Driving slowly in high-speed lane to soon become a punishable offence

snoop1130

10 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I have been in one accident in my entire life. One accident in 40 years of driving.

The reason... some <deleted> was coming up behind me at about 110mph, I got over out of the fast lane. It was raining and the guy in the slow lane was a putt putt vehicle that was crawling. I am fully bearing responsibility for my own accident, but here i am just proclaiming the problem is people going to fast in the fast lane and expecting every damn driver in the world to roll out the red carpet and get out of their way (after flickering their brights).

Nothing makes me mash my teeth more. If you are heavily speeding in the fast lane and want people to get out of your way, <deleted> you. You are not in the right! 

Do did you hit the slow vehicle while changing lanes (your fault) or did the fast car hit you in the rear (his fault)? Not clear what happened. If overtaking slower traffic it is your responsibility to move over left again when safe to do so, not before. Maniacs on the rear view mirror can fluster inexperienced drivers into panicking, but I know you're not inexperienced, so I don't suppose that was the problem. Cheers. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Except where you're required to drive slowly in the right lane, that is, when approaching a U-turn lane. I have to use them every time I drive in Chiang Mai. They often backup into the through (fast) lane, and I always wonder if this is the time I get rear-ended. Then there are the privileged drivers who are too good to line up for the U-turn lane, who go to the front and block the fast lane, further increasing the risk of rear-end collisions. What a system!

I agree, the U-turns along the second ring road are nothing but bloody dangerous.  

This would be a funny article, if it were not for the sad fact, that in order for this law to be enforced, it would require the highway patrol, to do actual law enforcement work, which they have been refusing to do for decades now. It would require them to pull over a vehicle for committing a traffic violation! When is the last time you have seen that happen?

The trucks hogging the fast lane, and slowing down traffic on a major highway, to 50kph, is a real problem. It is dangerous, it is a huge nuisance, it chokes the highways, and it is unnecessary. If they simply waited until traffic was clear, before making their move, it could be avoided. But, that would require concern, vision, and driving skills. Whoops. 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think your experience and common sense will prevent Somchai on yaba, running a red light in his 10 wheeler and, cleaning you up in the process...

You can do the best you can but at the end of the day, your fate might be in the hands of some untrained, uncaring local !!

I remember an experience at traffic lights.  When my friend moved off we were hit by a doped up idiot.

Oh and that happened in Canada.

That is not excusing the state of driving in Thailand.  

Out of about 50 countries I have experienced, Thailand is by far the worst.  The reason it rates so highly is not the actual driving but, in fact, it is the attitude of drivers AND the authorities. 

Basically nobody has the courage to introduce laws and penalties that will actually influence the drivers.

11 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Nothing makes me mash my teeth more. If you are heavily speeding in the fast lane and want people to get out of your way, <deleted> you. You are not in the right! 

Yes, I am. I'm in the right lane ain't I?

Now, getoutamyway!

I have been in one accident in my entire life. One accident in 40 years of driving.

The reason... some <deleted> was coming up behind me at about 110mph, I got over out of the fast lane. It was raining and the guy in the slow lane was a putt putt vehicle that was crawling. I am fully bearing responsibility for my own accident, but here i am just proclaiming the problem is people going to fast in the fast lane and expecting every damn driver in the world to roll out the red carpet and get out of their way (after flickering their brights).

Maybe the answer is to have a minimum/maximum speed limit for each lane?

sorry, but do you really mean that you still do not know how wrong you are ?!

you have nothing to do in the fast lane when a car going faster than you is coming !

I would push you out of the road with my Benz.

7 hours ago, wvavin said:

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When on the highway / express way the left most lane is the driving lane... and other lane is an over taking lane.... 

Nonsense.  Any traffic safety engineer will tell you that faster traffic should stay to the right and slower to the left.  If everybody drives to the left, there will be constant overtaking and passing.  It is the lane changes that are the most hazardous.

Okay, good idea. Now, as well as telling drivers not to drive slowly in the fast lane do they also plan to have police patrols so that they can actually spot the offenders? No, I thought not. Just more totally meaningless hot air. What an amazing country this is, making countless rules that everyone knows are unenforceable and so which everyone ignores. The problem is that when people get into the habit of ignoring pointless laws they then ignore all laws.

Mash your teeth, I'd love to mash them for you if you are one of those idiots hogging the outside lane, which should be used for traffic overtaking, and the cause of the many loons weaving from lane to lane. You are a danger on the road. Stay home!

It is amazing to me that the government does nothing about mandatory LIGHTS ON FOR SAFETY while driving. Too worried about helmet checks. Why is it Thai people insist on driving with car running lights off during the day. No lights on during rain, and lucky if they turn them on at night. Every night I drive I see at least 20 motorbikes without lights at all driving from Nathon to Lamai. In the U.S. (no I am not very proud of the U.S. at the moment) every car when started running lights must come on automatically.  It is no wonder to me why so many people are killed on the road.

I'm not sure about Thai road rules, but I thought the outside lane was the "overtaking" lane, not the "fast" lane i.e. if you are not overtaking someone, then you are obliged to move over, otherwise you are in the wrong. However, such rules only work if the traffic volume does not dictate that there is simply no room to vacate that lane when not overtaking, and as we know in Thailand the rules are simply not enforced anyway, unless it's convenient and easy for the BIB for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:
12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He cited a section in the draft law that will ban drunk people from riding bicycles on public roads

typical thai, addressing the wrong things

Tell this to the foreign governments where this is a law for many years already

When and IF the RTP are proactive in stopping and fining drivers of Coaches, Buses and lorries  and Cars ( including Government ones and the Police because they are driving badly, at speed or possibly now in the right hand lane, then and only then will I believe that they mean what they say, until then it is just another way of extorting money from the public.

I obey the law but the sheer number of times I have seen it broken by the aforementioned vehicles beggars belief and what amazes me is that the offenders think they have the right to do what they do. 

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the answer is to have a minimum/maximum speed limit for each lane?

They already have that on some parts of Highway 7. I noticed it for the first time only last month on some new signage going on the overhead gantrys north of Laem Chabang. Lower limits on the left and higher on the right. Had me thinking how on earth does that work when there's no over-riding law on correct lane use. Maybe this new law, the subject of the OP, will make sense of these new signs?

But when the chief cop in charge of doing bugger all suggests they need something other than policemen doing their jobs to catch scofflaws, maybe not.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police representative Pol Maj-General Ekkalak Limsankart also called for new regulations to be issued that are clear and can prevent violators from evading justice. 

12 hours ago, survivalblue said:

Driving slowly in any lane is hazardous and likely to cause an accident.  All drivers should proceed more quickly to their destination to eliminate patience.

Police can stop any vehicle in the UK they deem "not to be making sufficient progress' as it is clearly an hazard to other vehicles. Restrictions apply on which vehicles can use which motorways etc. Tail boarding and inside overtaking are also not allowed. 

The difference is laws are enforced.

Oh, and driving the wrong way because its quicker than going to a junction, or the "optional" adherence to traffic lines will be severely punished.

Here, to be fair, there's a big problem with slow vehicles, drivers, hogging the outside lane on the two main roads where I live along with turning right out of side streets oblivious to on-coming main road traffic. A considerable amount of drivers here simply don't give a fig about anyone else, safety, or the rules.

The high speed lane? There is no "high speed lane"! It's called a "passing lane"! Most of the roads in Thailand are maximum 2 lanes, the right lane is used for "passing". Period. Of course to the locals it's the "overloaded under-braked pick-up lane". I guess as the pay 20-40 BAHT at every police check point along the way they figure they own it. 

The true nature of a person surfaces when behind a wheel. Thus the amount of ego driven merit making in hope the true selfish nature is personally forgiven. The hypocrisy in the land of, in their mainstream  ogrganized religion is an enigma and quite alarming.  

Its so refreshing when driving and experiencing curtious polite other driviers. However it’s the ones whom are seriously overcurtious that create the enigma of creating a hazard also. What is it about mindful awareness that is quite an enigma also in many drivers. 

13 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I’ve been in several, all in Thailand. All the fault of a local doing something stupid. 

Donkeys shouldnt drive. Period.

They don’t enforce any of the Many many laws on the books now so what the hell are they going to do when they add another offense. Just not enforce another law. Just a waste of time making the law trying to justify their existence. Thai traffic laws are just a big joke.

2 hours ago, jkcjag said:

I'm not sure about Thai road rules, but I thought the outside lane was the "overtaking" lane, not the "fast" lane i.e. if you are not overtaking someone, then you are obliged to move over, otherwise you are in the wrong. However, such rules only work if the traffic volume does not dictate that there is simply no room to vacate that lane when not overtaking, and as we know in Thailand the rules are simply not enforced anyway, unless it's convenient and easy for the BIB for whatever reason.

As you are "not sure" about Thai Road rules I assume you don't drive as you would be just as guilty as a Thai who didn't. 

Abridged. :- Sect. 34. If the road has 2 or more lanes in the same direction the driver shall keep to the left. EXCEPT. the road is prescribed as 1 way.

Section 44. No driver shall overtake on the left side UNLESS. the road has two or more lanes in the same direction. ie. On 1 way roads overtaking on both sides is legal!! 

A not perfect English translation is available to download on Thai Laws. com. 

Archived