Prince Philip, 97, escapes unhurt from car crash

webfact

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just shows that the most famous of Brit drivers don't do it much better than the Thais if even British prince displays low driving skills. ????????

Just a joke don't take my head off.

The guy should not be driving at his age.

He has one accident and you decide he shouldn't be driving? So when should drivers licences no longer be issued, 70, 80, or whenever you decide?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just shows that the most famous of Brit drivers don't do it much better than the Thais if even British prince displays low driving skills. ????????

Just a joke don't take my head off.

The guy should not be driving at his age.

At what age do you want to be taken off the roads?

Perhaps it would be sensible to await further details before rushing to judgment.It may not have been his fault.

I note he was given a breathalyser test which revealed no alcohol.Can you imagine the reaction if Thai police made a polite suggestion to a similar high status person?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He has one accident and you decide he shouldn't be driving? So when should drivers licences no longer be issued, 70, 80, or whenever you decide?

In the UK, driving licences expire at 70 years of age, so when you reach 70, you need to renew your driving licence if you wish to continue driving. You then need to renew it every three years afterwards. It is renewed based on the medical standards for driving that every driver must meet, no matter how old they are, and which conditions must be reported to the DVLA. This also includes your eyesight. 

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I believe older drivers should be regularly tested to see if they can still drive good, how their eyesight is and how their reaction speeds are. They can become a danger quite fast. I have seen it in my family. To act like this is not the case is just foolish. That being said there should not be a mandatory age but checks, so those that can drive should be able too.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

According to the Daily Wail he pulled out in front of someone and got t-boned. Time to hang up the driving gloves methinks.

He can still drive on the estates and drive his horse powered kit.

Pictures from the Daily Mail 

8672302-0-image-a-36_1547768932246.jpg

8672294-6604071-image-m-35_1547768920280.jpg

I agree.

The accident was clearly his fault and at 97 he shouldn't (IMO) be allowed to drive on public roads anymore.

The royal family have HUGE personal, estates - and so if he loves driving so much, he should be restricted to that personally owned land..

24 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

At what age do you want to be taken off the roads?

A very good point.  Personally, I think around 80 is probably a good age to be taken off the road - even if passing the mandatory 3 year testing?

It would be interesting to know how many ordinary people over the age of 80 have passed the mandatory testing.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I believe older drivers should be regularly tested to see if they can still drive good, how their eyesight is and how their reaction speeds are. They can become a danger quite fast. I have seen it in my family. To act like this is not the case is just foolish. That being said there should not be a mandatory age but checks, so those that can drive should be able too.

There are checks in the UK read post 34 not that it would apply to him i suppose only to us rabble, saying that i am 80 and don't trust myself driving especially here in Thailand!

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

According to the Daily Wail he pulled out in front of someone and got t-boned. Time to hang up the driving gloves methinks.

Claims he was "blinded by the winter sun". Although to be fair that road is apparently an accident black spot.

Nevertheless he should be charged, and dealt with as any other driver for causing an accident.

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Police said two people in a car that collided with that of the prince........

Implies that it was the fault of the Kia driver.

Not at all. The cheeky little Kia did indeed collide with the Land Rover since it was directly in its path. Judging from the diagrams it was clearly the fault of the person driving the LR who was coming off a minor road onto the B1439 rd.

No blame attached to the lucky couple that T-boned and rolled him.

The lucky pair will be able to tell their grandchildren about the day they rolled the Duke of Edinburgh. 

I hope HRH recovers from his injuries and lets others do the driving.

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

In the UK, driving licences expire at 70 years of age, so when you reach 70, you need to renew your driving licence if you wish to continue driving. You then need to renew it every three years afterwards. It is renewed based on the medical standards for driving that every driver must meet, no matter how old they are, and which conditions must be reported to the DVLA. This also includes your eyesight. 

Quite correct. Even these old farts :wink: are still allowed to operate motor vehicles.

image.jpeg.20683c655b85283340ac650560d7fb80.jpeg                        image.jpeg 

Sir Sir Stirling Moss 89              Sir Jackie Stewart 79 

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

"Dazzled by winter sunshine", my foot. Advanced old age and poor eyesight are way more likely to be the main causes of this accident.

97 years old - the man should not even be allowed to leave the house unattended!

A lot of "ageism" here....especially given that probably 80% of ThaiVisa's members are near their 80s!!

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Kia vs Land Rover... Kia wins ???? 
Before this, my bet would have on the Land Rover

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Kate Williams royal historian said it would be a blow if the incident would end his driving days, what !!

Get a life woman, silly old buffer should not have been driving, license? Ohh that is only a requirement for the peasants.

He will need a doctors certificate like anybody else to renew his driving licence every 3 year which he would have probably done last year.

The problem many doctors are reluctant to refuse issue such certs.

One thing for sure if he is physically fit enough, compos mentis and his reaction times are good enough then there is no reason why he should not be allowed to drive.

Maybe having older drivers having to do an assessment in a simulator would not be a bad thing before renewing their licence. 

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

He will need a doctors certificate like anybody else to renew his driving licence every 3 year which he would have probably done last year.

The problem many doctors are reluctant to refuse issue such certs.

One thing for sure if he is physically fit enough, compos mentis and his reaction times are good enough then there is no reason why he should not be allowed to drive.

Maybe having older drivers having to do an assessment in a simulator would not be a bad thing before renewing their licence. 

"He will need a doctors certificate like anybody else to renew his driving licence every 3 year"

Forgive me for doubting the part of your post that I've emboldened.....

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Claims he was "blinded by the winter sun". Although to be fair that road is apparently an accident black spot.

Nevertheless he should be charged, and dealt with as any other driver for causing an accident.

He will be, and being the Man he is wont ask privileged.Their Royals get done for speeding too.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Once again, he has one accident and you decide he's too old to drive, but that's par for the course with your history of ageism.  What's your stand on 18 year old drivers who have multiple accidents because of crazy driving?

Apparently according to actuarial info. Young drivers who are within 6 months of getting their license are more likely to have an accident than older drivers within 6 months of quitting driving. read this on one of the reports on Prince Phillip's accident

Could be because the older drivers simply die rather than quitting driving but still...

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Well before that age especially if i show signs of not being able to handle the car good anymore.

Are you seriously basing his driving skills, or lack of, based on one accident? If that was the case 99% of people in Thailand shouldn't be driving.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Once again, he has one accident and you decide he's too old to drive, but that's par for the course with your history of ageism.  What's your stand on 18 year old drivers who have multiple accidents because of crazy driving?

You obviously cannot read i said someone should test them. Besides this is what SHOULD be happening in the UK according to UK laws. You should read the topic. Thankfully in the UK they do test old drivers.

In my country they do a test at 75.. i guess its all ageism in your mind. I guess when whole countries decide this they were wrong and you are right. Your boring questioning older peoples ability to drive is normal and should be done.

Same goes for 18 year old people who get in too many accidents.  

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

They still let him drive??? :shock1: :blink: :shock1:

why not if he has good eyesight, focus and reactions? Every three years he has to be tested.

What happened to him could happen to anyone. Some of those entries onto main roads in the UK are highly dangerous. People drive very fast and you have to nose out as far as you dare to see traffic. Dips in the road, fog, overgrowth and other features make visibility really tough.

56 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Kia vs Land Rover... Kia wins ???? 
Before this, my bet would have on the Land Rover

Do not knock Land Rover, he walked away from that...

From the diagram he was at fault, suspect he will be reported for driving without due care and attention, and takes the "Driver Awareness Coarse" option, thereby not being prosecuted, and probably agree (to her who must be obeyed) not to drive on public roads. 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you seriously basing his driving skills, or lack of, based on one accident? If that was the case 99% of people in Thailand shouldn't be driving.

His driving skills.. learn to read and follow the topic, maybe its your age that makes it hard to read. The guy asked me when I should be taken off the road and that is what i replied on. 

I said I should be taken of the road long before 98 if i show signs of not being able to handle the car good. So after a test. What is so wrong to test older people as they are quite likely to get slower reaction speeds with age and disease. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

His driving skills.. learn to read and follow the topic, maybe its your age that makes it hard to read. The guy asked me when I should be taken off the road and that is what i replied on. 

I said I should be taken of the road long before 98 if i show signs of not being able to handle the car good. So after a test. What is so wrong to test older people as they are quite likely to get slower reaction speeds with age and disease. 

And I said he is tested, as are all people over 70 in the UK every 3 years. That's the law, live with it and stop trying to suggest that everyone over 70 should either be dead or in a nursing home. Young drivers are a far greater risk to themselves and others than the elderly. perhaps they should undergo driver training regularly.

11 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Do not knock Land Rover, he walked away from that...

From the diagram he was at fault, suspect he will be reported for driving without due care and attention, and takes the "Driver Awareness Coarse" option, thereby not being prosecuted, and probably agree (to her who must be obeyed) not to drive on public roads. 

Don't you worry.... I'll buy a Land Rover over a Kia anytime ????

Imagine that Philip was in the Kia and T-boned by the Land Rover! Very different outcome, surely ????

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And I said he is tested, as are all people over 70 in the UK every 3 years. That's the law, live with it and stop trying to suggest that everyone over 70 should either be dead or in a nursing home. Young drivers are a far greater risk to themselves and others than the elderly. perhaps they should undergo driver training regularly.

You really think that the prince would have to take a test as the normal people. I like it how naive you are. 

I never suggested over 70 should be dead or in a nursing home.. they should be tested to see if they become drama queens like you who take everything as a personal insult. 

Archived