Punishment for a 1-3 day overstay?

I'm planning a 3 month trip this summer and just wondering if I got the flight dates wrong and my departure happened to be say, 2 days after my stamp expires, so a 2 day overstay before leaving thailand. What would be the punishment typically? Not playing on overstaying as I'm planning on booking carefully but I wanna be informed.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Typically, at the airport, you are taken to one side, regarded as an over-stayer, fined 2x500 baht, and get a stamp in your passport. Then off you go.

i'd be fine with paying 1k, but would it impact my future coming to thailand? like would they be putting anything on my passport like a blackmark? would i be interviewed the next time i come to thailand about my overstay?

2 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

i'd be fine with paying 1k, but would it impact my future coming to thailand? like would they be putting anything on my passport like a blackmark? would i be interviewed the next time i come to thailand about my overstay?

There is the stamp in the passport and likely in your record, but it should not affect future visits, unless you become a person seeking back to back entries on a regular basis and make an IO look upon you with suspicion.

People would worry more about being 'caught' in those couple of overstay days before getting to the airport, but that is unlikely.

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is the stamp in the passport and likely in your record, but it should not affect future visits, unless you become a person seeking back to back entries on a regular basis and make an IO look upon you with suspicion.

People would worry more about being 'caught' in those couple of overstay days before getting to the airport, but that is unlikely.

Well i do plan on making future visits and doing border runs until I finish university and can get a work permit to stay without border runs. If I did indeed overstay 1-2 days would it effect me?

It's always best to avoid overstaying, it should be no problem right now, but who can say what the future may bring?

Anyway, there are ways to extract a few more days from a visa, we don't know your exact dates and entry permit (tourist visa, visa exemption, something else), if you can post your exact planning someone can likely help.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oskar55 said:

If I did indeed overstay 1-2 days would it effect me?

If you're caught (not surrender), you will be taken to IDC. That's even worse. Why overstay? It just requires little planing, effort, and money to avoid overstaying. From 2011-2013 I stayed in Thailand with visa runs but never overstayed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oskar55 said:

'm planning a 3 month trip this summer and just wondering if I got the flight dates wrong and my departure happened to be say, 2 days after my stamp expires, so a 2 day overstay before leaving thailand.

After getting the 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from the visa you could apply for an extension, pay the 1900 fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied. No overstay if you do that.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting the 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from the visa you could apply for an extension, pay the 1900 fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied. No overstay if you do that.

wow thanks! so i'd go to immigration office where i'd extended it the first time. and does it matter when you go to try to get the 2nd extension?

36 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

wow thanks! so i'd go to immigration office where i'd extended it the first time. and does it matter when you go to try to get the 2nd extension?

Same office or the one where you staying at the time.

You would not a actually get a 2nd extension. It is 7 days granted to leave the country.

You could apply during the last few days of your stay.

9 hours ago, oskar55 said:

Well i do plan on making future visits and doing border runs until I finish university and can get a work permit to stay without border runs. If I did indeed overstay 1-2 days would it effect me?

Just don't do it.  Always plan to leave a few days in advance, so if anything unexpected comes up, you always have plenty of time to jump in a bus or on a plane, and get out before you are on overstay.

The "7 days more" above can be used if some unexpected event happens is so time-consuming, that even your planned "buffer" period is not enough.

• Like 1

Better to have a clean sheet for now in case of possible as yet unknown future rule changes.

You may have noticed that Thailand doesn't always apply their laws in a consistent and logical style (according to Western logic anyway!)

Their right to do that of course, but why add another unknown?

Good luck.

• Like 1

I know a real story when about a month ago a guy was stopped by police on his way to the border with one day of overstay. He was arrested, lost 100 000 baht on lawyers, deported and banned for 5 years. He lived here 10 years. So, just DON'T overstay, they hunting overstayers now, it's dangerous.

Just duck across the border into Laos for a few days then back into Thailand. Do this near the end of your trip. I think, but will be corrected if I’m wrong that you will get 15 days if you cross back at the land border or 30 days if you fly back. It’ll cost you about 30USD for the Lao visa which you can get at the border or on arrival. 

At Mae Sai you can cross to Burma for 10USD for a day trip and get 15 days on re entry. It’s been a while since I’ve done both of these trips so others may have more up to date information. If it’s the first time shouldn’t be an issue. 

11 hours ago, Zack61 said:

I think, but will be corrected if I’m wrong that you will get 15 days if you cross back at the land border

It has been 30 days at land border crossing for a little over 2 years now since the rule limiting visa exempt entries at land borders to 2 per calendar year went effect.

14 hours ago, MrShin said:

I know a real story when about a month ago a guy was stopped by police on his way to the border with one day of overstay. He was arrested, lost 100 000 baht on lawyers, deported and banned for 5 years. He lived here 10 years. So, just DON'T overstay, they hunting overstayers now, it's dangerous.

I know it may have been gossip, but I was told that occasionally the Visa Run vans were targeted on their way to the border in a hope to catch an over-stayer. On the way back they were after people with too much duty free!

• 5 months later...

not sure what forum to post this, but there is someone i know on 2 mth overstay he has NO money now as his finances have not come to him (family matter). my question is what happens if he fronts up at the airport with no money to pay the fine or a ticket out.:hit-the-fan:

Edited by brianthainess

On 1/18/2019 at 5:49 AM, oskar55 said:

So, planning to overstay eh?  Very responsible. Maybe you'll end up in jail. No doubt you would think that a terrible thing, especially as you had planned it in advance. 

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

not sure what forum to post this, but there is someone i know on 2 mth overstay he has NO money now as his finances have not come to him (family matter). my question is what happens if he fronts up at the airport with no money to pay the fine or a ticket out.:hit-the-fan:

He will be placed in the Immigration Detention Center. And stay there until he can pay his fine and buy a ticket home. (Actually the fine can be reduced by length of stay in detention...but even if he stays long enough to zero it out still has to come up with funds for a one way ticket out).

He seriously does not want to be in the IDC, conditions are even worse than most prisons here.

It will all end up costing him vastly more than the overstay fine would have since he would likely forfeit his ticket and have to buy a new one -one-way. And he will suffer greatly in the IDC.

Best thing for him to do is l reschedule his flight to a later date and wait for the funds to arrive. Lay low in the interim. As soon as he has the funds, fly out.

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Mehar said:

So will there be a problem if i overstay my visa by 1 day ?

No problem with a one day overstay when leaving the country.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not even be fined 500 baht for one day of overstay.