Junta digs in its heels over March 24 as election date

webfact

By THE NATION

6fedc1500189302f2abd449168cb71b1.jpg

FILE photo

GROUP THREATENS TO TAKE TO STREETS IF ROYAL DECREE NOT PUBLISHED BY TODAY

THE GOVERNMENT is standing firm on March 24 as the perfect date for the nation to cast their votes, despite criticism over the repeated deferment of the national poll.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam yesterday reiterated that the government’s main priority is to avoid poll-related activities overlapping with the coronation in May.

He added that the other two dates proposed – March 10 or 17 – were not as convenient as March 24.

Wissanu explained that March 10 was a little too close, considering that the Royal Decree on the election has yet to be published, while March 17 will overlap with university entrance exams for hundreds of thousands of 12th graders, many of whom will become eligible voters.

“So, March 24 appears to be the most appropriate date,” he said. “Also the Royal Decree can be expected next week as stated by Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan.”

However, concerns over the election’s constitutionality remain prevalent as the government tries to postpone election by a whole month from the previously planned February 24.

The Constitution stipulates that the election should be completed within 150 days once electoral laws come into effect. Some political observers say the timeframe should include the endorsement of the poll results in addition to the voting itself.

Wissanu, however, insisted yesterday that the timeframe only covers the casting of ballots. He said the results can be announced within 60 days after the voting, independent of the 150-day period.

Though the final decision will remain in the hands of the Election Commission (EC), he added. If the agency is able to have everything completed within the 150-day timeframe without affecting the coronation, the government will accept it, Wissanu said.

Meanwhile, the pro-election movement continues calling on the government to be clear about organising an election and has set today as the deadline for the Royal Decree to be published. If the decree misses the deadline, people are expected to gather around Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Avenue to protest.

Wissanu, however, said the government did not feel any pressure from the threat.

Separately, the movement’s leader Sirawith Seritiwat told The Nation yesterday that protesters remained firm in their demand that the government publish the Royal Decree as soon as possible.

“Only when the Royal Decree is published can we be certain of an election taking place,” the activist said, referring to the Constitution’s stipulation that an election date must be announced within five days once the electoral Royal Decree is published.

Sirawith vowed to lead more protests until the government can provide clarity about an election by publishing the Royal Decree.

Though it would be best if the junta could keep its promise and hold an election on February 24, Sirawith said he was willing to accept a delay considering the coronation.

However, he believe March 10 would be a better date as it is not |too far from February 24 that was previously set.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30362470

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-18

Finally a decision, has to be made,

my own survey over the last 4 months asking 

all sorts of professional,  trade, hospitality, farmers and my own 

family of who they will vote for has been met with 

confusion and undecided, un-known representatives agenda,

an engineer asked me a return question

" where will my vote count"

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Though it would be best if the junta could keep its promise and hold an election on February 24, Sirawith said he was willing to accept a delay considering the coronation.

And there you have it, even the "protest" leaders will bow to more delays. Seems it's not only the Junta that is all talk and no action !!

It reminds me of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, where the Lilliputians argue and bicker over which is the better end of an egg - the bigger or smaller. Here it is: March 10 or March 24?

All blather, all theatre, all much ado about nothing - as the election result is already in and decided (by the faux-elite, who ain't going anywhere!).

Why is this so difficult? Yes my son is also in M12 and yes they have to appease all these kids as they are most of voting age and already are not enthused with the self placed powers that be. Their numbers are quite a lot who are graduating so is nothing to disregard 

Let's hope the protesters manage to make a real impression this time. The must be brave and strong, especially now that they've seen the junta's new anti-protest weapon. Why else did Prayuth have those massive red water-cannons made? Yes, those cannons that they pathetically tried to clear the dust-haze with. Maybe if they mulled a plan for regular street cleaning of this country's filthy capital city, they'd stand a chance.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

THE GOVERNMENT is standing firm on March 24

Oh . . . hold me up, someone, as Wissanu now tries his hand at stand-up comedy. I feel sorry for that poor scapegoat, trying to explain his mad-hatter of a boss's tantrums.

43 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wissanu said governments priority was to prevent poll related activity overlapping with the coronation?

Well you plonker, why move the election date nearer to the coronation?

Not sure it's the actual election, rather the release of the results that they expect disruption to stem from. typically when 5/4 of the population vote for the pro treason parties

56 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wissanu said governments priority was to prevent poll related activity overlapping with the coronation?

Well you plonker, why move the election date nearer to the coronation?

Our narcissistic general and megalomaniac-in-chief wants to time his sham election as close as possible to the coronation. This gives him the opportunity to hijack most the coronation, grab most of the attention, and make the whole thing…all…about him.

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Finally a decision, has to be made,

my own survey over the last 4 months asking 

all sorts of professional,  trade, hospitality, farmers and my own 

family of who they will vote for has been met with 

confusion and undecided, un-known representatives agenda,

an engineer asked me a return question

" where will my vote count"

download.jpg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The words of an honest and truthful leader.

During his visit to Japan in February 2015, General Prayut said: "We plan to hold elections in Thailand at the end of this year or early next."

By the end of 2015, the timeframe had slipped.

On the sidelines of a speech to the United Nations General Assembly, the Prime Minister assured then-UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon that the junta was committed to the democratic roadmap and would hold elections in 2017.

In January 2016, the message was the same.

"No matter whether the draft constitution passes the referendum or not, the Government will hold the election in 2017 according to our roadmap," General Prayuth told reporters.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-09/thailand-government-flips-on-donald-trump-election-statement/9032042

Hand on heart.jpg

If they do not keep up the pressure and threaten to "scare" the tourists, the military will just remain basking in lime light of unelected office, posturing and pontificating like well bread roosters, while the average Thai struggles.  Thais are normally non violent, and tourists like to see the struggle for democracy.  The ones I speak to do.

12 minutes ago, kamahele said:

I am quite confused as to how moving the date closer to the coronation makes it less likely that planning will interfere with the coronation activities. I would think the opposite.... But what do I know.

Really quite simple. Big P don't want to be upstaged by an elected PM presiding the coronation. Therefore the late election date is timed for an elected government after the event. The coronation planning is done by a committee and not by ministry. No interference; period. 

On 1/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, Chang_paarp said:

They had better be careful about protesting, the "government" will use it as an example of instability and use it as an excuse to further defer or cancel the elections.

I suspect you are right but it appears the public is becoming more and more agitated about being lied to and having their country stolen from them. It would not take much of an incident at one of these protest to light up a large group of people who have remained largely quiet that will also hit the streets. These things have a history of simmering until the suddenly explode and it may be getting close. The only question then will be how many people will the men with the guns kill before the public gets what they crave....their country back. Or how many people will die until another snake slithers out of their hole to overthrow the current snakes and promise everyone that they will finally lead the nation to peace and prosperity for all.

Archived