus I don’t write/ talk correctly outside of school anyway, who does?  Anyway, I’m not here to be judged on my teaching/grammar... I’ve had 4+ years experience and never had a student fail their Cambridge exam. ???? 

27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Must be nice to know for the parents who pay big money for that international school that they are willing to employ people without a degree.

I’m in my last year of my degree, fair enough I haven’t finished yet but I don’t think a degree defines you or your skills. Many schools in Thailand hire with a degree that is totally unrelated to education/ English language. What I do have is 120 TEFL and 4 years experience of students passing and excelling, I think that’s all that counts. 

1 minute ago, Jaise1 said:

That was just fast typing and doing it whilst doing something else. I didn’t check what I had written. Plus I don’t write/ talk correctly outside of school anyway, who does?  Anyway, I’m not here to be judged on my teaching/grammar... I’ve had 4+ years experience and never had a student fail their Cambridge exam. ???? 

Fair dinkums, just one of my anal moments.... sorry bout that.... good luck with everything anyway 

30 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

Relax petal. Your op is about your experience and mention TEFL. Then later "never had student fail their Cambridge exam. Where did that claim come from while still completing your current degree. Teaching in Vietnam requires almost zip. Most bums I run into there have few beers on way to class. However they did 2 week course. Now teachers.

At least you sound to posess genuine desire to teach here. This topic will be moved to teaching forum. Hold back on calling yourself a teacher. Its 4 years in Australia. So chill.

53 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

I’m in my last year of my degree, fair enough I haven’t finished yet but I don’t think a degree defines you or your skills. Many schools in Thailand hire with a degree that is totally unrelated to education/ English language. What I do have is 120 TEFL and 4 years experience of students passing and excelling, I think that’s all that counts. 

A degree defines a minimum of skills, experience is very important. I do agree that one should have a degree in what they are teaching.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Relax petal. Your op is about your experience and mention TEFL. Then later "never had student fail their Cambridge exam. Where did that claim come from while still completing your current degree. Teaching in Vietnam requires almost zip. Most bums I run into there have few beers on way to class. However they did 2 week course. Now teachers.

At least you sound to posess genuine desire to teach here. This topic will be moved to teaching forum. Hold back on calling yourself a teacher. Its 4 years in Australia. So chill.

I previously worked in a school and prepared children for Cambridge exams, went with my students to pick up their results etc... as I said I’ve had 4+ years experience in teaching. So I’m not sure what you mean by “where did that come from” ..

edit - I just realised maybe you don’t realise “Cambridge English exams” .... some schools follow this curriculum which result in taking the exams if their English is up to speed. I’m not referring to uni exams. 

never called myself a teacher but yes I’m looking for a job not a holiday. I’ve worked in multiple countries without needing a degree. 

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A degree defines a minimum of skills, experience is very important. I do agree that one should have a degree in what they are teaching.

I’m quite aware that if I was teaching in certain schools I’d have no chance until my degrees finished and I’ve graduated. I’ve worked in European schools though legally without. I’m not taking advantage of Thailand but as far as I have seen online they’re willing to hire anyone with any degree - just because it’s a degree. If I have a teaching degree I can’t become a nurse for example, so I don’t think they’re actually looking out for the students best interest.  But anyway this has drifted from my original post/question. 

9 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

I’m quite aware that if I was teaching in certain schools I’d have no chance until my degrees finished and I’ve graduated. I’ve worked in European schools though legally without. I’m not taking advantage of Thailand but as far as I have seen online they’re willing to hire anyone with any degree - just because it’s a degree. If I have a teaching degree I can’t become a nurse for example, so I don’t think they’re actually looking out for the students best interest.  But anyway this has drifted from my original post/question. 

As you will find if you read all the threads in "teaching English Thailand"... different forum. Thai same as many other Asian countries place high emphasise on ..Native English speaking. Young. More white the better. Zero tatts. Qualifications somewhere on list. Thai now seem to demand a degree in gov schools.

You sound young (could be opposite) but you can easily teach places like Vietnam, until your degree arrives. You can teach in los without degree. Surely you have read the zillion threads about this this in Thaivisa " teaching forum"

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As you will find if you read all the threads in "teaching English Thailand"... different forum. Thai same as many other Asian countries place high emphasise on ..Native English speaking. Young. More white the better. Zero tatts. Qualifications somewhere on list. Thai now seem to demand a degree in gov schools.

You sound young (could be opposite) but you can easily teach places like Vietnam, until your degree arrives. You can teach in los without degree. Surely you have read the zillion threads about this this in Thaivisa " teaching forum"

No I haven’t haha sorry, I am young - 22. My post was supposed to be about the visa aspect and the requirements not the morality of it ???? but anyway, I will have a look. 

4 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

No I haven’t haha sorry, I am young - 22. My post was supposed to be about the visa aspect and the requirements not the morality of it ???? but anyway, I will have a look. 

Whatever...in this post you state age 22. In another you state 4+ years experience. So what's your real story...

I wasted enough on this. Read teaching forum. In education we call it basic research.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
10 minutes ago, Jaise1 said:

Whatever...in this post you state age 22. In another you state 4+ years experience. So what's your real story...

I wasted enough on this. Read teaching forum. In education we call it basic research.

He doesn't have a Degree... he started working at 18 yrs old..  Its called basic Maths !!!... Hope you're not a real Dr. !!!

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He doesn't have a Degree... he started working at 18 yrs old..  Its called basic Maths !!!... Hope you're not a real Dr. !!!

He implied he has teaching experience in English. Also in my privious post i recognized he was still in process of obtaining his degree. That is far from basic math. BTW, thinking your meaning arithmetic. Perhaps your USA. Anyway...the op wanted advice on teaching in Thailand. Answer yes its possible but without a degree, far easier in places like Vietnam. 

So, what's your positive contribution?

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He implied he has teaching experience in English. Also in my privious post i recognized he was still in process of obtaining his degree. That is far from basic math. BTW, thinking your meaning arithmetic. Perhaps your USA. Anyway...the op wanted advice on teaching in Thailand. Answer yes its possible but without a degree, far easier in places like Vietnam. 

So, what's your positive contribution?

My contribution in this case was to keep the Dr's like yourself honest.... you're not really a Dr. are you ??.. OK, I know the answer to that...  My useless, off topic and unhelpful contribution was to some extent an attempt to defend the Op in a 'like for like manner' from what I saw as a potential but flawed attack when you implied dishonesty in requesting his 'real story'....

BTW: Maths is English, the American equivalent of Math....   Additionally, as we're on an English Teaching thread..... Your vs You're....  I'm sure you know the difference, but just incase... its the difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t.... 

On topic and a contribution to the subject: 

Op: It is my understanding that you would require Degree Certification if you are to be employed as a Work Permitted Teacher here in Thailand. 

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Is it hard to work out that I started teaching English as a second language  when I was 18? 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Umm, let me think. Yes. 

Where abouts? North UK jordy.

I started working legally for a private academy In southern Spain ???? legally. At 18. Paid my taxes, had the equivalent to a national insurance etc. No problem. Only started university when I was 20. 

Intresting

5 hours ago, Jaise1 said:

started working legally for a private academy In southern Spain ???? legally. At 18

Interesting , and you are not a native English speaker? Very impressive. Good luck with your job hunt. 

Archived