BANGKOK 19 July 2019 17:20
snoop1130

Driving slowly in high-speed lane to soon become a punishable offence

10 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I have been in one accident in my entire life. One accident in 40 years of driving.

The reason... some <deleted> was coming up behind me at about 110mph, I got over out of the fast lane. It was raining and the guy in the slow lane was a putt putt vehicle that was crawling. I am fully bearing responsibility for my own accident, but here i am just proclaiming the problem is people going to fast in the fast lane and expecting every damn driver in the world to roll out the red carpet and get out of their way (after flickering their brights).

Nothing makes me mash my teeth more. If you are heavily speeding in the fast lane and want people to get out of your way, <deleted> you. You are not in the right! 

Do did you hit the slow vehicle while changing lanes (your fault) or did the fast car hit you in the rear (his fault)? Not clear what happened. If overtaking slower traffic it is your responsibility to move over left again when safe to do so, not before. Maniacs on the rear view mirror can fluster inexperienced drivers into panicking, but I know you're not inexperienced, so I don't suppose that was the problem. Cheers. 

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

typical thai, addressing the wrong things

Just what I was thinking , don't ride yer bicycle when drunk and put yourself at risk , get back on your Wave and put others at risk , I feel sure the fine is the same .

there should have been a law against this 30 or more years ago. It causes many accidents

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Except where you're required to drive slowly in the right lane, that is, when approaching a U-turn lane. I have to use them every time I drive in Chiang Mai. They often backup into the through (fast) lane, and I always wonder if this is the time I get rear-ended. Then there are the privileged drivers who are too good to line up for the U-turn lane, who go to the front and block the fast lane, further increasing the risk of rear-end collisions. What a system!

I agree, the U-turns along the second ring road are nothing but bloody dangerous.  

This would be a funny article, if it were not for the sad fact, that in order for this law to be enforced, it would require the highway patrol, to do actual law enforcement work, which they have been refusing to do for decades now. It would require them to pull over a vehicle for committing a traffic violation! When is the last time you have seen that happen?

The trucks hogging the fast lane, and slowing down traffic on a major highway, to 50kph, is a real problem. It is dangerous, it is a huge nuisance, it chokes the highways, and it is unnecessary. If they simply waited until traffic was clear, before making their move, it could be avoided. But, that would require concern, vision, and driving skills. Whoops. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think your experience and common sense will prevent Somchai on yaba, running a red light in his 10 wheeler and, cleaning you up in the process...

You can do the best you can but at the end of the day, your fate might be in the hands of some untrained, uncaring local !!

I remember an experience at traffic lights.  When my friend moved off we were hit by a doped up idiot.

Oh and that happened in Canada.

That is not excusing the state of driving in Thailand.  

Out of about 50 countries I have experienced, Thailand is by far the worst.  The reason it rates so highly is not the actual driving but, in fact, it is the attitude of drivers AND the authorities. 

Basically nobody has the courage to introduce laws and penalties that will actually influence the drivers.

11 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Nothing makes me mash my teeth more. If you are heavily speeding in the fast lane and want people to get out of your way, <deleted> you. You are not in the right! 

Yes, I am. I'm in the right lane ain't I?

Now, getoutamyway!

• Like 1

I have been in one accident in my entire life. One accident in 40 years of driving.

The reason... some <deleted> was coming up behind me at about 110mph, I got over out of the fast lane. It was raining and the guy in the slow lane was a putt putt vehicle that was crawling. I am fully bearing responsibility for my own accident, but here i am just proclaiming the problem is people going to fast in the fast lane and expecting every damn driver in the world to roll out the red carpet and get out of their way (after flickering their brights).

Maybe the answer is to have a minimum/maximum speed limit for each lane?

They can enact all the laws they want but without enforcement it is just words on paper. 

sorry, but do you really mean that you still do not know how wrong you are ?!

you have nothing to do in the fast lane when a car going faster than you is coming !

I would push you out of the road with my Benz.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I thought this was already a law but there was an exemption for any trucks with their loads wrapped in a blue and white striped tarpaulin!

7 hours ago, wvavin said:

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When on the highway / express way the left most lane is the driving lane... and other lane is an over taking lane.... 

Nonsense.  Any traffic safety engineer will tell you that faster traffic should stay to the right and slower to the left.  If everybody drives to the left, there will be constant overtaking and passing.  It is the lane changes that are the most hazardous.

Okay, good idea. Now, as well as telling drivers not to drive slowly in the fast lane do they also plan to have police patrols so that they can actually spot the offenders? No, I thought not. Just more totally meaningless hot air. What an amazing country this is, making countless rules that everyone knows are unenforceable and so which everyone ignores. The problem is that when people get into the habit of ignoring pointless laws they then ignore all laws.

If only, so many brain dead numpty's on the Thai roads. Every time I drive they are out en masse. Fine the bastards, but who's going to do that? BIB nowhere to be seen.

Mash your teeth, I'd love to mash them for you if you are one of those idiots hogging the outside lane, which should be used for traffic overtaking, and the cause of the many loons weaving from lane to lane. You are a danger on the road. Stay home!

• Like 1