Royal Thai Embassy London Electronic application only from 1st April 2019

Did they actually check their own website before going live?  (Visit the individual pages to see if they showed ok.)

The tourist visa info page:

Snag_4396fffe.png.ebe34a9e4f79f32dfcb2b8fdccafa246.png

The Non-Immigrant O info page:

Snag_43971403.png.f80cd98c41bfa5c94329988ae1212901.png

????‍♂️

q:  will each embassy be managing their own eVisa applications, or will the system be centralized?

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Haha 1

The system is not yet functional until April when the centralised system to Thai immigration is complete. Hence Kuala Lumpar only moving part way over on the 1st February. 
If you go too the tuition link, it shows how the system will operate. The plan is too have all Thai Embassy's worldwide on the system by the end of 2020

Edited by Lovethailandelite

Did I misunderstand the video? It seems to say we have to print off the forms and then make an appointment for an interview, then go back again when the visa is ready. So what's the 'E' bit in e-visa - just making the appointment online? If I've read it correctly, it's worse than the old postal system. I live in a village in the west country of England - which may as well be somewhere left of Mars as far as public transport is concerned. It's a day's travel to the centre of London each time, and some folk will have it even worse.

Great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickBlaine said:

Did I misunderstand the video? It seems to say we have to print off the forms and then make an appointment for an interview, then go back again when the visa is ready. So what's the 'E' bit in e-visa - just making the appointment online? If I've read it correctly, it's worse than the old postal system. I live in a village in the west country of England - which may as well be somewhere left of Mars as far as public transport is concerned. It's a day's travel to the centre of London each time, and some folk will have it even worse.

Great.

Hopefully, the Thai consulate in Cardiff will remain open to you as an option for tourist visas.

2 hours ago, RickBlaine said:

Great.

I thought they were asking for the documents to be scanned and attached as, say, PDFs

I share your concerns of perhaps having to travel to London to get the Visa, We would have to fly down from Edinburgh...would need the passport back to return ????

• Haha 1

This is NOT a true eVisa!

I've just watched the video (with all its included spelling errors!) and it certainly looks as if you HAVE to travel to the Embassy or Consulate. No postal option is mentioned. I don't live far from London but I have no wish to travel in just to show them my PP and get a stamp when for years I've been posting it and getting it back within 4 days!

And how crowded is that London Consulate office going to be with all former postal applicants being forced to make an appointment and visit?

Why the <think of a really rude expletive!!!> can't they simply copy the Cambodian system which is so simple! :angry:  

Having just got a SETV for my upcoming trip (whew!), in my case this won't become an issue for a while  - hopefully by December there might be some more options.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

I've just watched the video (with all its included spelling errors!) and it certainly looks as if you HAVE to travel to the Embassy or Consulate. No postal option is mentioned. I don't live far from London but I have no wish to travel in just to show them my PP and get a stamp when for years I've been posting it and getting it back within 4 days!

And how crowded is that London Consulate office going to be with all former postal applicants being forced to make an appointment and visit?

Why the <think of a really rude expletive!!!> can't they simply copy the Cambodian system which is so simple! :angry:  

Having just got a SETV for my upcoming trip (whew!), in my case this won't become an issue for a while  - hopefully by December there might be some more options.

It will not be crowded at all. It, like all Thai Embassy's around the world by the end of 2020, will have timed appointments. You will not be able to enter before your appointment time along with it being highly unlikely to be able to enter along with your application being cancelled, if you are late.

53 minutes ago, johnwf1963 said:

I thought they were asking for the documents to be scanned and attached as, say, PDFs

I share your concerns of perhaps having to travel to London to get the Visa, We would have to fly down from Edinburgh...would need the passport back to return ????

You create an account. You fill in the online application, attach your documents and pay the visa fee. Send the file and attachment. You then wait for a confirmation email that you have either been granted the visa or denied. If the visa is granted, you proceed back too the Gateway, log in and decide which Embassy or consulate you wish to attend. It can be anywhere in the world outside of Thailand that is included in the online programme. It doesn't have to be London. Choose a day, date and time then proceed too that Embassy or Consulate with the same hard copy of paperwork, passport etc you scanned and sent with your application. You give the exact same hard documents too that Embassy/consulate and they attach the visa in to your passport.
There will be a postal option BUT you will still need to file the ORIGINAL application electronically and attach your documents. Once you have received the email stating your application has been successful, then and only then, will you be able to post your passport and supporting documents too the London Embassy. You cannot simply do a postal application without the online filing as the visa approval needs to clear electronically through the Bangkok based database.
The plan is for no Thai Embassy anywhere in the world to be able to accept walk in applications or manual issuing of visas by the end of 2020.

48 minutes ago, VBF said:

As for the spelling errors, maybe the software should of been created in Thai to make it really difficult for you too read or maybe German, Russian, French etc? It isn't a London based system. It is based in Bangkok and the whole world will need to access it. I would guess a few spelling errors is the least of your concerns.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You create an account. You fill in the online application, attach your documents and pay the visa fee. Send the file and attachment. You then wait for a confirmation email that you have either been granted the visa or denied. If the visa is granted, you proceed back too the Gateway, log in and decide which Embassy or consulate you wish to attend. 

Hi,

the video will not play on my bush connection - does this include all types of visa do you see? i.e. applying for an OA from Thiland and then going to pick it up when in UK or going to, say, malaysia to gte it stamped into the passort.

Aplogies for asking but I cannot see the video here.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Hi,

the video will not play on my bush connection - does this include all types of visa do you see? i.e. applying for an OA from Thiland and then going to pick it up when in UK or going to, say, malaysia to gte it stamped into the passort.

It's painfully slow here in UK.... It appears that it's for all visas but apart from UK I didn't pay much attention to which nationalities are allowed to use it.

It refers to "Visa applicants from certain countries" but it does say you can apply "from any country, anywhere, any time" 

It also refers to "selected Thai Missions"

You might find it easier to download the video and watch it later

Go to https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4 as mentioned above

When it tries to start, as long as at least some of it plays, right-click on the screen and "Save video as" thus:

Capture.jpg.297ce50258b36d9b4af1de68d7689615.jpg

It's a 104 mb download, so maybe just leave it overnight and play at your leisure

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Hi,

Yes it is for all visa's. And your correct, as long as the Embassy is linked into the system as all of them will eventually be, you will have the option to pick a Thai embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand, to take your passport and supporting documents and have the visa affixed in to your passport. 

Edited by Lovethailandelite

20 minutes ago, VBF said:

It's painfully slow here in UK.... It appears that it's for all visas but apart from UK I didn't pay much attention to which nationalities are allowed to use it.

It refers to "Visa applicants from certain countries" but it does say you can apply "from any country, anywhere, any time" 

It also refers to "selected Thai Missions"

You might find it easier to download the video and watch it later

Go to https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4 as mentioned above

When it tries to start, as long as at least some of it plays, right-click on the screen and "Save video as" thus:

Capture.jpg.297ce50258b36d9b4af1de68d7689615.jpg

It's a 104 mb download, so maybe just leave it overnight and play at your leisure

It is for UK and Irish citizens until other country's Embassy's come online and give notice to use the system. The certain citizens and certain country's is referring to other country's citizens whose Embassy's will eventually be included in the system. If you notice the link, it is Thai based and not UK. And yes, from 1st of April you can apply from anywhere in the world and collect the visa from anywhere in the world that is linked in to and using the databased system.
The video is playing fine for me here in Thailand so I guess it must be a slow connection your end?

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It is for UK and Irish citizens until other country's Embassy's come online and give notice to use the system. The certain citizens and certain country's is referring to other country's citizens whose Embassy's will eventually be included in the system. If you notice the link, it is Thai based and not UK. And yes, from 1st of April you can apply from anywhere in the world and collect the visa from anywhere in the world that is linked in to and using the databased system.
The video is playing fine for me here in Thailand so I guess it must be a slow connection your end?

Thanks.... that clears up a lot. ????

Although they'll probably change it 6 times in as many months!

The connection my end is very quick (I just downloaded a 3gb video in half the time this 104mb video took!) It's the connection between Thailand and UK that's the bottleneck - when I'm in Thailand, TV is much faster than when I'm in UK - only to be expected, really.

14 minutes ago, VBF said:

Thanks.... that clears up a lot. ????

Although they'll probably change it 6 times in as many months!

The connection my end is very quick (I just downloaded a 3gb video in half the time this 104mb video took!) It's the connection between Thailand and UK that's the bottleneck - when I'm in Thailand, TV is much faster than when I'm in UK - only to be expected, really.

Your welcome. I doubt there will be any change other than tweaks too the software. It has taken around 18 months to get this right with the guidance of the UK, France, the US and Germany. Plus getting to the stage of the MFA and Immigration working together for information sharing.

9 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Your welcome. I doubt there will be any change other than tweaks too the software. It has taken around 18 months to get this right with the guidance of the UK, France, the US and Germany. Plus getting to the stage of the MFA and Immigration working together for information sharing.

Well one change I hope they make is to allow it to be a proper eVisa like Cambodia, as i said above. Then I could apply for my visa from home and not have to go to London.

Up to now, I've been able to apply, walk to my local Post Office and then await my passport's return. If/when this system is the only way to apply, I shall have to waste a day going to the Embassy. 

Edited by VBF

Just now, VBF said:

Well one change I hope they make is to allow it to be a proper eVisa as i said above. Then I could apply for my visa from home and not have to go to London.

Up to now, I've been able to apply, walk to my local Post Office and then await my passport's return. If/when this system is the only way to apply, I shall have to waste a day going to the Embassy. 

I think E visas are a long way off, if ever. If you go back further in the thread, you will see I posted that you can indeed still use the postal service. You will simply have to do the initial application online, get the approval then post your passport and documents. You just cannot do the initial application stage by post.

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I think E visas are a long way off, if ever. If you go back further in the thread, you will see I posted that you can indeed still use the postal service. You will simply have to do the initial application online, get the approval then post your passport and documents. You just cannot do the initial application stage by post.

Well in post #13 you do indeed say "There will be a postal option" but from where did you glean that?

I've watched the video and looked at the London Embassy site and the only references to postal applications I see are those under the present system where the whole process is done by post.  Do please point it out to me.

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well in post #13 you do indeed say "There will be a postal option" but from where did you glean that?

I've watched the video and looked at the London Embassy site and the only references to postal applications I see are those under the present system where the whole process is done by post.  Do please point it out to me.

Please just accept what I am explaining to you that there WILL 100% be a postal option after the initial application. You can always email the Royal Thai Embassy, London to clarify what I am telling you if you feel the need.
Would you expect people to be travelling from Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands for instance in order to submit documents? There is a postal option after the initial application and approval.

8 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Please just accept what I am explaining to you that there WILL 100% be a postal option after the initial application. You can always email the Royal Thai Embassy, London to clarify what I am telling you if you feel the need.
Would you expect people to be travelling from Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands for instance in order to submit documents? There is a postal option after the initial application and approval.

With respect, unless you have some inside information from the Thai Government, then I accept what you say as being logical but if you cannot point it out to me either in the video or on the website, then I don't accept that it is fact.

We know that Thai rules are frequently illogical (by our standards) so I'm going to remain sceptical and hopeful.

I'm hoping that they've merely omitted to mention the postal option at this stage.

As I mentioned earlier, this won't affect me personally until the end of 2019 so hopefully there will be some more clarity "soon" :ermm:

Edited by VBF

Just now, VBF said:

With respect, unless you have some inside information from the Thai Government, then I accept what you say as being logical but if you cannot point it out to me either in the video or on the website, then I don't accept that it is fact 

We know that Thai rules are frequently illogical (by our standards) so I'm going to remain sceptical and hopeful.

I'm hoping that they've merely omitted to mention the postal option at this stage.

As I mentioned earlier, this won't affect me personally until the end of 2019 so hopefully there will be some more clarity "soon" :ermm:

No problem. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

As for the spelling errors, maybe the software should of been created in Thai to make it really difficult for you too read or maybe German, Russian, French etc? It isn't a London based system. It is based in Bangkok and the whole world will need to access it. I would guess a few spelling errors is the least of your concerns.

Ridiculous. Since even Cambodia and Vietnam can do it properly, why do you hold Thailand to such a low standard? You don't actually do them a favor by defending indefensible ineptitude.

The whole process, taken at face value as described by you, also looks like no real brain power whatsoever has been expended to cook it up. It's a bloated mess and certainly not an "eVisa" by any sane standard.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

That website appears to be a minor Hawaii-based news site, and with the best will in the world, is unlikely to have more accurate information than Thai-based ones - including ThaiVisa and some of the posters who really know what's going on....sadly, not I!

EG it says partly incorrectly:

"At the moment, citizens of the UK, France, and the UAE can enter Thailand for periods of up to 30 days visa-free and Chinese travelers can enter for up to 15 days with a visa on arrival. The new Thailand eVisa will allow these four nationalities to stay for periods of longer than 30 days."

Well as we know, UK and French PP holders can already get SETV or METV to give periods of 60 days in Thailand.  (I don't know about the UAE simply because it's never concerned me)

As I said in #26 above, only believe what is on the official Embassy website(s) and / or confirmed by the knowledgeable people here.

Edited by VBF